Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
High pitch Whistling sound.

I have a 2016 ACE motorhome. I have a high pitch whistling noise coming from the front end seems to only be when its raining. Any thoughts ??

Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I had the same problem with the whistle only in the rain. There are a few posts about the whistle under normal driving but non during rain. Any way I never found out why or how come it happens only in the rain. Some thought it might be the wheel well causing the problem. So I ended up following the thoughts of the whistle all the time folks. That required getting a different grill from Thor. I called Thor customer service up and trying to explain to them what happens (which was hard) they said they would ship me the replacement grill.

Once the grill arrived I was going to take the original one off and replace with the new style. I realized that I really did not want to start that project. So I took duck tape and taped the edges of the new grill, screwed it (using original grill screws) to the back of the original grill.

Result that during rain my whistle factor has been cut down to almost nothing. I do find alittle whistle around the 50-55 speed but nothing like I used to. Good Luck
Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
If your coach has the plastic grill that has the square holes, then that is the cause of the whistle. I had the same issue and when i brought it up to Thor, they were well aware and sent a replacement grill that is kinda like wire mesh.

It is a pretty easy change as it is only a few nuts to remove from inside the hood. Really shouldnt even require a trip to the dealer. Call Thor and they will send a new grill to you.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #4

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Thanks for the info. I will call tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:41 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreitas View Post
If your coach has the plastic grill that has the square holes, then that is the cause of the whistle. I had the same issue and when i brought it up to Thor, they were well aware and sent a replacement grill that is kinda like wire mesh.

It is a pretty easy change as it is only a few nuts to remove from inside the hood. Really shouldnt even require a trip to the dealer. Call Thor and they will send a new grill to you.
I have the replacement mesh grill, but it was much thinner than original plastic. I was afraid the original screws might penetrate too far, all the way through the fiberglass.

Any concern here?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
When I looked at doing mine, I was going to get shorter screws. I felt the ones that held on the original grill were to long. Thats when I thought I would just put the new grill behind the original.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I put the new grill in front of the old one, the smaller holes act as a bug screen.