Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
Hot water heater redlight on

Attwood 6 gallon 93755 on 2015 Thor citation. Red light came on saying pilot was out. I only have used electric so that is possible. I have 1/2 tank of propane. Have read Attwood manuel says I have a White Rogers Contro; to relight or a Robertshaw Uniitrol. Question is where is it. I open the rear access panel and do not see it.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Before you go through a lot of effort, make sure the propane tank valve is open, then try turning off the LP switch, leave it off a minute or two, then turn it back on. You might have to do that a few times before it lights. That has always worked for me; hopefully it will for you too.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also know that there isn’t a pilot light to find. It has a spark ignition. When you turn on the gas switch you should be able to hear the igniter spark repeatedly. It is only when the burner fails to light that the red light at the switch will come on to tell you that the burner failed to light. If you’ve not used it on gas for a while you likely have air in the gas line. As indicated try just running the start cycle a few times. It likely will fire after a while. It might go out again if there is still air in the lines. If so just keep trying. If you can’t get it to work and especially if you don’t heat it spark come back and let us know so we can help with additional troubleshooting.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Agree as above. Try cycling the propane cycle a few times. However know that it could also be a defective circuit board. When my Dometic circuit board failed I got the light even though I was not using the propane side. I have to replace my circuit board. I got a Dino replacement, Repair was straight forward.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:30 PM   #5

THOR #5767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Also know that there isn’t a pilot light to find. It has a spark ignition. When you turn on the gas switch you should be able to hear the igniter spark repeatedly. It is only when the burner fails to light that the red light at the switch will come on to tell you that the burner failed to light. If you’ve not used it on gas for a while you likely have air in the gas line. As indicated try just running the start cycle a few times. It likely will fire after a while. It might go out again if there is still air in the lines. If so just keep trying. If you can’t get it to work and especially if you don’t heat it spark come back and let us know so we can help with additional troubleshooting.
I think you are on the right tract. I hear the seloniod click but no 12 volts comes out to spark the ignitor. I think it is a bad board. Hate to pay 125.00 and find out it still does not work. What do you think
Old 08-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #6

THOR #5767
Where did you get the Dino board?
Old 08-08-2021, 11:32 PM   #7

THOR #5767
Where did you get the Dino Board?
Old 08-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #8
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
You may have a spider that made a nest in the orifice. I had one years ago and was open just enough to make the water heater send out a ton of black carbon smoke. Cleaned it out and it was good to go. The web can completely close it off enough to not to allow it to light. Spiders love the smell of LPG.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When the control board on my unit (same as yours) failed I bought my dinosaur board on Amazon. I decided to skip the warranty because it would just get me a new cheap Chinese replacement. The new board (which looks TOTALLY different but is a simple DIY plug and play replacement) cost about $100 and works great.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #10

THOR #5767
Thanks I believe that is the right tract. No power (12 Volts) comes out of the selonoid to spark the ignitor.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1257 View Post
Thanks I believe that is the right tract. No power (12 Volts) comes out of the selonoid to spark the ignitor.
It wouldn't be 12 volts, it would be thousands of volts to create the spark; just like in your car's spark plugs.

Dinosaur board:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0130Y8I1K/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #12
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
You should have the schematic for your water heater. This will give you the pin out of the connector. One will be power for Gas and the other will be Electric. I had this same problem on my Palazzo except nether gas or electric would work. I did not have time to trouble shoot this so I used a jumper with an inline fuse to apply power to the pin. The power for the water heater actually comes from a relay on my rig and powers both the gas and electric for the water heater along with the tank level monitor. I chose the gas and applied 12V to that pin and had hot water for the entire week. I had the call Thor to find where the relay was located. It is a low cost automotive relay. Mine was located behind the breaker and fuse panels. My panels are in a compartment at the foot of the bed.

If the electric works and you find 12V on the gas control pin of the connector, then it maybe the control board or the gas valve itself.