Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
BC1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: New York
THOR #20090
Funny black tank story

Hi all,

Took new (to me) RV out on 2nd trip. First night black tank shows full but it shouldn't be so I figured sensor clogged. Then toilet is full to top. So I figure ok it's clogged (but really shouldn't based ALL use and RV toilet paper I know about). Can't unclog it - thinking I have to call someone in the morning. As I'm laying in bed not able to sleep because I have to now use CG restroom during Covid and 40ish degree weather - I am thinking something isn't matching up and I just know it shouldn't be clogged. I go out to the back of RV at midnight and I'm looking around outside & spot a 3rd tank valve. I've had 5 other RVs and they all only had a black & grey valve in the normal spot for dumping. When I bought this previous owner didn't mention this additional valve. When I get on the ground I can see it clearly goes only from black tank. So apparently I have to open that valve first then it goes down the long drain to the other side of the RV "normal" spot where the other two valves are. I pull it and YUP that's the problem.

What is the purpose of this? The is the first RV I think I've had where the bathroom is on the opposite side of the dumping valves. Is that why it has this set up?

Take care,
Beth

Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
That seems to be common on rigs that have the toilet on the "passenger side" of the rig. My previous one was that way. Exactly why they do that, I do not know.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
So now I have a gross question for you.... Did you fill up this black tank on your first trip? or was that left over from the previous owner.

Yuck. Its bad enough its your own waste but if its someone elses its somehow worse.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
BC1

THOR #20090
No, no - it was definitely empty when I got it - they only used it ONE TIME and they were total clean freaks like I am. On our first trip we used the grey tank but not much in the black tank (or so I thought) so when I went to dump it after first trip I felt stuff came out (but I guess that was just what was in the pipe between the two valves?) I didn't pay attention to how much and if I had I would have realized we used more than came out. That is why I knew on the first night of the 2nd trip the tank really shouldn't be full.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well thats good. It take about a full year before you know your RV inside and out really well.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
BC1

THOR #20090
I was so excited rushing to get a couple of quick trips in and trying to get some time off work that I really didn't pay attention much. A bad thing in hindsight and looking back I don't know how I didn't see that extra valve LOL. Now that we're done for the season I'll be getting to know her MUCH better. I'm really a hands-on person on anyway and the more I know the less someone else has to mess around with stuff in my RV - which is the way I want it and why winterizing myself is next on the list, but not to worry I know my limits and I research everything to death, plus I have had other RVs and I've do a lot of my house maintenance, renovations, etc myself so I think I'll be ok.

Take care,
Beth