Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Iowa
THOR #5064
Help! Burning up!

Just finishing up a 600+ mile trek in my 2017 Freedom Elite. All went smooth except the passenger side is unbearable after driving about an hour. The doghouse gets so hot no one can stand sitting up front! The outside temp was at the highest, maybe 70s, and most of our driving was done in the evening with cool temps outside. This helped some (very little) since we were able to drive with windows down but passengers didn't last long up front.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's no fun roadtripping with your passengers all in the back!

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniC413 View Post
Just finishing up a 600+ mile trek in my 2017 Freedom Elite. All went smooth except the passenger side is unbearable after driving about an hour. The doghouse gets so hot no one can stand sitting up front! The outside temp was at the highest, maybe 70s, and most of our driving was done in the evening with cool temps outside. This helped some (very little) since we were able to drive with windows down but passengers didn't last long up front.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's no fun roadtripping with your passengers all in the back!

Thanks!
I would suggest looking up from the engine compartment toward the bottom side of the dog house and see if you can spot the reason for the heat. The other option is to remove the doghouse and look under it for the source of heat.
You may find that the insulation is off or gone, at least that is what it sounds like to me.
SuperD has re-insulated his doghouse and I think you can see that on "Jerry's Mod" thread.

Best I can come up with not really knowing your model very well.
Recie
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:31 AM   #3

THOR #8249
I just figured out you have a Class C on a F-450 chassis. There isn't much of a doghouse there.
Still, lift the hood and give a good look under there. If there is a removable doghouse, remove it and inspect. Also look at heater control valve and ducting, just to make sure that wasnt the problem. (I don't really think it is).
Did you hear an exhaust leak? If the exhaust manifold was blowing up against the firewall/doghouse, that might do it. Again, that is probably stretching reality.
Recie
Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Iowa
THOR #5064
Thanks for the reply. When we pulled over for a stop I did a quick look around & there was a latch open allowing all the hot air to vent right on the passenger side floor. Realigned the insulation & latched it back up & so much better!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #5

THOR #8249
Cool!! (literally )
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You might want to think about re insulating your doghouse. Many of us have done the insulation mod with a big reduction in heat and noise. Here is a link showing how I did mine. Thor Forums - View Single Post - Jerry's Hurricane mods
Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Must be something amiss. My 2017 Freedom Elite also is on an E450 chassis and has shown no such problems in 7500 miles including 4000 out through New Mexico and Arizona earlier in the summer. My wife would certainly let me know if she was uncomfortable and she hasn't said a word. And I've not noticed anything toasty when she has driven. I think I'd take some temperature readings with an infrared thermometer and then go show them to a Ford service manager.

Tags
doghouse, hot