Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Georgia
THOR #7779
Towing MKZ hybrid

Anybody towing hybrid with car dolly ?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia13 View Post
Anybody towing hybrid with car dolly ?
I am planning to outfit my 2015 MKZ Hybrid for flat towing later this year. I haven't tried putting it on the dolly yet because my dolly requires the front wheels to be locked and my steering wheel does not lock.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

THOR #7779
Mine is a 2014 and I plan on using a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes . I was thinking about electric brakes but I believe less parts with surge . No controller and additional wiring .
Old 07-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #4

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I borrowed a tow dolly to take our Equinox to a great nephew in Iowa a few weeks ago. That trip convinced me that surge brakes is the way to go.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Mine is a 2014 and I plan on using a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes . I was thinking about electric brakes but I believe less parts with surge . No controller and additional wiring .
I have a Master Tow 80THDSB that has towed my Ford Fusion for a couple of years before I bought the Lincoln. It is a great dolly and the surge breaks performed extremely well going through the mountains of VA, NC and TN.

If your steering wheel does not lock you will need to find a way to strap it (straps or club) so the wheels do not turn. The Master Tow has a rotating bed and requires the steering wheel to be locked for towing.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

THOR #7779
Thank you Mitch and dstankov . I will be getting the 80thdsb .
Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Thank you Mitch and dstankov . I will be getting the 80thdsb .
It sounds like you have not yet purchased. When you do if the dealer has multiple dollies on the lot they will more than likely have the different style straps. Make sure they give you the correct straps for your car. I had to take a trip back to the dealer because the straps they gave me initially were the non-adjustable straps which fit up to 16 inch wheels and tires. I needed the ring adjustable straps which fit up to 18 inch wheels and tires. Although the buckle adjustable straps would fit my Fusion they did not fit my Flex. The ring adjustable straps fit the wheels and tires for both cars.

For the MKZ, plan on using some type of ramp extension to get the front wheels up before rolling onto the dolly ramps. I use the leggo style leveling blocks which I have from my class c days. Using these will ensure you do not scrape the front body molding or air dam when driving onto the dolly. Lesson learned the hard way on the Fusion.

Also, if you purchase the spare tire and mount option, before loading the car the first time I recommend removing the tire from the mount before loading the car. Then after the car is loaded make sure the mount is far enough forward so the car does not hit the spare tire whenever it is loaded or as you are going through dips in the road. I had to move mine about two inches forward for clearance.

FWIW, I added a boat landing leg, from Bass Pro Shops, to my dolly to make it easier to maneuver around the yard when not in use. Here is a pic of the setup. I do need to pull it into the driveway for a good wash and wax.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tow dolly 2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	5986
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #8

THOR #7779
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
It sounds like you have not yet purchased. When you do if the dealer has multiple dollies on the lot they will more than likely have the different style straps. Make sure they give you the correct straps for your car. I had to take a trip back to the dealer because the straps they gave me initially were the non-adjustable straps which fit up to 16 inch wheels and tires. I needed the ring adjustable straps which fit up to 18 inch wheels and tires. Although the buckle adjustable straps would fit my Fusion they did not fit my Flex. The ring adjustable straps fit the wheels and tires for both cars.

For the MKZ, plan on using some type of ramp extension to get the front wheels up before rolling onto the dolly ramps. I use the leggo style leveling blocks which I have from my class c days. Using these will ensure you do not scrape the front body molding or air dam when driving onto the dolly. Lesson learned the hard way on the Fusion.

Also, if you purchase the spare tire and mount option, before loading the car the first time I recommend removing the tire from the mount before loading the car. Then after the car is loaded make sure the mount is far enough forward so the car does not hit the spare tire whenever it is loaded or as you are going through dips in the road. I had to move mine about two inches forward for clearance.

FWIW, I added a boat landing leg, from Bass Pro Shops, to my dolly to make it easier to maneuver around the yard when not in use. Here is a pic of the setup. I do need to pull it into the driveway for a good wash and wax.

Attachment 5986

Thank you for the info !