Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #4479
Exclamation Just some info for anyone who might recognize the same problem

This past weekend our CO detector went off in the middle of the night. I got up and went outside and shut off the propane, opened all the windows and reset the detector. When I thought it might be safe we went back to bed. Shortly it went off again. After researching the problem on the internet, it led me to the smell we had been getting for the last two days (sulphur). Apparently the batteries were overcharging, boiling and creating sulphur smell. I was able to get through to someone at Thor and they told me to simply use the battery storage switch to keep electricity from getting to the batteries until I could get home and get it checked out. One RV repair person told me I needed new batteries. That the sulphur smell meant they were warped inside and no good. (Even though gauge showed full power and everything was running properly).
If anyone else has had a similar experience, I would appreciate your input. I realize I probably will have to replace batteries, but not until I find out if whatever charges the batteries is at fault.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Battery status - TBD
Converter status - obviously bad.

Replace the converter and have the batteries load tested. If they didn't overheat and warp the plates or boil dry they should be OK until they are really bad. Their lives may have been shortened.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Battery status - TBD
Converter status - obviously bad.

Replace the converter and have the batteries load tested. If they didn't overheat and warp the plates or boil dry they should be OK until they are really bad. Their lives may have been shortened.
Yep what he said. The converter never dropped back to float so it boiled the water in the batteries. When batteries charge they produce hydrogen sulfide, the rotten egg smell is produced by the sulfur. The hydrogen produced by the charging batteries can be explosive (1st hand knowledge) Glad your detector did it's job
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #4479
Thanks

Thanks to those who took time to reply. When you go to the shop it is helpful to show knowledge. Less likely to be talked into buying something you don’t need.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Here is a quick check to see if your converter is switching to float after fully charging the batteries. Measure the battery voltage. It should be somewhere near 13.6 volts. Anything above 14.0 is a good indication it is stuck in absorption mode and as noted above and is boiling (well disassociating) water.

David
Old 08-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #6

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Here is a quick check to see if your converter is switching to float after fully charging the batteries. Measure the battery voltage. It should be somewhere near 13.6 volts. Anything above 14.0 is a good indication it is stuck in absorption mode and as noted above and is boiling (well disassociating) water.

David
If you don't have a volt meter they are cheap at Walmart.

Time for a question.

Have you ever checked the water level in the batteries? They will need a lot.

If you haven't then give them time to calm down before checking/filling with distilled water,
then take a look at your cables, they will need cleaning.

BUT THE MAIN THING is be careful, that sulfur smell is very explosive
Old 08-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
If you don't have a volt meter they are cheap at Walmart.

Time for a question.

Have you ever checked the water level in the batteries? They will need a lot.

If you haven't then give them time to calm down before checking/filling with distilled water,
then take a look at your cables, they will need cleaning.

BUT THE MAIN THING is be careful, that sulfur smell is very explosive
Not to mention the pure hydrogen that is created.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
On my previous motorhome with 3 gp29 house batteries, one had an internal failure and that strong sulphur smell. The inverter/charger was good, battery was bad, overheated badly but didn't warp or explode. Pulled it offline and all good till I replaced it later in the year after the long trip.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:05 AM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
If your rig is under warranty you should make them replace all the coach batteries. If you smelled sulfur there was some type of damage even if slight. If not still in warranty do what everyone else said, test them thoroughly and after addressing the reason behind the issue reuse them.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:15 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Wow yet another reason why I am glad I dumped my factory under warranty FLA batteries for AGM. I get it may actually be the Converter, but I don't need the hazardous possibility of trying to put water in some $100 battery that could potentially explode, the sulfating and corrosion on concrete was bad enough.

Very good post by the OP
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:26 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow yet another reason why I am glad I dumped my factory under warranty FLA batteries for AGM. I get it may actually be the Converter, but I don't need the hazardous possibility of trying to put water in some $100 battery that could potentially explode, the sulfating and corrosion on concrete was bad enough.

Very good post by the OP
What do you think will happen to overcharged AGM batteries? It's still a lead acid battery.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:42 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What do you think will happen to overcharged AGM batteries? It's still a lead acid battery.
I get if the Converter is bad, but my point is …. there is nothing for me to fool with with water etc. that may explode. What if I don't know they are being overcharged and I feel like it is pretty day to check water; and it explodes on me or something? My FLA were certainly sulfating before and I have same converter and the AGM still look brand new.

If you ask me, unless you are a mechanic or battery guru, do yourself a favor and buy out of the FLA batteries that require water, you don't have to get AGMs, but Maintenance Free ought to be a Industry Standard.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:04 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #19026
Find someone that knows how to test them with a hydrometer. I just now realized that was what was going on setting off my alarm. I had one battery that was cooking all the water out overnight and the other one was bad too. It was also causing the AGS to keep starting the generator.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #14

State: Wisconsin
THOR #9135
I have a 91 Pinnacle. Anyone know where the ac-dc converter is located?

Thanks.

Mark

Tags
batteries, charging, sulphur