Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2020, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #18385
House batteries

I have a 2015 Vegas 24.1. The 12 volt house batteries test "weak" so I am in process of replacing them. I've read a lot about converting to 6 volt batteries but modification of the battery hold area is required because the 6 volts are a bit taller than the 12 volt batteries. My question is, is it worth the effort to convert to 6 volt batteries? Thanks in advance for your opinions. Steve

Old 04-15-2020, 01:14 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
All depends on how much you rely on the house batteries vs shore power, have a generator, etc.

If you don't boondock or dry camp much, then a couple good 12V deep cycle batteries are fine.

If you rely on the batteries more, 6V golf cart batteries will give you more amp hour capacity and extend battery life between charges.

If you shop around, you may find 6V batteries that have dimensions that may make it easier to squeeze into your compartment.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
6 Volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswoodfin@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2015 Vegas 24.1. The 12 volt house batteries test "weak" so I am in process of replacing them. I've read a lot about converting to 6 volt batteries but modification of the battery hold area is required because the 6 volts are a bit taller than the 12 volt batteries. My question is, is it worth the effort to convert to 6 volt batteries? Thanks in advance for your opinions. Steve
Personally, yes, I think it is worth it because they will last longer if you take care of them.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #7230
What are your plans to modify your battery storage area?
I have a class C where the batteries are located under the stairs and I have thought of cutting it out welding in a larger cage to hold larger batteries.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #5

THOR #18385
Thank you for replying. Steve
Old 04-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #6

THOR #18385
I saw a video on youtube where they moved the hinged step up slightly to gain enough clearance for the taller 6 volt batteries. Sorry but I can't find the video now.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #7

THOR #18385
Good points to consider. Thanks
Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Batts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswoodfin@gmail.com View Post
I saw a video on youtube where they moved the hinged step up slightly to gain enough clearance for the taller 6 volt batteries. Sorry but I can't find the video now.
Or you could do what we actually did with our 24.1. We had six volt AGMs installed and put them on their sides with a metal cover fabricated to protect the tops of the batteries from any road debris. Worked well for us.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Depending on your model of MH, you may have to lower the battery tray, not "raise the step". On my Thor Citation Sprinter. The 2 12v house batteries were under the top step. (It had a latch and hinged up for access).
Raising the top step would create a trip hazard.