Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2021, 01:45 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 3,275
THOR #3156
Decals gone from mine and I like itClick image for larger version

Name:	20210728_184514.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	32305

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:50 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
Posts: 798
THOR #20274
Nice job
__________________
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,983
THOR #13058
So how long are people finding their decals last before they fade and crack?

I know it is function of Sun and what type of protectant but I would like to know how long have you gone before you said you had it?

How long does a Mfg think the customer should get if properly maintained?

Decals on my 2017 boat is 4 years old and one side is always in the sun but you can't tell the difference. (Boat has Cover but it does not cover the decals)

Decals on 2019 RV is 2 years old and look better than when new. (no cover and will never buy one)

If I get 7 years I am good.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet WiFi6 w/Nighthawk Extender; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 1,926
THOR #16721
This is the second full summer for our 2020 Chateau. One paste wax last summer (brutal). After watching an outstanding YouTube comparison of ceramic coatings by Project Farm, I settled on this:
Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating
First scrubbed the roof using Dawn, used Totally Awesome on the tough spots (eliminate black streaks). DO NOT get that on clear coat... I know from experience! Be sure you rinse WELL.
Good thorough wash job on entire MH... then applied the Hybrid Solutions spray-on. Buff it with a microfiber towel, and it's slicker than any paste wax I've ever used! Supposed to be good for a year... especially like the claim of UV protection (vinyl decals). The shower skylight cover had yellowed considerably, but the Totally Awesome made it like new! I coated that with the ceramic coating also.

So the plan is to use this stuff every spring right out of "storage". Time will tell...
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:22 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,983
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
This is the second full summer for our 2020 Chateau. One paste wax last summer (brutal). After watching an outstanding YouTube comparison of ceramic coatings by Project Farm, I settled on this:
Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating
First scrubbed the roof using Dawn, used Totally Awesome on the tough spots (eliminate black streaks). DO NOT get that on clear coat... I know from experience! Be sure you rinse WELL.
Good thorough wash job on entire MH... then applied the Hybrid Solutions spray-on. Buff it with a microfiber towel, and it's slicker than any paste wax I've ever used! Supposed to be good for a year... especially like the claim of UV protection (vinyl decals). The shower skylight cover had yellowed considerably, but the Totally Awesome made it like new! I coated that with the ceramic coating also.

So the plan is to use this stuff every spring right out of "storage". Time will tell...
The Turtle Was Hybrid Ceramic Spray has my attention if it can be used on the vinyl decals? I use the 303 on the Vinyl and it does a good job, but I have to do several times to keep it vibrant looking. But the real advantage would be if I could use a spray that actually protects the decals last at least twice as long as the 303 and allow me to no longer worry about getting my Mequiar's RV/Marine #56 wax any where close to the stickers. My experience is to NOT wax the decals, so this ceramic stuff could be as breakthrough.

I currently use Turtle Wax and Mequiar Spray cleaner wax to clean spots on the RV.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet WiFi6 w/Nighthawk Extender; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 1,926
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The Turtle Was Hybrid Ceramic Spray has my attention if it can be used on the vinyl decals? I use the 303 on the Vinyl and it does a good job, but I have to do several times to keep it vibrant looking. But the real advantage would be if I could use a spray that actually protects the decals last at least twice as long as the 303 and allow me to no longer worry about getting my Mequiar's RV/Marine #56 wax any where close to the stickers. My experience is to NOT wax the decals, so this ceramic stuff could be as breakthrough.

I currently use Turtle Wax and Mequiar Spray cleaner wax to clean spots on the RV.
I use the 303 Protectant also... On about everything. Problem is - like you said - it doesn't last. I use it on anything rubber... especially the window seals. After a few good rains, it's nearly gone.

Do yourself a favor and watch the Project Farm YouTube video. You'll be hooked... this guy is awesome with his test setups! Also, I bought 2 of the ceramic ($15 each) at Walmart... Did the entire MH yesterday, the Wrangler today... and have only used 3/4 of one bottle!! And yes... it coats the vinyl decals great! Smooth as glass. I've got high hopes for this stuff...
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:13 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,983
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I use the 303 Protectant also... On about everything. Problem is - like you said - it doesn't last. I use it on anything rubber... especially the window seals. After a few good rains, it's nearly gone.

Do yourself a favor and watch the Project Farm YouTube video. You'll be hooked... this guy is awesome with his test setups! Also, I bought 2 of the ceramic ($15 each) at Walmart... Did the entire MH yesterday, the Wrangler today... and have only used 3/4 of one bottle!! And yes... it coats the vinyl decals great! Smooth as glass. I've got high hopes for this stuff...
So how long you been working for Turtle Wax in Ceramics Solution division

I watched the video and I get the buzz. No doubt it sold me over the other products. But I am fuddy duddy; so I take things slowly.

Few observation points

1. How does it handle UV, direct sunlight, I would love to see a test with leaves sitting on it, or bird droppings.
2. How does it shine, I wax all the time and look for the deep shine.
3. How would it work spot treating, I use Turtle wax cleaner today for touchups, and it blends well with my Meguiars Pure RV/Marine wax
4. I didn't see where it stated it was good for decals? I am sure it is better than nothing on decals, but as frequently as you have to add the 303, the 303 does work. A lot of people will wax their decals thinking they are doing good, but the wax can help accelerate the deterioration of a decal. If the bottle clearly stated decals I would feel better, but I would have to buy a bottle and test on sample decal, I could expose it in the sun to see what happens. My biggest beef with the 303 is going over the edge of the decal and trying to keep from waxing over the edge in reverse. If this stuff could be sprayed on decals it would get my interest because over spray would not be a factor. My fear is that it may not have the emulsifiers like 303 to keep the decal vibrant just a coating on top that eventually dries out
5. It would be interesting to what it does on a fiberglass roof. If I were to ever try it on my RV, that is likely where I would try first.

I will add this product to my Camp at Walmart list. The types of things that I may buy while camped overnight at a wal mart just because I like going to sleep with a current wal mart receipt in hand. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet WiFi6 w/Nighthawk Extender; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:26 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
Posts: 105
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So how long are people finding their decals last before they fade and crack?

I know it is function of Sun and what type of protectant but I would like to know how long have you gone before you said you had it?

How long does a Mfg think the customer should get if properly maintained?

Decals on my 2017 boat is 4 years old and one side is always in the sun but you can't tell the difference. (Boat has Cover but it does not cover the decals)

Decals on 2019 RV is 2 years old and look better than when new. (no cover and will never buy one)

If I get 7 years I am good.
Honestly my 2018 MH has a couple bubbles in it! Disappointing…..
__________________
Msdpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:16 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,983
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Honestly my 2018 MH has a couple bubbles in it! Disappointing…..
I assume you mean bubbles in the decals? If so; go to a local decal shop, boat service center, or place that apply wraps etc. and they can get that air out and reseal so it looks new. May be some you tube videos so you can do yourself. If you do find a go 3M adhesive made specifically for decals.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet WiFi6 w/Nighthawk Extender; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
Posts: 105
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I assume you mean bubbles in the decals? If so; go to a local decal shop, boat service center, or place that apply wraps etc. and they can get that air out and reseal so it looks new. May be some you tube videos so you can do yourself. If you do find a go 3M adhesive made specifically for decals.
Unfortunately I don’t think that will be possible, because the bubbles are on indented body lines.
__________________
Msdpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,983
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Unfortunately I don’t think that will be possible, because the bubbles are on indented body lines.
Would love to see a picture. Decal over an indent may not be a bubble? Also it sounds like strange location for a decals design, was it an OEM decal? It is amazing how many times you see the decals stop and restart just to avoid the indented locations. Nevertheless, it is easy fixed for the qualified. Go to a local decal shop, I am sure they see this stuff everyday. i.e. they may actually cut a gap into the decal where the indent meets and reseal. I am suggesting this trying to help, but noted I am in the blind with no visual making assumption that it bothers you to point of wanting it fixed?
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet WiFi6 w/Nighthawk Extender; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 2,058
THOR #13362
Good article on Removing Decals

https://www.doityourselfrv.com - Remove Decals

Also an imbedded video:

__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
decoration, exterior, ornamentation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2