Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Help me understand the gas spring on the main entrance door

I feel like this is a something I should know..... but

Mine does a great job of holding the door open, but it slams it open.

Do I have it wrong? it seems to me that it should open slowly, with this thing acting as a cushion.

A couple times I would swear that it functioned as I'm imagining, but then it just slams it open again when i double check it

I'm thinking of replacing it, but don't want to spend money on something that is just fine.....

Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I feel like this is a something I should know..... but

Mine does a great job of holding the door open, but it slams it open.

Do I have it wrong? it seems to me that it should open slowly, with this thing acting as a cushion.

A couple times I would swear that it functioned as I'm imagining, but then it just slams it open again when i double check it

I'm thinking of replacing it, but don't want to spend money on something that is just fine.....
Those cylinders are designed to open easier than closing. You do not want it slamming shut on someone's fingers or hard to open in an emergency.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #3

THOR #908
but are they supposed to push the door open... as in slam it open?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Two coaches from two manufacturers and both opened in a manner that my wife considers excessive. If we do not hold the door when it opens then yes someone would consider it slamming open.

With that said, on neither coach did we have an issue with the door hitting things such as awning arms etc... when it opened.

If you are not comfortable with it see if the dealer is willing to get a lower rated cylinder and install it on the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Odd... I don't have such a gas strut on my door. Never knew one was needed.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
I have a Thor Ace and my door has a strut which opens door smoothly. Try checking doors on other coaches at a dealer and compare with yours.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
One additional note, if you have the strut replaced with a lower rated one, you face the chance of the door bouncing around in the wind during camping. Our camping time is generally all seasons except summer and during the spring and fall we like to have the windows and door open. We have not had any issues with the door bouncing even when the wind was high enough to require retracting the awning.

The flip side of that is when 9on my prior coach) the wind was blowing against the inside surface of the door while opening, it did cause the door handle to be forced out of my wife's hand once or twice.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #8

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Odd... I don't have such a gas strut on my door. Never knew one was needed.
Mine is under the door, barely visible
Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie322 View Post
I have a Thor Ace and my door has a strut which opens door smoothly. Try checking doors on other coaches at a dealer and compare with yours.
OK, yours is the only response so far that indicates there should be some dampening effect in the opening action.

Since I can't find a source online (of an exact match) I think I'll make a run down to camping world to see what they stock.....

As I have researched it further, it seems that some gas springs have a damping effect designed in, and some may not.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
OK, yours is the only response so far that indicates there should be some dampening effect in the opening action.

Since I can't find a source online (of an exact match) I think I'll make a run down to camping world to see what they stock.....

As I have researched it further, it seems that some gas springs have a damping effect designed in, and some may not.
You may have better luck at your local auto parts store. Those gas struts are the same ones used in various auto applications such as hoods and trunks as well as the lift gates on SUVs.

The strut should have a lift rating in relationship to pounds supported.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

THOR #908
yes, good point... except I have yet to determine if there is a difference, or how to tell.... as in some give a dampening effect while others are just direct open force.

The one on my door is rated at 20# force for what its worth....
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One additional note, if you have the strut replaced with a lower rated one, you face the chance of the door bouncing around in the wind during camping.....
The gas strut on my door appears to be properly rated. It will open the door on it's own pressure if you don't keep a hand on the door.

However, when it's fully extended, there is enough play in the ball-joint mounts and the strut itself to allow the door to be moved back and forth by the wind. I have checked the new models, and they have just as much play as mine, no difference.

It's not just limited to the Thor doors, but also the Winnebago, and other brands they had on their lot. I noticed this when McMahon's RV was still in business in Westminster, CA. It's a dealership located about four miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, but it still gets the nice afternoon ocean breeze. ALL the motorhomes with the doors open were flapping in the wind on their gas struts when I went shopping. And, you could hear many of them in unison banging gently, (about 1/8" to 1/2" of play), back and forth with the breeze.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
One other way that I look at this is maybe I need to hold the door when it opens because that gas strut has a little too much pressure, however, and I hope it never happens, I feel confident that if my catch ever winds up laying on the driver's side that strut will hold the door open when someone is climbing out.

Bottom line is that everyone must make their own decisions as to what is important to them.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #14

THOR #908
Dropped into CW today at lunch
They had an "open house" set up in the parking lot. A few used units, class c, a cou[ple 5th wheels, a bumper pull TT, and an A
one had a strut mounted above the door
the rest had nothing

In the store, the closest thing they had i the length I needed was a 15# (the factory one is 20#)
When released from a compressed position, it slowly extends, nice and easy. Not like mine at all.
So.... I bought it. I'm figuring 5# isn't going to make too much difference.....
Old 07-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #2262
Gas strut on door.

My 2016 Vegas 24.1 had the gas strut come apart just after getting the Vegas before any trips! The tech fixing put lock tite on all threads and it is perfect. We just hold door until almost open fully and all is well. It could hit awning frame or part of the coach if the strut was not there. The door closes really well and I do not think the strut does anything when we are closing the door. It works as designed and changing function would not make mine work better!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #4532
gas strut fitting

Hi

Does anyone have an image of the gas strut fastening at the bottom of the entry door. Mine is missing and I would like to see what should be there.

Terryo
Old 08-07-2017, 01:36 AM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryo View Post
Hi Does anyone have an image of the gas strut fastening at the bottom of the entry door. Mine is missing and I would like to see what should be there. Terryo

Should just be a small hole near the hinge. The strut snaps over a special bolt that goes down through that hole.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #18

THOR #908
here's the only picture I have of ours.... it's looking up from the ground
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas strut.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	6229  
Old 08-07-2017, 02:37 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #4532
gas strut fitting

Thanks

It's the fitting the strut attaches to that is under the door that I am interested in. sorry I didn't make that clear.