Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We live at 6500 ft and play a lot up to 11,000ft.
It's fairly new to us so I did alot of reading and asking.
The John deere dealer, his shop is at 7,000ft, said he has NEVER installed a high alitude kit.
The Polaris dealer, also at 7,000ft, said he'd do it if I insisted, but he's never installed one.
My ancient small block Chevy/holley didn't need it in its move from 431ft to 6,500ft, my ancient three 2 barrel car didn't need it in its move from DesMoine to 6,500ft, my propane grill nor the rv nor the three patio heaters needed it.
I asked on all of them. No one I know has installed it on any engine, gas or propane.
I did not give up on the need. I read, and reread and dug deep.
I still sorta am doing it.

If I want my 60 year old car to get .1mpg better I can rejet the carbs.
If I want my heater to get .01gallon per day better I can rejet the the gas orifice.

The
Not over 5,000ft story
is a legality of a liability issue about the fuel burning at 89% efficiency vs 91% efficiency.

Truly, undeniably, a gazillion miles of rv miles at altitude over the last almost 100 years disproves their engineer crap.
You don't really think Mrs Ima Dummadz, the worlds dumbest rv owner, rejetted or didn't run her heater? 100,000,000 road miles over 100 years of propane usage says it works just fine.

It is only a legality liability thing.
It does not harm your equipment except for some soot(if your propane is nasty)in the flue.

If you're dumb enough to use a charcoal bbq for heat in a one bedroom apartment, you'll somehow, over years and years of use, find a way for the Squirrel clogged vent propane heater to cause you discomfort.

Related but different.
The 300ft. Cat5 'limit' is 300ft because the building the original tests were done is was
300ft long
And they didn't test it further.
Punchline:engineers say stuff sometimes. Stupid stuff. Then stare blankly when confronted.

Rejet has to do with unburned fuel in the minutest amounts, nothing else.

Honest. look ut up, use your common sense when reading instead of relying on the authors to not have an agenda.
Medically, high altitude starts at 8,000ft.

Thr venturi door on a propane torch let's you adjust the air/fuel mixture.
No death, no hurt, just a different flame with a different heat.

A considerable portion of the world's population lives above 5,000ft.
I think they likely use propane(ask the company who says no. Prepare for the blank stare.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #22

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Are the newer years Onan gasolene generators fuel injection?
Say the one being built in 2020 to date.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Are the newer years Onan gasoline generators fuel injection?
Yes fuel injected is available.

https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-5500-efi

I have 2019 Carburetor version. Just depends on your model number.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We live at 6500 ft and play a lot up to 11,000ft.
It's fairly new to us so I did alot of reading and asking.
The John deere dealer, his shop is at 7,000ft, said he has NEVER installed a high alitude kit.
The Polaris dealer, also at 7,000ft, said he'd do it if I insisted, but he's never installed one.
My ancient small block Chevy/holley didn't need it in its move from 431ft to 6,500ft, my ancient three 2 barrel car didn't need it in its move from DesMoine to 6,500ft, my propane grill nor the rv nor the three patio heaters needed it.
I asked on all of them. No one I know has installed it on any engine, gas or propane.
I did not give up on the need. I read, and reread and dug deep.
I still sorta am doing it.

If I want my 60 year old car to get .1mpg better I can rejet the carbs.
If I want my heater to get .01gallon per day better I can rejet the the gas orifice.

The
Not over 5,000ft story
is a legality of a liability issue about the fuel burning at 89% efficiency vs 91% efficiency.

Truly, undeniably, a gazillion miles of rv miles at altitude over the last almost 100 years disproves their engineer crap.
You don't really think Mrs Ima Dummadz, the worlds dumbest rv owner, rejetted or didn't run her heater? 100,000,000 road miles over 100 years of propane usage says it works just fine.

It is only a legality liability thing.
It does not harm your equipment except for some soot(if your propane is nasty)in the flue.

If you're dumb enough to use a charcoal bbq for heat in a one bedroom apartment, you'll somehow, over years and years of use, find a way for the Squirrel clogged vent propane heater to cause you discomfort.

Related but different.
The 300ft. Cat5 'limit' is 300ft because the building the original tests were done is was
300ft long
And they didn't test it further.
Punchline:engineers say stuff sometimes. Stupid stuff. Then stare blankly when confronted.

Rejet has to do with unburned fuel in the minutest amounts, nothing else.

Honest. look ut up, use your common sense when reading instead of relying on the authors to not have an agenda.
Medically, high altitude starts at 8,000ft.

Thr venturi door on a propane torch let's you adjust the air/fuel mixture.
No death, no hurt, just a different flame with a different heat.

A considerable portion of the world's population lives above 5,000ft.
I think they likely use propane(ask the company who says no. Prepare for the blank stare.)
What did you learn, or think about the 2019 Onan 5500 that comes standard with Altitude adjustment (0 - 5000 ft)?

We live 488 ft above, so generally speaking it is non issue for us. But thus far, we have had limited trips at high altitude. My general thinking is that since I don't or have enough experience, I will error on the side of precaution very any potential of damage or Mfg saying warranty is no valid because you were in an area of high altitude and did not follow their guidelines.

I can now cite my experience of running water heater and Norcold fridge at about 7,000 ft without noticing any issues. I didn't really need to try the Suburban heater. It got down to a low of 52 inside the RV at about 3:00 AM in the morning and I was wrapped in blankets

I agree that buying any aftermarkets kits is not in my future. But I will continue to adjust my Onan to the specifications and in cases that exceed what the ratings are for any of the equipment, I will opt to avoid the risk and not use unless it is just an absolute necessity.

FWIW, we had trouble with our propane grill at high altitude, but I could not tell if it was propane related or wind related? 3 times it had gone out in the middle of cooking. We never had had that issue anywhere before.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Are the newer years Onan gasolene generators fuel injection?
Yes, from 2018 there is the QG 5500 EFI <https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-5500-efi> as well as Commercial QG7000 EFI 120/240. The new QG 4000i EFI is due out the middle 2022
Attached Images

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:08 PM   #26

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Wish they were all injection..thank you
Old 10-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Wish they were all injection..thank you
Then you would be "Happy"

I wish too, but the trade off is really easy, just run that the thing as much as possible when you have chance any positive potential gain. I just went over 170 hours ( 2 years) and well under my target but way over anything I need to keep my genset starting 2-3 secs 1st time every time.

i.e. I have set my AGS to kick on genset at 12.5vdc to start my genset more frequently and at the same time keep may fancy smanncy AGMs for discharging anywhere close to below 50%

When driving when we have AGS on and thermostat set at 81; so it when it is over 87 degrees or so, it is likely to fire up the genset to keep the coach cool. Could I get buy with out it? yes probably if outside temperatures is less than 90; but I rather it run when I am in the coach getting some gain than just running it for so call exercising it.

We also by default let the genset run 10 minutes every time we want popcorn. No need for us to basically redesign our system to run popcorn off a inverter. If it not that big of a gain for us. Plus, I like it when my wife and daughter engage to start the genset because they want to use the microwave It can be an adventure for them, but they learn a little about the coach.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Yes, from 2018 there is the QG 5500 EFI <https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-5500-efi> as well as Commercial QG7000 EFI 120/240. The new QG 4000i EFI is due out the middle 2022

What is the thing on top of it?

Any reason they are white versus the green? Maybe they tired of hearing the "Big Green Monster" nickname? Seems like it would show dirt very quickly?
Old 10-17-2021, 12:47 AM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What is the thing on top of it?

Any reason they are white versus the green? Maybe they tired of hearing the "Big Green Monster" nickname? Seems like it would show dirt very quickly?
White indicates it is the Commercial unit rather than those specifically for RV (green). Most commercial units are 240 volt or 120 Volt split phase rather than the RV generators with two separate in 120 volt windings. The thing on the top is a yellow rotating beacon showing the generator is operating normally. It is an option ($70).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #30

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
just go make us all envious and enjoy your ride.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #31

Model: 28Z
State: California
THOR #22842
Sounds Like a Nice Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I chose to not run my furnace in part because there may not be enough oxygen in the air to run continuously. I spoke with Suburban before my 1st trip to mountain this past March '21 and they spoke that the heater need an adjustment to function at high altitude. I believe they even spoke of a high altitude kit that I verified that I did not have. I have now made two trips to Colorado and thus far have not had to even try the heater to see what the furnace may do. I suspect it may not run consistently if it did in fact start.

By contrast my Onan 5500 has an Altitude adjustment. Although 5,000 feet is as high as it will go. It was kind of strange because while we had no electrical service, my genset may have only run 4 hours; and that was to recharge batteries. It ran a lot more on the trip to Colorado because in Texas it was 90+ degrees when we left so we had both ACs running on the drive.

I did run the water heater and the Norcold fridge virtually the entire time with no issues. The fridge is on an]the inverter whenever we are driving though. When we are in motion with the RV, all of my propane items are always off / shutdown 100%.
I spent a week in CO in May mostly in Longmont and Glenwood Springs and had no problem with genny (2 hours a day) and heater at night. Glad to hear you enjoyed Cherry Creek or what we used to call "The Rez" when I was a kid and lived about three miles from there. Tent camped there the night I graduated HS. Always a great hangout for delinquents like I was lol.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgeek View Post
I spent a week in CO in May mostly in Longmont and Glenwood Springs and had no problem with genny (2 hours a day) and heater at night. Glad to hear you enjoyed Cherry Creek or what we used to call "The Rez" when I was a kid and lived about three miles from there. Tent camped there the night I graduated HS. Always a great hangout for delinquents like I was lol.
We were in Chatfield SP back in March when the big snow storm came in. They allowed us to leave and gave us a full refund which was odd because their own policy no cancellations due to weather.

Again for clarity, I never said I had any issues with the equipment in the RV due to Altitude. I just explained "How I did it"

Generator - I have an Onan 5500 with altitude adjustment; set it at 5,000 ft; ran it had no issues

Fridge - It ran full time either on batteries 80% or propane 20% except for about 4 hours when on a high mountain in Golden; had no issues

Hot water heater - Propane ran full time except for while getting gas or the high mountain; never an issue didn't need to have hot water on the mountain

Furnace Heater - Never turned it on at any time during the entire trip. Suburban didn't recommend without the Kit, but short two nights, we never needed a heater. The two nights I may have used got down to 39 outside, but inside the RV it was 52. It was non issue as we simply closed our bedroom door as those temps on was the the peak of early morning like 3:00 AM We use to camp in tents too and we have been in tents below freezing oddly in Texas when caught by a sudden cold front ( no snow)
Trust me, if we were cold we would have turned the heat on despite what the Mfg said, but the point was; we did not need to, and I am never going to buy a altitude adjustment kit.

Colorado is great and beautiful and that is How we did it anyway