Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Let's face it in this day and age courtesy is dead...
And for many there is a false sense of entitlement where it's all about "ME". Everybody else just has to get out of their way. Courtesy and rules don't apply to the "entitled".

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

.....cut.....

I just completed 2 round trips from North Florida to Orlando this past weekend on I75 and the Florida Turnpike. If you're not doing 80 you'll be run over. The flow of traffic was 85 to 88 in most places. I had to hang out in the slow lane at 81.

As far as I’m concerned, the worst part of Florida Turnpike is the number of clueless drivers who get in the left lane at an incredibly slow speed (well below speed limit) and force all traffic to pass them on the right. Within minutes it causes long backup which then brings out aggressive behavior out of most drivers as they cut each other off trying to get around the slow-moving vehicle.

I know this happens everywhere, but the numbers on the Florida Turnpike are unusually high. And I’m certain they have no idea whatsoever they are supposed to move over.

Not too long ago I saw a highway patrol officer forced to pass on right after a mile-long backup and I was sure he would pull the idiot over and ticket him, but instead kept going and ignored guy in left lane.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #43
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As far as I’m concerned, the worst part of Florida Turnpike is the number of clueless drivers who get in the left lane at an incredibly slow speed (well below speed limit) and force all traffic to pass them on the right. Within minutes it causes long backup which then brings out aggressive behavior out of most drivers as they cut each other off trying to get around the slow-moving vehicle.

I know this happens everywhere, but the numbers on the Florida Turnpike are unusually high. And I’m certain they have no idea whatsoever they are supposed to move over.

Not too long ago I saw a highway patrol officer forced to pass on right after a mile-long backup and I was sure he would pull the idiot over and ticket him, but instead kept going and ignored guy in left lane.
Yep, see it all the time. They even advertise on the DOT signs "Keep right except to pass - It's the law" but I've never seen it enforced.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Yep, see it all the time. They even advertise on the DOT signs "Keep right except to pass - It's the law" but I've never seen it enforced.
Have you tried doing the "European thing"; and flashed your lights??
It seems to work for me...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #45

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Wow this reminds me of why I never really wanted a dash cam. Technically speaking drink a beer, drive 5 miles over the speed limit and you might be felon; never mine you are a safer driver than 95% of all other drivers. My experience says that poor drivers (stupid, idiot or whatever you prefer) cause the vast amount of accidents. They tend to drive off what they see, i.e. they assume they are faster than an RV; so will pull in front without a clue, same for Motorcycles, they know they are bigger and will pull in front. I admit I drive like a mad man on a Indy 500 Speedway with no curves, but I will bet my money that I drive safer than most anyone including Police officers. But I digress.

About a year ago I bought a Dash cam; ROVE R2-4k. I bought it because one day driving back to Dallas on I-30; I got passed by 3 cars to my left, I was doing 70 mph in my RV so they were going pretty fast. Then I noticed the cars in front were stopping, I could see brake lights coming on; so I started to slow down and was just rolling (California Stop in Texas), the cars that had passed me on my left was doing the same thing before coming to a stop. I was at about 30 mph and swoosh a pick up truck doing my guess of 80mph passed by us on the left; I told my wife no way that truck is going to be able to stop. We helplessly watch him ram the rear of one of the other cars that had just passed that had come to a complete stop due to what eventually was a traffic jam due to road construction a few miles up. The wreck was so severe we stopped, I put out my cones to help divert traffic while others tried to get people out. The father had his daughter ( I am guessing like 5 years old) in a seat belt in the rear. They struggled to get her out, but when they did she was unconscious. Had I had a dash cam then I would have had the entire thing on video. The driver (seem to be in sound mind, no alcohol or anything like that) never saw the cars slowing nor noticed they were stopped, he never even applied the breaks. He was simply a poor driver (stupid, idiot or whatever you prefer)

I gave a report as a witness to the State Police when they arrived. I got a call 2 days later from the Texas State Police that the little girl had died. I ordered my dash cam shortly thereafter.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #46

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have you tried doing the "European thing"; and flashed your lights??
It seems to work for me...

Did I mention clueless?

If they don’t know they should move right at that slow a speed, what are odds they know what flashed lights mean? I’ve tried it many times and most of the time it doesn’t work.

One day when there was very little traffic, I passed a driver doing around 55~60 MPH in the left lane of the Turnpike (speed limit was 70, normal traffic 75~80), and once I got well ahead of him, moved to left and matched his speed. I then turned on my signal and moved right trying to communicate he should move right. That didn’t work either.

I tried it a second time except I touched brake lights (did not apply brakes) with same non-response. I quickly gave up and went on my way. As far as I could see in rear view mirror, he remained in left lane while others passed on his right.

Maybe they feel more comfortable in the left lane because they drive on the “wrong” side of the road back home. I’m just guessing, but the only thing that makes the Florida Turnpike stand out compared to other roads I travel often is that it passes through Orlando (Disney World) which attracts visitors from all over the world. Also, there are a lot of immigrants in south Florida who are just learning to drive as adults because they couldn’t afford cars in their homeland. We learned a lot as kids from our parents’ driving, and how traffic should flow, but many of these drivers in Florida were not as lucky to have cars in their families. Just a guess on my part.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you never try: you'll never know.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #48

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
65mph in an 80mph stream
Due to
Personal comfort

You decide.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #49

THOR #13058
Quote:
Disclaimer: I have limited knowledge of Florida and it's highways, but I wonder if some folks drive on the left on some roads due the left lane being better pavement?

I will never forget picking up our RV and leaving Port St Lucie at night (7:30 ish) Every bump was magnified because coach was new. The coach as tendency to pull slightly to the right, It seems as if I was hitting bump after bump. We spent the night at a Daytona Beach Wal Mart , the next day when I saw the roads, it seemed as if the road shoulders were non existent or had big drop off from the highway? I drove mostly in the left lane the next day until I got to Georgia.

I have sense had the Safe T Plus installed and the no longer drifts, but I will drive in the lane of the better highway when it is rough or bumpy versus throwing everything and everyone around inside the RV.

Now with that said, I may not considered driving slow; even though it is an RV? I drive mostly 70 and speed up to help overtake trucks faster.

I wo
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #50
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Did I mention clueless?

If they don’t know they should move right at that slow a speed, what are odds they know what flashed lights mean? I’ve tried it many times and most of the time it doesn’t work.

One day when there was very little traffic, I passed a driver doing around 55~60 MPH in the left lane of the Turnpike (speed limit was 70, normal traffic 75~80), and once I got well ahead of him, moved to left and matched his speed. I then turned on my signal and moved right trying to communicate he should move right. That didn’t work either.

I tried it a second time except I touched brake lights (did not apply brakes) with same non-response. I quickly gave up and went on my way. As far as I could see in rear view mirror, he remained in left lane while others passed on his right.

Maybe they feel more comfortable in the left lane because they drive on the “wrong” side of the road back home. I’m just guessing, but the only thing that makes the Florida Turnpike stand out compared to other roads I travel often is that it passes through Orlando (Disney World) which attracts visitors from all over the world. Also, there are a lot of immigrants in south Florida who are just learning to drive as adults because they couldn’t afford cars in their homeland. We learned a lot as kids from our parents’ driving, and how traffic should flow, but many of these drivers in Florida were not as lucky to have cars in their families. Just a guess on my part.
I'll second Chance's experience with these clueless drivers.

The other flavor are the ones doing the speed limit (by their speedometer) in the left lane while the flow of traffic is +10 mph. They think they're enforcing the speed limit when they are really breaking the law. Flashing your lights at these types usually invokes a road rage type response.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #51
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Disclaimer: I have limited knowledge of Florida and it's highways, but I wonder if some folks drive on the left on some roads due the left lane being better pavement?

I will never forget picking up our RV and leaving Port St Lucie at night (7:30 ish) Every bump was magnified because coach was new. The coach as tendency to pull slightly to the right, It seems as if I was hitting bump after bump. We spent the night at a Daytona Beach Wal Mart , the next day when I saw the roads, it seemed as if the road shoulders were non existent or had big drop off from the highway? I drove mostly in the left lane the next day until I got to Georgia.

I have sense had the Safe T Plus installed and the no longer drifts, but I will drive in the lane of the better highway when it is rough or bumpy versus throwing everything and everyone around inside the RV.

Now with that said, I may not considered driving slow; even though it is an RV? I drive mostly 70 and speed up to help overtake trucks faster.

I wo
I have never driven the left lane in a car/consume truck because the road was better. They ride so much better than a MH it's not necessary and although there are a few places on I75 where the right lane has issues, that's not the case on the Turnpike.

I have moved to the left lane in the MH on some back road 4 lane highways where the right lane was just terrible to ride in, in a MH; but have always been aware enough of overtaking traffic behind me to move back to the right lane to allow them to overtake me on the left, as designed and required in some states.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
I have never driven the left lane in a car/consume truck because the road was better. They ride so much better than a MH it's not necessary and although there are a few places on I75 where the right lane has issues, that's not the case on the Turnpike.

I have moved to the left lane in the MH on some back road 4 lane highways where the right lane was just terrible to ride in, in a MH; but have always been aware enough of overtaking traffic behind me to move back to the right lane to allow them to overtake me on the left, as designed and required in some states.
Point well taken and duly noted. I don't think we have been on any trip in last two years without the RV. But if I think hard, and way back, I have to agree with you. I was just trying to give the poor drivers, stupid, or idiotic drivers a window out, but you have shut that window. They are on their own