Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #4227
Hydraulic leveling system recommendations

Hydraulic leveling system recommendations..My Wife and I have a 2010 Thor freedom elite 21C class C motorhome on a Ford chassis with the V 10 motor. Starting to really consider adding a hydraulic leveling system. I was wondering if anybody has added one to a unit that didn’t come equipped with A hydraulic leveling system from the factory. Looking for recommendations on brands,and to hear experiences.
Larry Harris
freebirdraces@gmail.com
(585)739-0354
Webster NY

Old 09-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
BigFoot systems seem to be popular...

But I really like how my Equalizer system works!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You have a choice of several models. The HWH System Camping World sells, The Big Foot System and The Equalizer System. I had The Equalizer System installed at a local family shop. All three system work well. The cost for my system ordered and installed was about $6100. I believe The Big Foot System is a bit cheaper especially if you are able to travel to their facility. I have heard they can install it in one day. Some have auto level feature/option. It depends on what you want on it. My system has a blue tooth feature plus auto level. I can operate it with my cell phone outside the coach. They are extremely useful and make it more comfortable when walking around inside or sleeping.

Paul
Old 09-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Hi Paul,
I'll bet that I've got the last Equalizer system that doesn't have the Bluetooth feature...
Controlling it with a SmartPhone does seem pretty cool, and a whole lot handier!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Equalizer and Bigfoot are both good systems for add on.

One thing to consider is the cost of the mod to a 11 year old low end class c. The single mod is going to run somewhere near or over 5K to have installed and do you think that is a worthwhile investment on a 11 year old coach? Also, that money invested will not contribute to the overall enjoyment of the living area of the coach.

My suggestion would bee to take the coach out on a trip or two before making an expensive decision like hydraulic levelers. The money needed for a leveling system would go a long way towards other mods based on the. living area.

Does this coach have scissor style stabilizer jacks? If so once the coach is level and the stabilizers lowered there is no difference than what is achieved with a hydraulic system. We did this with our class c for 5 years. Once we got the. class a with the hydraulic system we then had low voltage errors, excessive slope errors, and a couple other errors which would generally take longer to clear than it would to manually. level and stabilize the class c.

Regardless, enjoy the journey.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird773 View Post
Hydraulic leveling system recommendations..My Wife and I have a 2010 Thor freedom elite 21C class C motorhome on a Ford chassis with the V 10 motor. Starting to really consider adding a hydraulic leveling system. I was wondering if anybody has added one to a unit that didn’t come equipped with A hydraulic leveling system from the factory. Looking for recommendations on brands,and to hear experiences.

Larry Harris

freebirdraces@gmail.com

(585)739-0354

Webster NY

We had the Bigfoot platinum system installed on our 2016 Vegas 24.1 installed at the factory this past December....It took them 2 1/2 hours to install and cost around $2800 out the door....We love it....
Old 09-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
We also had the Bigfoot system installed on our 30FE. It cost less than $3,000 and only took a couple of hours to install at their factory in Michigan.
We love the system which makes set up so much easier.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Bob

The blue tooth feature is handy. I can work it from outside and watch them extend or retract. I can make adjustments as needed for the pad area. I had my system installed in Dec. 2018.

Paul
Old 09-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mine showed up at the Dealership with the non-BlueTooth version on 12/15/2019
You got the first one to have it, and I got the last one that didn't!
Old 09-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Our Accolade was built in July of 2019 and it has the Bluetooth Equalizer System and it does come in handy.

Bob, have you checked to see if you can swap out the control panels and then enable Bluetooth?
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's a great question: I'll ask the Dealer about it on October 17th...
Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's a great question: I'll ask the Dealer about it on October 17th...
Thanks!
Might get a faster response by calling the Equalizer folks (1-800-846-9659).
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-28-2020, 10:57 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Larry Harris
freebirdraces@gmail.com
(585)739-0354
Webster NY
BigFoot is the best value
Plan to spend under $3K (Installed at their MI plant) for their least expensive model (the most expensive model used to be under $3K installed but is probably more today).

HWH (the one I have) can run from $4500-6K installed. It’s the Cadillac of hydraulic levelers, but probably not worth it for your current rig.

I’m not familiar with Equalizer.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Might get a faster response by calling the Equalizer folks (1-800-846-9659).
. Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #15

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
I have Big Foot love it
Old 10-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #16

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony&Sheryl View Post
We had the Bigfoot platinum system installed on our 2016 Vegas 24.1 installed at the factory this past December....It took them 2 1/2 hours to install and cost around $2800 out the door....We love it....
Now this guy is talking real trash and its true. The BigFoot System is far form $5-$6,000. range.
We have the non-auto system. When looking at the it I saw a YouTube video.
When the guy said the system sometimes has to be recalibrated I said not while i am trying to set up.
So I have the less expensive Manual System. I pull in look at my levels that I placed next to the key pad. I can quickly determine which jack need to go down to level me up and then I drop another one, complete the leveling all within 10 seconds, walk away happy as a lark. I don't need or want an automatic system.
I am also sick of use a damn cell phone foe everything in life. Just drop in water and you are screwed. HaHa!
All kidding aside the BigFoot is a great system without spending a lot of $.
As the added value. Yes someone will be excided when buying your rig, but it will add half of what you are spending, but the joy of setting up is worth 10X the cost.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #17

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunnin View Post
Now this guy is talking real trash and its true. The BigFoot System is far form $5-$6,000. range.
We have the non-auto system. When looking at the it I saw a YouTube video.
When the guy said the system sometimes has to be recalibrated I said not while i am trying to set up.
So I have the less expensive Manual System. I pull in look at my levels that I placed next to the key pad. I can quickly determine which jack need to go down to level me up and then I drop another one, complete the leveling all within 10 seconds, walk away happy as a lark. I don't need or want an automatic system.
I am also sick of use a damn cell phone foe everything in life. Just drop in water and you are screwed. HaHa!
All kidding aside the BigFoot is a great system without spending a lot of $.
As the added value. Yes someone will be excided when buying your rig, but it will add half of what you are spending, but the joy of setting up is worth 10X the cost.
The bigfoot system mostly works but mine has a couple issues. The first, which I had them check and got a “ unable to reproduce” on is that it occasionally ( randomly) flips the breaker. It seems to happen when the front goes to full extension on auto level. It doesn’t do it when I manually fully extend the front to aid getting my motorcycle on and off rear rack.

The second is that the auto leveler pretty much sucks. It often lifts some wheels off the ground. Most of the time I can do much better manually. I have a big level with lights I put on the floor. It pretty much agrees with the lights on the level controller.

Their auto system often seems to activate the wrong jacks based on what needs to come up from the lights.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #18

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I bought the HWH fully automatic system from Amazon and it was $3,600.00 with free shipping, no way in hell are you going to have this system installed in 2 1/2 hours, that Big Foot system must be all bolt on and no drilling, I had to remove both storage cabinets behind the front wheels to be able to get in to drill the frame, lots of room on the back but that frame is heat treated and hard as hell, I spent a week on my install but not at 8 hours a day, took my time an its been trouble free for the last 3 years
Old 10-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #19

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
I bought the HWH fully automatic system from Amazon and it was $3,600.00 with free shipping, no way in hell are you going to have this system installed in 2 1/2 hours, that Big Foot system must be all bolt on and no drilling, I had to remove both storage cabinets behind the front wheels to be able to get in to drill the frame, lots of room on the back but that frame is heat treated and hard as hell, I spent a week on my install but not at 8 hours a day, took my time an its been trouble free for the last 3 years
Likewise the Bigfoot would be more hours to install. The legs bolt on but need holes and plate to bolt to. Pump, hydraulic lines, and controller location and wiring several hours more. Maybe bluetooth aftermarket avoids wiring controller...which ties to parking brake.

BTW there are electric jacks which might be easier install.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #20

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Larry Harris
freebirdraces@gmail.com
(585)739-0354
Webster NY
Take out a lot of stress and worry and upkeep in the future out of your life
and put a manual system of jacks on your C class. It's not that big, won't take that long and will work no matter what....get a good drill, keep it charged up to do the adjustment and it's the last you will have to spend a penny on your levelers. (maybe 80 bucks for a new drill about 8 years from now???)
Lots of good apps for your phone to check your level. Simple is cheaper and a lot less worry just to save 10 minutes after you pull in and the same to leave.