Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum GR22
State: California
THOR #8027
Hide-A-Spare

Does anyone know if the BAL 28218 Hide-A-Spare can be installed on a Ford E-450 chassis? I've had too many blowouts to drive my new Quantum GR22 any significant distance without bringing along a spare wheel and tire.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Was wondering the same thing on our E450 VEGAS...
Old 06-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Are the tires/wheels on your rig all the same? Just wondering. The service guy where we bought our Challenger said if we want to carry a spare, we would need to either choose between the front tires/wheels, the rear outer pair, or the rear inner pair; or carry one of each. That discouraged me from pursuing carrying a spare tire.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Are the tires/wheels on your rig all the same? Just wondering. The service guy where we bought our Challenger said if we want to carry a spare, we would need to either choose between the front tires/wheels, the rear outer pair, or the rear inner pair; or carry one of each. That discouraged me from pursuing carrying a spare tire.
Yep, his lips were moving!! NEVER EVER take a salesman word for anything, if he tells you the sky is blue, go look outside for yourself.
Unless Thor REALLY REALLY messed up when putting your axles on, the front wheel can be turned around to go on the outside of the rear. If by chance you have fancy wheels (not hub caps) then yes the front goes on the front & rear on outside, but that inside rear wheel can go front or rear just turn it around, just get a plain steel wheel as a spare & it will go front or rear inside or out.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
probably depends on the model. These E-450 chassis are modified.
Mine is one of the long stretched models, and there's a good bit of room under it. I have an under frame spare rack bought through Thor, made by the outfit that does their frame stretching for them. It's a very simple thing that could be fabed up by any welder.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #6

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Unless Thor REALLY REALLY messed up when putting your axles on, the front wheel can be turned around to go on the outside of the rear. If by chance you have fancy wheels (not hub caps) then yes the front goes on the front & rear on outside, but that inside rear wheel can go front or rear just turn it around, just get a plain steel wheel as a spare & it will go front or rear inside or out.
Hmm... thanks TT. I will check into this for myself then, because I would like to carry a spare for reasons discussed in another thread by people much more experienced than I am.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
The Challenger comes with aluminum wheels. They are not the same all over. Just the outside wheels are aluminum that means there are three different wheels. But a steel wheel should fit any location in an emergency, or You could carry a spare tire only and a tire place can change them on the side of the road if you have the tire, they have the tools. Our class C's all have the same wheels with hubcaps, much easier to have a spare. Mine actually came with one underneath. I moved it to the back bumper so it is easier to get at, and I could display my Disney Campground tire cover.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I believe BAL says it cannot be used for a MH spare. I used this on my last travel trailer and it was terrific. But it is quite lightweight, bordering on flimsy. I do not think it would support my 16 inch Ford E-450 wheel because it is quite a lot heavier that a trailer wheel.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #9

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I believe BAL says it cannot be used for a MH spare. I used this on my last travel trailer and it was terrific. But it is quite lightweight, bordering on flimsy. I do not think it would support my 16 inch Ford E-450 wheel because it is quite a lot heavier that a trailer wheel.
Then it likely won't work on mine either, 22" wheels. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #10

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
The Challenger comes with aluminum wheels. They are not the same all over. Just the outside wheels are aluminum that means there are three different wheels. But a steel wheel should fit any location in an emergency, or You could carry a spare tire only and a tire place can change them on the side of the road if you have the tire, they have the tools. Our class C's all have the same wheels with hubcaps, much easier to have a spare. Mine actually came with one underneath. I moved it to the back bumper so it is easier to get at, and I could display my Disney Campground tire cover.
We have the Good Sam road assistance, I believe Camping World gives them free with new buys. So I'd never try to change a flat myself, but have read it's good to carry a spare in case the service folk wherever we are don't have one.

So did I read you correctly, you're saying if I have a 22" tire only, the service truck that responds should be able to strip the flat from its rim, put the spare on that rim (regardless which wheel it is), and fill it up and I'm on the road again?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
I've had a few blow outs in our last motor home it had a spare its heavy and not easy to do but I did it our new to us used one did not have one so I bought a roadmaster a wheel and a used tire I've got about $800 in it but for me it's piece of mind I bought the tire and put it in storage for our first road trip after reading posts on here good luck happy trails
Old 06-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I also use a Roadmaster 195225 and while it certainly is spendy at $500 it's also very well made and has some nice features. I hope I never need my spare but it gives me considerable peace of mind in the meantime.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #13

THOR #7863
The Roadmaster looks like a good solution, thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
probably depends on the model. These E-450 chassis are modified.
Mine is one of the long stretched models, and there's a good bit of room under it. I have an under frame spare rack bought through Thor, made by the outfit that does their frame stretching for them. It's a very simple thing that could be fabed up by any welder.
So, THOR offers a "under carriage" spare solution? Any part numbers you may have on this?

With the 25.2 and rear slide, we definitely are looking at an undercarriage solution.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
here's a photo of it.
There were two tabs already welded to the frame. The two tabs you see on the back corners of the rack with holes, line up to the tabs on the frame. A bolt lines up to these to make a hinge point

at the 3rd corner, the white sticker is covering a predrilled hole that lined up with a threaded stud that was already welded in a vertical position to my MH frame...or maybe it was a bolt...can't remember for sure

Also a photo that partially shows it installed. I backed up the nut with a safety chain, just because.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire rack.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	5569   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	5572