Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Your list sounds very similar to mine. When I switched from my fifth wheel, one of my non negotiable requirements was a usable vehicle with the slides in. In my ACE 29.4, the bed doesn't fold so I have a full size camper king fully available. (can't get into the main drawers with the bedroom slide in). Regarding your original Walmart question, I prefer not to open my slides with stabilizing and leveling, which I won't do in a Walmart parking lot. I have seen folks doing it, but I don't wont to abuse there hospitality. Good luck in your search, enjoy the journey.
Thank you. I don't ever recall seeing the 29.4 floor plan. We tried to buy the 29.3 last year but it is now discontinued. We looked at Coachman Pursuit 29SS that had bed fully accessible but you could not open ANY of drawers or wardrobe without slide being out. By contrast the 27B while the bed flips, you can access all drawers and wardrobe with slide in or out.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Thank you. I don't ever recall seeing the 29.4 floor plan. We tried to buy the 29.3 last year but it is now discontinued. We looked at Coachman Pursuit 29SS that had bed fully accessible but you could not open ANY of drawers or wardrobe without slide being out. By contrast the 27B while the bed flips, you can access all drawers and wardrobe with slide in or out.
29.4 floor plan was discontinued in 2019. There's a couple 2018s still out there. No bunks, decent size bathroom, great layout for my wife and I. One thing I found I really like is both slides open on drivers side making it nice and roomy under the awning. Outdoor kitchen (refrigerator and sink) get used often, tv not so much. Happy hunting.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #43

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
We made our first trip with our 2016 Thor A.C.E 27 ft. Our first time extending our slide my finger slipped off of the button. Next thing we know, it is extending crooked and would not slide back in fully! We were told that we should never stop midway as it gets out of sync. To reset we had to fully extend it and after it stops continue holding the button for a count of 10 seconds. We noticed it adjusted itself. Upon retracting the alide, again hold for a count of 10 before releasing the button. We have had no more problems with our slide.
We run our refrigerator on auto when we are not plugged in.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
29.4 floor plan was discontinued in 2019. There's a couple 2018s still out there. No bunks, decent size bathroom, great layout for my wife and I. One thing I found I really like is both slides open on drivers side making it nice and roomy under the awning. Outdoor kitchen (refrigerator and sink) get used often, tv not so much. Happy hunting.
I found three 29.4s all were used and a long ways from, but you are right that is a very nice layout for us. Similar to 29.3 but not with the wall slide. I assume the bed does not flip up / over in your 29.4 It just looks as if the 27b is frontrunner for us. I have to started to fall in love with it's size and the Multiplex system despite no outdoor kitchen and flip over bed.

With that understood, we will buy new or slightly used 2019 with warranty still remaining. My first RV have Mfg warranty but no ESP. If the quality [proves to be where a warranty is essential, I will sell and go back to my tent which i love by the way. We may be the only RV'ers that will have our tent in basement 24/7.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMott View Post
We made our first trip with our 2016 Thor A.C.E 27 ft. Our first time extending our slide my finger slipped off of the button. Next thing we know, it is extending crooked and would not slide back in fully! We were told that we should never stop midway as it gets out of sync. To reset we had to fully extend it and after it stops continue holding the button for a count of 10 seconds. We noticed it adjusted itself. Upon retracting the alide, again hold for a count of 10 before releasing the button. We have had no more problems with our slide.
We run our refrigerator on auto when we are not plugged in.
Do they expect you to follow that procedure every time or just when you know it has gone faulty? Your case is an example of poor design and why I say the RV Mfg are responsible for 90% of the issues. Even if your finger did not slip one may not know that the slide is actually fully extended or fully retracted. If this is known concern, the design should be that you hold button to extend/retract until you hear some type of finish chime from the unit. Or better that if unit ever stops within any point that is not previous limit it issues yellow warning and requires a manual reset. There are a number of fixes. There are some very smart people at Thor which makes me draw conclusion that the industry may not want to see this problem fixed?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #46

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
You need to do it every time. That does not mean that if you forget and stop it half way, that it will jam. But every time you don’t sync the motors, they can get a little more out of sync until the slide does jam. This is not a Thor issue - it is the slide manufacturers issue - that has become Thor’s issue and yours. At the end of the cycle, you can hear the motors sync and then stop. Just keep the button pushed until it is quiet. Then you will know it is all the way in or out and synced.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #47

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
You need to do it every time. That does not mean that if you forget and stop it half way, that it will jam. But every time you don’t sync the motors, they can get a little more out of sync until the slide does jam. This is not a Thor issue - it is the slide manufacturers issue - that has become Thor’s issue and yours. At the end of the cycle, you can hear the motors sync and then stop. Just keep the button pushed until it is quiet. Then you will know it is all the way in or out and synced.
Thank you sir and TR Mott I feel like Bert for saying; but that is critical need to know information. I think I can handle that and will certainly play with the next time we go look at a unit. I plan to buy unit with Firefly Multiflex so it is touchscreen control.

Also, if I had situation where say I did not wish to extend the bedroom slide all the way out as an exception, I could do, but right behind it I purposely run the reset re-resync; would I be okay?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #48

THOR #1765
If I ever stop the slide half way (I had someone walk in front of mine when I was opening it once) I always try to open it up the whole way (or close it the whole way, if it stops while you are closing it). If I have any indication that it is binding at all or if one of the motors stays on longer than usual, I will go thru the resync cycle.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #49

THOR #13058
Quote:
If I ever stop the slide half way (I had someone walk in front of mine when I was opening it once) I always try to open it up the whole way (or close it the whole way, if it stops while you are closing it). If I have any indication that it is binding at all or if one of the motors stays on longer than usual, I will go thru the resync cycle.
If it would not create a crisis in the industry or finger point as to why the slide fail, I could only see two scenarios where I may wish to extend one of the two slide about a foot before retracting. Both scenarios assume that I buy a 27B.

1. If parked in my driveway and I wanted to use full bed. I would only extend the bedroom slide out so it length from RV side would be identical to length off the wall as the main living area slide. This would allow me to park the RV as far as possible to my fence which would be on driver side to access everything. If were to extend the bedroom slide all the way out it cuts into the space that would be used for my cars.

2. If I were boondocking in public i.e. Wal Mart, If I extend my bedroom slide out about 1 foot, I don't have to flip the bed over and can sleep on full King size mattress

I would never have need to go halfway on the main living area slide. I think I would only need to extend the bedroom slide out halfway a few times a year, but geeeeeese; if it it going to be that much trouble

If reset really works, it is easy enough for me to just reset it every time I use PERIOD. I pull the exhaust plugs and shut battery switch to off everytime I use my boat. That way I know I never have any issues.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #50

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
If my questions are off the mark please let me know, I may cry a little; but I can handle it. Besides you won't see me cry anyway.

1.) With respect to slides, motors etc. Is the reliability better for a unit with single full wall slide versus units with 2 smaller slides for bedroom and living area?

2) Assume a bedroom slide where if you extend slide out half way; 18 inch's or so; where the bed can be fully extended. Is it a no no, or damaging to continually extend slide half way or so, and retract without going out all of the way?

3) For the standard Norcold Refrigerators that are electric / propane. Assume you have coach with inverter and AGS. Why wouldn't you wire the electrical side of refrigerator with switch so it can gets power through inverter? It would effectively be Electrical, Propane & Battery.

4) I have seen few units with two ACs where both units are in main coach. The bedroom can only get air through the ducts if opened. This seems clever to me, but is it really advantageous?

5) If you have unit with Outdoor kitchen (small refrigerator and small sink)... how practical or valuable is that for you? I am trying to rationalize when I may actually use and if I will need to move drinks in and out of the house to go outside? I don't know if you actually leave on all the time even while driving? I guess if you stop to get gas you could go get a cold coke without having to go back in the coach?

All responses are welcome, just reference the question #
1) it’s the same motors/track system these days. The bigger concern in my mind is the ability to retract the slide in manual mode. Being stuck in an issue with my full DS slide right now, it was quite the p.i.t.a. to push that thing in my self. Doable, but very difficult.

2) I can’t think of a compelling reason to partially extend a slide. One of the requirements I had mentally was usability of my rig without extending the slide. I needed to be able to use the bathroom and be able to sleep in all beds without the slide. Cramped for sure, but doable.

3) I have a residential fridge due to need of the larger size for my family of 5 & we often have extended family or kids friends with us. I run the generator during load-up prep & while we drive.

4) I actually like having the AC unit above us in the bedroom. I’m a big fan of white noise to fall asleep, and running the fan on low serves that purpose nicely. There was a time last year staying at a Yogi Bear campground where they had an 80’s Concert that was going on significantly later than the kiddos were staying up. Inside the RV, we could barely hear it.

5) Having an outside kitchen moved from “highly desirable” into “critical, must have” if we ever trade ours in and get a different one. It’s a refrigerator, sink, counter and shelves/1-drawer & we always set up our grill right next to it. Beers, non-perishable condiments, paper plates, cups etc. are there and it keeps everyone from going inside for any of that stuff. For Kids this is especially useful, and as “the chief outside cooker” having my beers next to the grill under the awning is priceless.

Best comment in this thread is where someone said that it really depends on how you want to use your RV. As a family of 5, commonly bringing friends & family, also commonly joining other families on extended weekend trips—it’s much different for me than some of the retirees on this board who are looking to explore this great world we live in.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #51

THOR #1765
Quote:
If it would not create a crisis in the industry or finger point as to why the slide fail, I could only see two scenarios where I may wish to extend one of the two slide about a foot before retracting. Both scenarios assume that I buy a 27B.

1. If parked in my driveway and I wanted to use full bed. I would only extend the bedroom slide out so it length from RV side would be identical to length off the wall as the main living area slide. This would allow me to park the RV as far as possible to my fence which would be on driver side to access everything. If were to extend the bedroom slide all the way out it cuts into the space that would be used for my cars.

2. If I were boondocking in public i.e. Wal Mart, If I extend my bedroom slide out about 1 foot, I don't have to flip the bed over and can sleep on full King size mattress

I would never have need to go halfway on the main living area slide. I think I would only need to extend the bedroom slide out halfway a few times a year, but geeeeeese; if it it going to be that much trouble

If reset really works, it is easy enough for me to just reset it every time I use PERIOD. I pull the exhaust plugs and shut battery switch to off everytime I use my boat. That way I know I never have any issues.
Just my perspective, but this is my third RV with a slide and I have never had a serious problem. However, all three have been small slides. Most problems discussed in this forum are with the bigger slides.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #52

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
I was told by the Thor service department to ALWAYS extend and retract slides FULLY.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #53

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindcoyote View Post
I was told by the Thor service department to ALWAYS extend and retract slides FULLY.
I wish all RV dealers would tell people that. I have purchased three RVs with slides and no one ever told me that until I read it in this forum and called the slide company.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #54

THOR #13058
Quote:
I wish all RV dealers would tell people that. I have purchased three RVs with slides and no one ever told me that until I read it in this forum and called the slide company.
I am not a conspiracy theorist; but I imagine has hard as some RV Dealership will press to sell ESP they will equally be NOT incentivized (my word) to educate a customer on what may very well be a future repair job, with or without warranty.

For as often as I would use, if it was easy enough; I would disconnect the motor for routine use and manually pull in and out. ( I assume the small bedroom slides that is) I see no reason to want to go half way or less with the main or large wall slides.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #55

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Not that you care but here is the theory of why the slides are to be extended all the way. In the each slide motor is a toothed wheel. When a tooth passes a sensor it generates difference in voltage in a wire coil. This is known as the Hall effect. The thing we call the slide controller is really a sophisticated computer with fuzzy logic feed back. The slide controller contains several triac switches which can control the voltage to the motors. By managing the voltage to each motor the controller can keep the motors moving as the same speed by noting the Hall effect feedback. When the motors stall for two to three second the computer resets the voltage delivered to the motors at maximum when the switch is depressed again. When you release the switch while the slide is moving the motors may stop a different points (cocked slide). Also when you depress the switch again the voltage remain the same as when the slide stopped. After a couple revolutions the motors are again synchronized even though the slide is cocked So, if you stop a slide for any reason. It should be returned to the closest place the motors can be stalled (in or out).

This is also why the slide should be operated with max voltage, hopefully 13.1 volts or more. The slide will operate with as little as 6 to 8 volts but that gives the computer little space to vary the voltage before the slide stalls.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:32 AM   #56

THOR #1765
Thanks. Good to know. I just kept going in the direction that I was before the slide stopped. Unfortunately in my Axis I cannot operate the slide with the engine on so unless I am on shore power or generator I do not have 13.1v to work with while extending or closing the slide. But if I am boondocking, I always start the engine and run it for a while before turning it off and retracting the slide. Now I understand the added importance of that.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 AM   #57

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Very informative topic. We bought a used 2018 ACE 27.2 from a dealer that had it in its rental fleet. The coach had 24000 miles on it which I thought even as a rental was a lot of miles for a "1 year" old coach. Knowing what I found out about the mfgr date the coach actually had 2 seasons of rentals on it, thus the 24000 miles made sense. What I find fascinating is how MH mfgrs can build a coach in April of 2017 on a 2017 Ford chassis and deliver to the dealer in May of 2017 and call the unit a 2018. I know that the auto mfrgrs (I worked for Chrysler) change model years in August but May? Seems a bit early in my eyes.
Anyway long story short we got a very good deal, our unit was well maintained by the dealer, and they gave us a thorough explanation of slides etc. as our previous units never had any. They did suggest the extended warranty and as we have owned several rigs over the years we took it. A plus to extended warranty, you can opt out if you so choose and if you trade or sell your unit the coverage goes with it. So far, knock would, we love the floorplan & the coach, though the drivability (another story) needed work. The king bed is not accessible without the slide out but when we overnight in Wallyworld or rest area the jack knife sofa and the dinette suffice. As parking lot "boondocking" while traveling is at most a night here or there sleeping in the "kid" beds for a couple nights is not an issue. Good luck with the hunt!
Mark