Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Home Depot Military Discount Update

For those veterans out there that may or may not have qualified for HomeDepot's Military Discount in the past, you probably do now. Spouses as well (but not dependents or prior dependents). Check out the announcement here:

https://corporate.homedepot.com/news...itary-discount

But that's not the end of the good news. Even if you qualified for HomeDepot's military discount previously, if the item wasn't in the store you were SOL as you couldn't get the discount by ordering online. Well, HD finally figured out they were losing online customers to Lowes that had instituted their "MyLowes" account with military discounts online for veterans that had gone through the "Been Verified" process.

HD can now also verify your military status with their online accounts at:

https://www.homedepot.com/military/discount

Just login or create an Online Account and fill out the verification info. It's instantaneous (at least it was for me). Then using the HD app on your phone logged into the same account you just scan a QR code on your phone at the register to get the discount:

I'm glad to see HD finally made it to the 21st century!

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #2

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
For those veterans out there that may or may not have qualified for HomeDepot's Military Discount in the past, you probably do now. Spouses as well (but not dependents or prior dependents). Check out the announcement here:

But that's not the end of the good news. Even if you qualified for HomeDepot's military discount previously, if the item wasn't in the store you were SOL as you couldn't get the discount by ordering online. Well, HD finally figured out they were losing online customers to Lowes that had instituted their "MyLowes" account with military discounts online for veterans that had gone through the "Been Verified" process.

Just login or create an Online Account and fill out the verification info. It's instantaneous (at least it was for me). Then using the HD app on your phone logged into the same account you just scan a QR code on your phone at the register to get the discount:

I'm glad to see HD finally made it to the 21st century!
Thanks I'll look into that again. In the past they were so inconsistent it was easier, and more reliable to go to Lowes and yes HD lost a lot of business.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Thank you.

They told me at Home Depot that since I was not disabled, active duty or retired military that I did not matter to them - regardless of my service commitment to this great nation. Like many others, I have taken *ALL* of my business to Lowes, who does appreciate people like me.
I will still stick with Lowes as my primary shopping place, but will give big-orange a chance for things I can’t find at Lowes.

I will say that Registration and Acceptance by Home Depot went very well and fast. In 2 minutes or less. No personal info other than your name, DOB, DOD and military branch were required.
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Thank you.

They told me at Home Depot that since I was not disabled, active duty or retired military that I did not matter to them - regardless of my service commitment to this great nation. Like many others, I have taken *ALL* of my business to Lowes, who does appreciate people like me.
I will still stick with Lowes as my primary shopping place, but will give big-orange a chance for things I can’t find at Lowes.

I will say that Registration and Acceptance by Home Depot went very well and fast. In 2 minutes or less. No personal info other than your name, DOB, DOD and military branch were required.
Well, the ball is in Lowes court now. They went from requiring your ID to requiring you to get a MyLowes account (with a bar coded card or bar code stickers you could just put on your credit card - quite convenient) and GetVerified so you could just scan the barcode and go. Then, because this was too difficult for people they allowed you to just give your phone number associated with your MyLowes account when you checked out. But the scammers among us were smart enough to listen and memorize someone else's phone number so they could get the discount. So to combat that, now you're back to showing an ID at Lowes when you check out and scan your MyLowes barcode. I've even run into cashiers that insisted that ID had to be your Drivers License and wouldn't accept my Military ID until I had them call their head cashier over to get trained.

So now Lowes has self-checkout but every time you scan your MyLowes card on checkout you have to wait for the attending cashier to come over and verify you're not a criminal. I've had to wait for them to finish checking out another customer who was incapable of using the self-checkout and the best? Was when the self-checkout cashier had wandered over to run a regular checkout register because the one regular register line was so long. It turns a 30 second self-checkout run into a 5 to 10 minute ordeal.

Hopefully, the HD system will work smoother.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:17 PM   #5

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:

I'm glad to see HD finally made it to the 21st century!:tTO M

Just seems to me like some other tracking device. This is the world we live in, not that I don't appreciate it. Lowes does the same thing, it used to be good on anything in the store not now. I thank them but anything is better than nothing, or is it?
Old 02-07-2022, 02:22 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
[QUOTE=craigd853;334175]
Quote:

I'm glad to see HD finally made it to the 21st century!:tTO M

Just seems to me like some other tracking device. This is the world we live in, not that I don't appreciate it. Lowes does the same thing, it used to be good on anything in the store not now. I thank them but anything is better than nothing, or is it?
You know everything you buy in the store is tracked to you anyway by your credit card? That's why you don't need a receipt to return something, just your credit card.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:42 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Home Depot lost me way before they quit their military discount program. Lowes has always just been better to me and it is easy to check out. I just show my military ID card and get the discount. It makes every thing basiclly tax free.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:22 AM   #8

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Easy decision for me. No Home Depot within 80 miles of me; but we have a Lowes.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #9

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
I am a veteran and receive the discounts at both Lows and Home Depot.

Thank you
Old 02-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #10

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
I had signed up for both previously and have used both online and instore. Worked well at both places. 10% at both. Thx, Dennis.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #13859
It's about time!

Have been loyal to Lowes for years and have hardly used HD due to cumbersome military discount program. Perhaps I'll start shopping at both again. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #21176
Thanks for posting this. Like others lowe’s has had my business for years already with their year round veteran discount and veteran parking. There have been occasions where lowe’s was out of stock or something and I was forced to go to Home Depot so at least it doesn’t automatically mean paying full price now.