Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not sure what wording they use now but for my 2015 Challenger the warranty stated that the dealer had 2 attempts or 21 days to get a repair right. If they didn't get it right the owner was to write Thor at the address provided. This put Thor on notice and they had one more attempt at completing the repair. If Thor didn't get it right after that then they would talk about other remedies such as exchange, compensation for diminished use etc...

That was specifically spelled out in the warranty. Writing the letter is the official notice to Thor that things are not right. Calling them does not meet the notice criteria.

All new coach owners sign a warranty notification statement and if they do not follow the provisions of the warranty they don't have a leg to stand on. The written warranty can be an owner's best friend if, and only if, they take the time to read it rather than let it sit in the manual bag and then gripe about things.

Again, read the warranty.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555
. I've had all sorts of items from minor things to two walls replaced and Thor has always come through for me, give them a chance.
Every time one of these threads comes around, and they do far more often than they should, we hear about how great the people at Thor are to work with.

And each time I have to wonder why these great people always have time to fix the problems but never the time to have done the job right in the first place.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's because they're paid to put out the fires that are started on the assembly line...
Old 11-13-2019, 02:06 AM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
We've had our coach for nearly three months and can't get the dealer to activate the warranty with Thor, so I can't even communicate with the factory about scheduling a trip to fix it. It's getting ready to go sit on the dealers lot until the damn thing is completely fixed to my satisfaction, and from what I've seen from MHSRV that will never happen.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #25

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Every time one of these threads comes around, and they do far more often than they should, we hear about how great the people at Thor are to work with.

And each time I have to wonder why these great people always have time to fix the problems but never the time to have done the job right in the first place.
The people at the service center do care a great deal and the folks you get on the phone do as well. They are very helpful, unless they receive an attitude like yours. And yes, they get very frustrated by what they have to fix. They don't build them but they do bust their tails to try and make them right.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:30 AM   #26

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
We've had our coach for nearly three months and can't get the dealer to activate the warranty with Thor, so I can't even communicate with the factory about scheduling a trip to fix it. It's getting ready to go sit on the dealers lot until the damn thing is completely fixed to my satisfaction, and from what I've seen from MHSRV that will never happen.
This is odd, do you have a bill of sale, vehicle registration & plates? If so email or fax this to Thor to prove ownership. If MHSRV didn't report the sale (and no warranty activated) then how are they going to do repairs? Something doesn't seem right. Have you done a check on the VIN for previous owners or accidents?
Old 11-13-2019, 02:50 AM   #27

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
This is odd, do you have a bill of sale, vehicle registration & plates? If so email or fax this to Thor to prove ownership. If MHSRV didn't report the sale (and no warranty activated) then how are they going to do repairs? Something doesn't seem right. Have you done a check on the VIN for previous owners or accidents?

Have it all and it's on a new unit, so no other owners/accidents. They claim it's because a recall needed done prior to warranty activation, but said recall inspection was required before delivery and deemed good to go at that time. Getting the runaround for some reason, which sucks because I'm ready for an upgrade and hoped to work with them
Old 11-13-2019, 02:59 AM   #28

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Upgrade to what?
Have you made a payment yet?

I've known cases that went on this long because the financing the dealer arranged fell through...and the dealer is hoping and praying they don't have to take the vehicle back.

Or

It's easily presumed the dealer didn't pay their loan against the vehicle and can't proceed.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #29

THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Upgrade to what?
Have you made a payment yet?

I've known cases that went on this long because the financing the dealer arranged fell through...and the dealer is hoping and praying they don't have to take the vehicle back.

Or

It's easily presumed the dealer didn't pay their loan against the vehicle and can't proceed.

Have bill of sale, registration and plates...hence my statement "Have it all", but see you changed your post.

Financing is fine and a couple payments in, so yes, I imagine they're sitting on my down payment and proceeds of the loan for their benefit somehow. Manager might need a new Bentley, as they're a POS too!

A nice used Tiffin or Newmar class A I guess
Old 11-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #30

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Did you make the payments you've made, out to the dealer or to a third party lender?

Other than them paying flooring instead of paying off the vehicle because they need a cash injection, something is wrong.

I did have a boat dealer do to me what they are doing to you. They were hoping I'd raise hell and ask for my money back. They sold it to me at about $25,000 below cost by mistake. Screwed with reg, screwed with title screwed with licensing, took maybe five months.
And, just as Thor does for me now, Bennington warranted a used boat.

It's a long story and funny enough. One day at a campfire....
Old 11-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
LateSixtiesGuy, as frustrated as you are, you also need to know that the problems you posted are really not that bad. They can be fixed by a competent dealer and certainly should be under warranty. I notice that you are in Michigan so not all that far from the factory service center. I’d suggest you go there with an appointment and all of your purchase records and respectfully ask for help. If you can check your anger at the door, you’ll find them to be very interested in fixing the coach and perhaps learning about your dealers antics. With 7,500 miles on the clock your chances of getting a full refund are slim (at best) and the fight will be long and ugly. If what you really want is a good coach you can get there. If what you want is to punish the dealer for doing you wrong that’s a whole other thing. Good luck. I hope you are able to find satisfaction and happiness.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #32

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
The people at the service center do care a great deal and the folks you get on the phone do as well. They are very helpful, unless they receive an attitude like yours. And yes, they get very frustrated by what they have to fix. They don't build them but they do bust their tails to try and make them right.
Nothing wrong with my attitude and my question is valid. Why is the consumer complaint line staffed with professionals and the assembly line staffed with employees who can’t seem to align a basement door correctly?

Yes, it’s great to have someone in the service department who can send me the parts but why am I having to call them in the first place?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #33

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
To the OP......

I'm on my second new Thor motorhome and still relatively new to the lifestyle. I'd like to pass along some of the lessons I have learned and some of it mirrors the other posts.

First, I know what you are going through. I spent over $80K on our first and brand new motorhome and I expected the same quality as purchasing an automobile, boat or other big ticket item. I also got the rude awakening that the RV industry is a different beast altogether.

I was upset and unhappy that a brand new purchase would have so many issues uncovered during the PDI and after driving it off the lot. After reading hundreds of posts on this forum and others I quickly learned that cheap, unskilled labor, high employee turn-over rates and the desire of the manufacturers to produce units as quickly and cheaply as possible with minimal quality control was standard practice across most of the industry. I didn't like it but it allowed me to calm down once I knew I was not the only one in this boat.

The second thing I learned was not to rely on the dealer for the same type of service I would get from my car or boat dealer. They suffered from a similar issue.... cheap and unskilled labor with a high turnover rate and too many makes and models to support to be considered experts on my coach. Not saying there can't be a good dealer out there but they are harder to come by and many dealers can be backed up for weeks or months.

Fortunately, I am mechanically inclined and able and willing to troubleshoot, fix and upgrade most things. I'm getting older and it is harder to do but I can still do most things. Thanks to this forum I was able to learn how to address several things without reinventing the wheel. After a few months I had fixed or upgraded many things on our first coach... to the point it was better than new when I was done with it.

We purchased a second new and more expensive Thor coach about 6 weeks ago. While the workmanship and quality was better, we still encountered issues during the PDI and after we drove it off the lot. I went with a different dealer and they had sold me on their service and support but in the end they were like many other dealers for the most part. But this time I was not nearly as upset or flustered by the issues because I knew to expect some issues would occur.

Before we bought this latest coach I decided we would deal directly with Thor and their Factory Service Center if we needed things fixed. The dealer was 2 hours away and Thor was 6 hours away but from every review I read, Thor could fix just about anything and fix it right the first time 9 out of 10 times. I considered them experts because all they do is fix Thor products.... everyday. They have seen the weaknesses, failure points, etc. and they know how to make things better than new.

I stuck with Thor because the factory customer service and support was as good as it gets. They responded to our calls and e-mails. They were always willing to help. Several times they sent me parts so I could fix issues myself while it was under warranty. They even reimbursed me when I purchased a part myself.

Our 2020 Magnitude is currently in Wakarusa while they finish fixing the issues on my Warranty Punch List. I have been extremely impressed with their level of customer service, knowledge, experience and workmanship. While I wish that I didn't have to make a 12-hour round-trip for the customer service I typically expect, it is well worth it all the way around.

My advice to you is....

- Take a deep breath and calm down... everything can be addressed to your satisfaction
- Put together a detailed and accurate punch list of everything that needs addressed under warranty
- Contact Thor Customer Service and politely explain the situation, provide them with your punch list and ask for their assistance
- Tell them you would like to have your issues addressed by the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa, IN so the work gets done right the first time
- If there are minor issues you can fix and address yourself, do it! It will give you some real satisfaction and peace of mind that things are getting fixed and you are on your way to enjoying your coach.
- After you get everything addressed, use Thor Service in the future if things come up that you can't fix.

You're not alone but you need to take the emotion out of it like I did after my first learning experience. Once you do that, you can focus on getting things addressed and enjoying our coach.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #34

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The experience is very variable from one dealer to another. My experience with the dealer we bought the Gemini from was good. The service folks were quick to get things fixed under the warrantee, and I got to where I trusted them enough to have them do about $10,000.00 worth of adds for me. All went well. My advice would be to attempt to build whatever relationship you can with the dealer, if you want to get out of the RV you have, work with them at the PR level, see what you can work out for one you like better. As far as returning it for a refund, don't believe that will happen, but again working with them at the PR level is IMO your best bet.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: the Dealership is the entity that makes or breaks the experience...

Spending time on picking the right dealer; might just be the wisest course of action.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:41 AM   #36

Model: 24FE
State: Michigan
THOR #17140
Unhappy 2019 Thor

All, there is a message on my phone, the finance guy called from the dealership today. Mrs LSG and I were out house shopping, we need a place to live. But while I am waiting for friday to see what he had to say, what is a punch list ? and what is a PDI or predelivery inspection ? When do these occur, and how do I get a copy of whatever was found ? LSG
Old 11-15-2019, 03:12 AM   #37
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateSixtiesGuy View Post
All, there is a message on my phone, the finance guy called from the dealership today. Mrs LSG and I were out house shopping, we need a place to live. But while I am waiting for friday to see what he had to say, what is a punch list ? and what is a PDI or predelivery inspection ? When do these occur, and how do I get a copy of whatever was found ? LSG
The PDI is the Pre-Delivery Inspection. This is when you go through the RV with someone from the dealer. During the PDI the dealer should have all systems hooked up so you can verify they work and they should explain any systems for which you have questions. The punch list is a listing of the items you find wrong during the PDI. Many of us experienced folks will not sign the final paperwork until all punch list items are worked off. You as well as the dealer should record all items with issues so you should have the punch list immediately. You can do a google search on RV PDI checklist to get an idea of all the items you should check during the PDI.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #38

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
how to return for refund

Quote:

In addition to what EA37TS said....

You can download example PDI Check-Lists to help you get started..... but in this case the horse is already out of the barn.

I can understand your expectations of the mentality “just buy it and use it” like we do with cars or boats.... but that is not reality.

Fortunately my wife and I started to do research before we purchased and learned about the PDI and what issues to expect in general as well as issues specific to models we were looking at purchasing.

It was during that research process that I almost got cold feet and backed away from purchasing and RV after reading about all the issues people have and the effort sometimes it can take to get those issues resolved with the dealer.

We decided to take the plunge and a few of the things I read about happened during the PDI or after we drove it off the lot. I didn’t like it but at least I was prepared. I was even better prepared the second time around.

I have no regrets but it is still disappointing this industry does not value quality control and doing the job right the first time at the factory. And it is also disappointing most dealers just want to get them off the lot as quickly as possible.

I have told my wife several times I don’t know what people do who can do a lot of their own repair, maintenance and improvements. I’m fortunate I can and I like the satisfaction from it but as I get older I prefer enjoying it more than wrenching.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #39

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
The punch list is made by YOU. Things that are not acceptable by YOU. Be sure they fix them all before you give them a dime!

You will need a Punch List for that new home you are looking for also.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They call it a "punch-list"; because that's what you want to do to the salesgoober, after you figure out exactly what you were sold...