Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Oregon
THOR #24177
How can I repair or restore sun-damaged exterior decals?

The swoops of vinyl-or-something decorative decals on my ACE's exterior are mostly in good shape except for the ones exposed to direct sunlight for the longest time. They've cracked and darkened, and I wonder if there's a trick or product that would restore some of their original quality. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2021, 11:05 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket448 View Post
The swoops of vinyl-or-something decorative decals on my ACE's exterior are mostly in good shape except for the ones exposed to direct sunlight for the longest time. They've cracked and darkened, and I wonder if there's a trick or product that would restore some of their original quality. Thanks in advance!

Miracles are hard to come by. I have a friend who had the same problem on his Coachman. He removed the decals masked off the original patterns- which were ghosted on the walls - and spray painted them with rattle can paint. It actually looked really good. Not perfect, but way better than what he replaced.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I agree with Pete'sMH a year or two ago back in 1969 I painted a rear stripe on my 69 Charger R/T with Rustoleum black. It was still in good condition when I sold it in 1985. Many places that do vinyl graphics or vinyl wraps might be able to make them for you
Old 07-22-2021, 12:36 AM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I do not think there is a way of bringing them back. They all fade and crack over time. As stated, removing them and painting them is the best way to go.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:47 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What he said...
Once vinyl deteriorates: stick a fork in it. It's done!
Old 07-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There are some Youtube videos showing how to tape off and paint over the original vinyl graphics. I don't know how long that lasts but the graphics on the rear of my ACE are sorely in need of some attention and I may try that method.

I think Nomadic Fanatic did this on some of his graphics.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #7

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Graphics RV

https://www.rvdecalsdirect.com/
Old 07-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #8

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Great and reasonable price
Old 07-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
There are some Youtube videos showing how to tape off and paint over the original vinyl graphics. I don't know how long that lasts but the graphics on the rear of my ACE are sorely in need of some attention and I may try that method.

I used to watch Eric all the time. He will try anything and post videos of the project to boot. Great channel for newbies, he's tried about everything.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:50 AM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Painting over deteriorated decals is a waste of time. The vinyl has become brittle, edges curling, and fading. Paint on it won't last as the rest of the peeling decal flakes off. Removal and reinstall new, or painting on cleaned prepped fiberglass is the best idea. Another vote for full body paint if it's offered when new.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #11

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Painting over deteriorated decals is a waste of time. The vinyl has become brittle, edges curling, and fading. Paint on it won't last as the rest of the peeling decal flakes off. Removal and reinstall new, or painting on cleaned prepped fiberglass is the best idea. Another vote for full body paint if it's offered when new.
I agree I wouldn't paint over a decal, remove the decal replace it or mask off and paint the area
Old 07-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m another vote for full body paint. Decals simply don’t last in the real world. I understand their use on entry level models and didn’t hesitate to buy same when we were first starting the lifestyle. Weren’t yet sure how committed we would be and decided to buy a $55,000 machine instead of a $100,000 one. But when we bought our current coach full body paint was near the top of our “must have” list. I like the advice to “buy your last RV first” but I simply don’t think it’s practical for most folks. Architecture, floor plans, features and even size are just too hard to guess without practice.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m another vote for full body paint. Decals simply don’t last in the real world. I understand their use on entry level models and didn’t hesitate to buy same when we were first starting the lifestyle. Weren’t yet sure how committed we would be and decided to buy a $55,000 machine instead of a $100,000 one. But when we bought our current coach full body paint was near the top of our “must have” list. I like the advice to “buy your last RV first” but I simply don’t think it’s practical for most folks. Architecture, floor plans, features and even size are just too hard to guess without practice.
I'm on my "next" last RV with this one.

FBP is mandatory for me.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I've got nothing but paint on my rig, and it still looks great after 2 years in the Sun...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Best practice is to keep up on UV protection. I use this stuff once in the spring... just wash when needed throughout the season.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53...a-840505364135

Here's some testing info:
https://youtu.be/uYxKQwZah1s
Old 07-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #16

Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
Jerry removed his a while back... see his post I think it starts on page 248.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...-4609-248.html
He then post a picture of his decal-less RV... looks great. A lot of work, but looks great. go through a few pages from the link.

Also as back up I reached out to Total Value RV 866 282 4460. I gave them my VIN and I received a complete PDF file of any decal (file attached) I wanted to order or replace. They aren't cheap. So I am using 303 on them to hopefully slow the aging process.

I have this saved in my amazon favorites for when i need to do this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WG2XYE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #17

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post
Jerry removed his a while back... see his post I think it starts on page 248.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...-4609-248.html
He then post a picture of his decal-less RV... looks great. A lot of work, but looks great. go through a few pages from the link.

Also as back up I reached out to Total Value RV 866 282 4460. I gave them my VIN and I received a complete PDF file of any decal (file attached) I wanted to order or replace. They aren't cheap. So I am using 303 on them to hopefully slow the aging process.

I have this saved in my amazon favorites for when i need to do this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WG2XYE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I was looking at golf carts the other day and while talking to them I noticed a shop on the other side that makes vinyl graphics. He said they can make anything for a motorhome. It's called Screw City Graphics in Loves park Illinois (779) 423-1726
Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #17950
I was going to replace a few in the same condition. Contacted Thor and they are $200 to $350 a piece. Changed my mind. I will try the paint method.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #19

THOR #18343
Quote:
Contact the current manufacturer, they may not have the exact same style color but they should have a replacement!
They are going to charge you, but you can talk them into also sending a sheet of the warning decals, and decals that describe certain utilities.

When I did my 04 Salem trailer I used a paint heat gun, and a hair dryer. I did one side at a time until everything was removed. You’ll have to pay close attention to not get the paint to hot!! Thats important!!
Once you’ve removed all the decals you want removed, give it a good wash with non wax soap! Make sure to wipe off any soap residue…

Carefully apply the new decals, If your not sure of your self a sign shop should be able to help you out!!

GOOD LUCK’
Old 07-29-2021, 01:14 AM   #20

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Decals Faded Out

I had same situation. No way to restore just have to replace faded and cracked decals.
I went to fast signs store, they made new decals just like original and installed them on my first MH 4 years ago.
The work is in removing the old decals. Use a heat gun carefully with a special scraper so you don't score the FRP. Once mostly removed go over with goof off remover.
Take your time it will be worth it once completed.

Tags
decoration, exterior, ornamentation