Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
When I bought my mh the last time i turned a wrench was in high school. I bought the 5 year warranty at of fear of the unknown. My 5th wheel didn't have all the motors, electrical stuff the mh has. Between the sales guy and my wife the fear got to me. Now I had to kick my wife out of the office because she was agreeing on $11k for the warrany. The other sales guys were laughing when I kicked her out and shut the door

Well the $11k went down to $4k and I got it.

Fast forward 3 years. Never needed it and I am not afraid to do all my repairs myself. If something major should break, ac, fridge, micro I would use it if I couldn't fix it myself for cheaper

I believe there are two type of rv. Ones that breakdown all the time where the warranty would benefit the owner and the rv that rearly have problems, lucky me this is my mh, and the warranty wouldn't be worth it.

Its a roll of the dice. If you sleep better knowing you have it get it. In the scope of things its not that much money. If you're handy with a wrench put the money in a seperate fund and use it when you need it

No right or wrong with what ever you decide

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Waaaay to much money. If you really want one go online. Half that price and no interest
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think that 'extended warranties' are ALMOST exactly what they say they are. Almost is the critical word, as you ALREADY have a full warranty - any 'extended' warranty would most certainly ONLY come into play AFTER your factory warranty, which sometimes has certain items and coverages that last for years. Your 'expensive' extra extended warranty, with all of it's exclusions and 'non covered' items and expenses only would help 'after' your original warranty, which is it's design.

I would go back to the dealer, accept the lower interest rate, decline the extended warranty, and walk if they balk. If they can get you a lower interest rate, it has nothing to do with your purchase on anything else... it's just a sales ploy : )
Old 05-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseam but my dealer is giving me a choice that's making it a little more difficult than I had planned. We are picking up the MH tomorrow (Wed, 5.29.19) and here are the vitals:

If I simply get the coach, no add-ons, the price OTD is $77622. At 4.89%, the payment is $609.40.

The five year ESP has been "lowered" to $4444, but they will also buy-down the interest rate on the loan to 4.39%, meaning financing $82066 at 4.39%, for a payment of $623.20, which is $13.80 per month more than I would be paying originally. Over the course of 15 years, if I actually took that long to pay it off (not planning on that), we are talking $2484 more in total payments.

It covers everything with only the very few exclusions that he listed off for me, and those were things that I would not expect to be covered anyway (tires, wheels, exhaust, paint, trim, and consumables, like brake pads and rotors, wiper blades, etc.) It extends the powertrain out from 3/36 to 5/60.

I hate throwing money out the window, but being that this is my first motor home and I don't have any DIY resources available to me, I am very tempted.

Help me through this, if you can, please.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tim
If the mh is new I probably would not pay for the extended coverage, and also depending on what engine gas or diesel because when the say exhaust is not covered on a diesel they also mean the entire after treatment system which is almost always the cause for driveablity issue's and the most expensive to fix.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #25

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Something else to consider: Depending on where in Michigan you are you could be really close to the factory service center in Wakarusa, IN. If you have any issues in the first year (or after but you'd have to pay) simply make an appt there and have them fix it--it will come back better than anyone else could fix it.
That's only about an hour and a half away. Did not even know about this place.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:25 AM   #26

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I'll have to throw my vote in with the "pass on it" crowd. In my experience, any major repairs on my RVs were either not covered or barely over the deductible. It was super frustrating when I tried to collect on the one I bought. Won't be buying that again, new or used.

TimmyB, do what you want, but think hard about what the voices of experience here are telling you. None of us have a stake in your decision. Good luck to you!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 AM   #27

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I'll have to throw my vote in with the "pass on it" crowd. In my experience, any major repairs on my RVs were either not covered or barely over the deductible. It was super frustrating when I tried to collect on the one I bought. Won't be buying that again, new or used.

TimmyB, do what you want, but think hard about what the voices of experience here are telling you. None of us have a stake in your decision. Good luck to you!
I feel like one of the judges on America's Got Talent. Trying to decide when everyone on both sides makes perfect sense! AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 AM   #28

Model: 25.2 Vegas
State: Vermont
THOR #12683
Go on line as suggest before, look at U tube too. Many people cancelling the RV ESP (Good Sam's) through camping world. We purchased our two yrs ago for just under $4,000. Should have known I could have gone to a forum like this to help me decide not to take the plan. We may cancel too. dlonerg
Old 05-29-2019, 02:39 AM   #29
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
$2500.00 will buy you Over 8300 miles in gas..... My 2017 has never been in the shop for any repair. I have done most myself. You will love your rig!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 AM   #30

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Some random thoughts. Be aware the RV market is Down. Reports are Thor stock is way down from last year. Out of the “non-high end” …Airstream may be the only one doing pretty well still because of the Nest success.
If you are buying new, and not getting more than 30% off MSRP walk. Don’t buy extended warranty, or cheap coating. Remember if you’re new to the fun, you can easily have to spent +/- $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 on stuff and suspension / spare wheel maybe.
The Texas RV dealers are all “feeling the pinch.” Suggest you don’t be rushed. If buying new … go out for 7-9 bids to your exact spec.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #31

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I always look at it from a financial perspective, not an emotional one, though 'emotions' come to the surface when a 'pressured' sale or decision is in place:

What can $2,500.00 do for me, whether right now, next year, or ever?....meaning, what is actually MORE important that I might need to spend $2,500.00 versus only the very slim 'possibility' of what an expensive 'Extended Only' plan 'might' do for me, with no other 'out of pocket' additional cost as part of the 'benefit', after paying all of this MONEY, even if it's financed over 15 years.

I used this same analogy for a financial conversation my son was having with me just today... he didn't understand why I was making such a 'big deal' about his potential purchase of a vehicle that gets an average of 20mpg, versus one that gets 40mpg, everything else being somewhat equal:

"well," I said, "think about it this way - you have a 20 mile commute everyday, 5 days a week, for a total of 40 miles per day. One car will take 2 gallons of gas, the other only 1. Maybe that doesn't seem like 'such a big deal', until you extrapolate that out over a week, then a month, then a year, and even then over the 'let's say' 5 years of ownership under the same circumstances: that's an extra gallon per day, which is about $2.50, then that's times 5 per week, for an 'extra' $12.50 per week in just gas cost.
If you multiply that times 4.34 average weeks per month, you get over $50 extra per month, or times 12 equals an 'extra' cost of $600 per year! Now THAT'S real numbers!"

Let's even look at it more critically, and in reality:
5 years would be an EXTRA $3,000.00!

"So, do you really still think it's not such a 'big' deal?"
" What would you like to do with $3,000.00 right NOW? Buy another car?! "

and, as I've told my wife under some of these same type of financial 'discussions' about buying warranty or extended service plans: If I go thru with this, I am GUARANTEED to have spent $2,500.00... but if I don't, then I am guaranteed NOT to have spend $2,500.00, at least until I need to, sometime in the far future, if EVER.

I'll just keep my money, thank you.

Did your son run the same scenario on you as to how much money you could have saved on fuel over the same period if you had bought a Sprinter RV with the MB diesel versus the Palazzo?? Sometimes... and more often than not...it's what you want that's important...not what makes sense to someone else.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #32

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Ford Powertrain warranty is already 5years/60,000 miles look it up.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #33

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Well...Timmy...the rope is hanging in the gallows...the F&I dude has the black shield over his head...the salesgoober is smiling as he motions your way up the steps. The "Thor Forum" crowd is yelling so many opinions back and forth, you can't hear any specific comments...just a roar as hands wail in the air. The wife has her veil, now pulled over her face, as tears run down her cheeks...she tells you one last time..."I'm with you...whatever you decide". WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #34

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Well...Timmy...the rope is hanging in the gallows...the F&I dude has the black shield over his head...the salesgoober is smiling as he motions your way up the steps. The "Thor Forum" crowd is yelling so many opinions back and forth, you can't hear any specific comments...just a roar as hands wail in the air. The wife has her veil, now pulled over her face, as tears run down her cheeks...she tells you one last time..."I'm with you...whatever you decide". WHAT WILL YOU DO?
That's the funniest damn thing I'll see today, without question!

Thanks. I needed to start my day off with a laugh.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #35

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
So, am I the only one waiting for an update???
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #36

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
So, am I the only one waiting for an update???
LOL.

Sorry, all. We have been gone most of the day and just got back in from a celebration ice cream treat!

After much discussion with the better half, we decided to opt in for the coverage. We just realized that we would sleep much better knowing that it was there, rather than praying that nothing went wrong. If we sleep better, then it was worth it. The F&I guy was really cool, I have to admit. He put us under ZERO pressure to sign anything, never once went to "get his manager", etc. He brought the price down by another $500 but only after my suggestion to him that he "make an offer I can't refuse". (We had already decided to get the coverage.)

A monstrous THANK YOU to everyone who offered their own opinions. It was incredibly helpful.

Driving home was great, but I do realize the 2nd thing I will be adding (after the levelers) will be some type of suspension upgrade. It wasn't horrible, but only because I have a bit of experience driving and knew what the trucks were going to do to me when they went by.

Cheers, everyone!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Timmy,
Just remember ONE thing...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #38

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Timmy,
Just remember ONE thing...
Well, Gritz started my day with a laugh; it's appropriate that someone should end it the same way!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The very first suspension "mod" should be a front end alignment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #40

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The very first suspension "mod" should be a front end alignment.
Duly noted.

The guy who did our orientation today was a big fan of both Sumo Springs and front end stabilizers. I didn't realize they cost as much as he said they were, though! About $2k for the Sumos, $1k for the stabilizer.