Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #21
Senior Member
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 809
THOR #5246
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Can the overall length of a rig get to a point where you have to obtain permits to travel over certain roads? (Or in certain States?)

Example: A 40 foot-long Class A that is towing a thirty foot trailer (with car and motorcycles aboard...) can easily get to be nearly 80 feet long...
Trying to go cross country with an RV measuring 80' long would be a nightmare IMHO. My new coach is just under 44' long and my enclosed car hauler is 24', with a slightly extended tongue I am approaching 70'. I plan on staying on Interstates and U.S. Highways, or getting off only within 5 miles for a CG or fuel/repairs. There could be a State or two where I may be close, but in most I am legal.

I suspect if your RV combination was approaching 80' it could be an issue maneuvering in many places. My tag axle wheels turns at slow speeds thus making it a little easier to make much tighter turns with my 24' trailer. Even at that there are going to be many CG's I will not be able to enter.

There is a 45' Provost with a 24' or 26' trailer in the CG we are currently in. If I get a chance I'm going to pick his brain on his experiences.

By the way, you may not need a 30' trailer to travel with your car and motorcycle. We are fitting a Harley trike (over 8' long) and a car inside our 24' V-nose.

Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #22
Senior Member
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
Posts: 1,456
THOR #5821
I have been hearing that California is talking about the possibility of requiring a Non Commercial Class A for anything over 26000 pounds and an air brake certificate for anything with air brakes. Haven't seen any legislation introduced at least not yet. Currently a standard Class C is all you need for any weight RV with or without air brakes up to the length of 40 feet, not including a tow car, which legally be as long as 65 feet, I'm pretty sure. Over 40 feet a Non Commercial Class A is required.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:41 AM   #23
Junior Member
Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
Posts: 14
THOR #1228
Keep in mind the cut off is GCWR not GVWR even if you arenít towing.
Msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #24
Senior Member
Wonderdog's Avatar
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 361
THOR #4466
Living in the land of fruit and nuts, Florida, where almost everything is ok, I don't need a CDL. When my license was renewed I decided to maintain my long held Class B CDL and am glad I did.
Dennis and Pam
2021 Casita Independence Deluxe
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2