Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
How do you deal with fogged up windshield in the early morning???

On our recent trip, we had several mornings where the inside of the windshield on our 2018 Axis 25.3 was fogged up first thing in the morning. The defrost takes forever to clear it and really does not do a good job at all on the side windows.

Of course the moisture is likely coming from the condensation that builds up in the unit overnight. I'd really prefer not to have to run a dehumidifier if we can find some other solution.

My DH will start WW III if anyone so much as comes near the windshield with a cloth or paper towel to just wipe it. one of his quirks that I mostly know to just live with.

Somewhere years ago I thought I read about a product/substance that will keep mirrors (for my indoor horse riding arena) from fogging in cold weather. Can't remember now what it was. Something simple I think - ammonia, vinegar, some spray in the automotive department....

Suggestions, solutions appreciated.

For the time being, DH defaulted to leaving shades closed, running the engine while we ate breakfast and packed up. That did give it time to clear off, but seems rather wasteful of fuel to me (and beside, I doubt our neighbors enjoy the exhaust).

Old 11-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
That’s why many coaches and busses have small electric fans at the upper corners of the windshield. They look like they’d be there for comfort reasons but their actual purpose is to keep the windshield clear. I’d suggest installing them. They do the job.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TB...b_b_asin_title

Same issue. Foggy at start up in the morning. Easily fogged when slight rain or cooler outside temps. The huge front windshield does take some time to de-fog but generally stays de-fogged after the Ford defrost catches up. The side windows are our biggest issue. Constantly fogging up as we breathe and provide warmth to the cooler window. Defrost has really no effect on these windows as everything is piped for the massive front windshield.

We did a small fan in the lower corner which almost fully fixed the fogged up side windows. Seems like Thor could have ran a single smaller duct on each side to address this issue.

Rechargeable mini fan does just fine. No cords, no batteries, easy to move, decent performance on a charge.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TB...b_b_asin_title

Same issue. Foggy at start up in the morning. Easily fogged when slight rain or cooler outside temps. The huge front windshield does take some time to de-fog but generally stays de-fogged after the Ford defrost catches up. The side windows are our biggest issue. Constantly fogging up as we breathe and provide warmth to the cooler window. Defrost has really no effect on these windows as everything is piped for the massive front windshield.

We did a small fan in the lower corner which almost fully fixed the fogged up side windows. Seems like Thor could have ran a single smaller duct on each side to address this issue.

Rechargeable mini fan does just fine. No cords, no batteries, easy to move, decent performance on a charge.
Since I have two separate thermostats, I simply put the rear on on heat from the heat pump and the front one on A/C and warn dry air comes out of the vents. That will defog the entire coach in about 15 minutes.

In the previous coach with only one A/C, we ran two small electric heaters with the A/C to dry-out the coach in the morning. When driving a warm rain, we often ran the propane wall furnace along with the generator and A/C, as the coach had no dash A/C.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #5

Model: SYNERGY
State: California
THOR #15407
Have you tried Rain X ??
I use it on the inside and outside.
It might not cure the problem but would help.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
crack a window overnight..... the air exchange will keep humidity levels down inside

be careful with rainx. Inside it might make it worse!

When I was a teenager still living at my parent's house back in the 1980's I was a rain x fan. I bought some rainx stuff sold to treat fogging on the inside. Seemed to be basically the same thing. I applied a test spot to my bathroom mirror. That was the first spot on the mirror to fog up!

Wasn't too many years ago I showered in there and noticed that it was still there!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Alcohol and water mixture works for me. 85 % alcohol
Old 11-10-2020, 11:23 PM   #8

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
That’s why many coaches and busses have small electric fans at the upper corners of the windshield. They look like they’d be there for comfort reasons but their actual purpose is to keep the windshield clear. I’d suggest installing them. They do the job.

Agreed!
Old 11-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not stay up later, and sleep in? Have a hearty Brunch, and be wheels-up at the crack of Noon?
Old 11-10-2020, 11:48 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Can't say we experience this that often (off the top of my head I can't think of it happening recently).

I do use RainX window cleaner (they have a spray bottle like windex you use to clean the window and it leaves RainX behind) on both the inside and outside of the front window.

Depending on the weather I also leave a roof hatch cracked a little (in the morning opening a window and running the bathroom fan or an overhead vent may also help in removing the moisture--provided the inside of the coach has higher humidity than outside).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Rain-X is pretty effective at keeping the fog outside...
Old 11-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Rain-X makes a anti fog spray for the inside of the windshield. Different from the regular Rain-X.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #13

THOR #1249
We travel a good bit in winter and get the same morning windshield fogging you mention. What I do is use a hand towel to wipe windshield and side windows, then place one of our space heaters on the dash set on low heat to finish the job. By the time I finish other duties to get on the road, all is clear. I get a few looks from campground walkers, but it gives them a little added feature for their morning walk.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A little airflow makes everything better. Crack the windows open!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #15

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
A little trick:use shaving cream to clean it.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
A little trick:use shaving cream to clean it.
Before... or after it gets trotted past the razor?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #11915
I bought two small 4” fans with usb connectors for less than $10.00 each at Walmart. They are metal, very quiet and they plug into the usb outlets. They are easy to position for clearing side windows, windshield or in warm weather for moving air to cool you off.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Why not stay up later, and sleep in? Have a hearty Brunch, and be wheels-up at the crack of Noon?
I believe it’s called “livin the life”!
Old 11-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Amen...
Old 11-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Open a vent a little - a long story

As others have stated its a good idea to open a vent in cooler weather and the AC is not being used. Ive been doing that for now for about 35 years and have very little window fogging. I know it sounds counter intuitive in that you are trying to heat your RV and opening a vent increases your heat load some but the way it was explained to me by many articles in Trailer Life (remember in the OLD DAYS before the internet Trailer Life was our pathway to enlightenment) that moisture build up was also going on in inside the walls of your RV and can cause damage.

Its "simple " physics

1."humidity" always tries to balance and migrates from a high level (moist) to a lower level(drier)
2. Dew point . When the moisture in the air -a gas- reaches a surface that is at its dew point it changes in to water or if cold enough ice.
3. Temperature changes force migration as well. Walls are forced to "breathe" due to day/night expansion and contraction

Point to be made is if you have large amount of condensation on your windows, you are likely to have some inside your RV walls a well. Cracking one of your ceiling vents will help prevent this to a large degree. Our modern RVs with aluminum studs instead of wood, and foam insulation instead of fiberglass help prevent this damage but we still have wood materials on the outside (unless you have Azdel exterior walls) and inside.

I personally prefer to mitigate this as much as possible my turning the exhaust fan on the stove and shower and keeping a vent open at night as required.

Long story - but such is my understanding