Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I called Whirlpool today at the number Thor Customer Care gave me. After about 25 minutes on hold, a very nice lady helped me.

Whirlpool is sending a technician to look at / repair our fridge. But they won't take the fridge out of its mounting place, I have to do that before they arrive, so he can get to the back of it where the fan (most likely cause, she said) is located.

Have any of my Challenger friends removed their residential refrigerator? I'm looking for operating experience, please! Is this as easy as a few screws and the physical effort of pulling it out of the nook and setting it on the floor (on top of some carpeting or something)?

Mike
Our Challenger fridge is currently experiencing an issue similar to yours. It's at the dealer where they're handling it. We did have some warranty work done that required that the fridge be moved and replaced, and it hasn't worked since, so I can't say if the failure is due to that or some other issue. I don't know why you should have to remove an under warranty refrigerator! The dealers have reps from the appliance manufactures to deal with stuff like that.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 AM   #42

State: Arizona
THOR #7863
You are correct. I could take it to Camper World and they'd do it. But we've been disappointed with their attention to detail, follow through and workmanship (for example, they replaced a window that we identified as scratched during our PDI, and left a big shmear of yellow gunk on the outside, we had to ask them to clean it off - this was AFTER they'd just buffed out some scratches and "detailed" the coach). So I'm just going to figure it out.

Also, they couldn't even get me in until September, and I'd prefer to get it fixed sooner.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #43

THOR #6310
Quote:
You are correct. I could take it to Camper World and they'd do it. But we've been disappointed with their attention to detail, follow through and workmanship (for example, they replaced a window that we identified as scratched during our PDI, and left a big shmear of yellow gunk on the outside, we had to ask them to clean it off - this was AFTER they'd just buffed out some scratches and "detailed" the coach). So I'm just going to figure it out.

Also, they couldn't even get me in until September, and I'd prefer to get it fixed sooner.
Gotcha. We would probably do the same in your situation. Sorry we can't help with the fridge removal. So far this dealer that has our RV has been great to work with, and within our time frame, but they also told us the fridge was working last week and when we went to pick it up, it was not. We shall see what happens this week.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #44

State: Ohio
THOR #8515
do you have an issue with your awning not coming in?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #45

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by krod View Post
do you have an issue with your awning not coming in?
No, at least not much of a problem. It took a few tries on battery power alone, but on the diesel or shore power it's been fine, the few times we've operated the awning so far.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #46

THOR #7863
So Whirlpool tech came today to see why our residential fridge won't get cold and won't make ice, though the freezer works well enough to keep ice cubes (bagged) frozen.

Turns out the two fans are not working. Both are getting 120 volts with the gennie running, power is Gerri g to the fans but they won't turn.

Tech says he's only replaced one fan in two years, and never saw both of them out.

Lucky me.

Fans on order, fridge sitting on some moving blankets on the floor, no camping for me next week after all.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #47

State: Ohio
THOR #8515
sorry to hear that so far ours is working good. have you tried to hook up you black tank drain hose? Mine is not lined up with hole ih floor,I have to use 2 45 degree connections,still hard to connect.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #48

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by krod View Post
sorry to hear that so far ours is working good. have you tried to hook up you black tank drain hose? Mine is not lined up with hole ih floor,I have to use 2 45 degree connections,still hard to connect.
The valve is movable. I didn't think so, but people here told me so and I tried it. You CAN point it downward, I only use one elbow. Works for mid and rear tanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #49

THOR #6310
Quote:
So Whirlpool tech came today to see why our residential fridge won't get cold and won't make ice, though the freezer works well enough to keep ice cubes (bagged) frozen.

Turns out the two fans are not working. Both are getting 120 volts with the gennie running, power is Gerri g to the fans but they won't turn.

Tech says he's only replaced one fan in two years, and never saw both of them out.

Lucky me.

Fans on order, fridge sitting on some moving blankets on the floor, no camping for me next week after all.
So how hard is it to pull the fridge? Ours is still not working properly. Dealer had Whirlpool tech come out who said it was the condenser, condenser ordered and replaced. Picked up the RV today, fridge cool-ish but still not cold. Freezer will freeze stuff on the bottom shelf but not the top and will not make ice. Fridge temp holding at 73. I think we have the same problem as you, faulty fans. I do not want to take it back to the dealer AGAIN.

I am a patient, reasonable, person but I am now more than a little fed up with returning this RV to the dealer and finding issues not fixed and in a few cases, actually worse off.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 AM   #50

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
So how hard is it to pull the fridge? Ours is still not working properly. Dealer had Whirlpool tech come out who said it was the condenser, condenser ordered and replaced. Picked up the RV today, fridge cool-ish but still not cold. Freezer will freeze stuff on the bottom shelf but not the top and will not make ice. Fridge temp holding at 73. I think we have the same problem as you, faulty fans. I do not want to take it back to the dealer AGAIN.

I am a patient, reasonable, person but I am now more than a little fed up with returning this RV to the dealer and finding issues not fixed and in a few cases, actually worse off.
You can call Whirlpool, they'll send a local tech. But you have to have the fridge out so he can get to the back - they won't do it because they fear liability if they scratch the wood.

I got the number for Whirlpool from Thor Customer Care.

There are three brackets on mine. One bottom center, and two on the top - one on each side.

I had to pry a wooden fascia board off the top to get to the brackets. It was on with staples (brad nails?) but I'm going to use screws when I put it back up.

Fridge is heavy. Took my son helping me to pull it out then lay it on some moving blankets. I'm going to have two sons here when we put it back, it's that heavy.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #51

THOR #7863
I would like to mount my Eez TPMS receiver to my console, on the left side of the radio/climate control structure. Don't trust double sided tape to hold it there long term.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use screws through the padded material. Has anyone done that? Did you damage the console doing it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_121040.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	6699  
Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #52

THOR #6310
Quote:
I would like to mount my Eez TPMS receiver to my console, on the left side of the radio/climate control structure. Don't trust double sided tape to hold it there long term.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use screws through the padded material. Has anyone done that? Did you damage the console doing it?

Thanks!
That's our next upgrade. Interested to see where and how you ultimately mount it.

Turns out both fans were shot in our fridge also. The tech originally replaced the condenser fan but didn't stick around long enough to check it. My husband did some research, pulled the cover in the freezer compartment and determined the evaporator fan had juice but the fan wasn't turning. Had a part delivered overnight and now we are back in business, without yet another trip to the dealer. Happy Labor day weekend camping for us!

Hope you get yours up and running soon!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #53

THOR #7863
Wow, wish I was that handy!

Wife doesn't want me to drill holes in the console, so I am goi g to look for some good double sided the 3M stuff isn't going to do it but I know it's meant to be temporary.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #54

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
My experience with velcro in vehicles is that the heat causes glue on velcro strips to loosen and let go. Hope you can find some that is more heat resistant that the various types I've tried.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:26 AM   #55

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
I used the window suction cup mount and put it on the drivers side window far enough forward that I can still see the mirror. Works great
BruceW
Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #56

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWare View Post
I used the window suction cup mount and put it on the drivers side window far enough forward that I can still see the mirror. Works great
BruceW
Thanks Bruce. I passed on that option because of the way the Challenger is configured, but I'll give it another look.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:19 AM   #57

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
My experience with velcro in vehicles is that the heat causes glue on velcro strips to loosen and let go. Hope you can find some that is more heat resistant that the various types I've tried.
Thanks Chief. We tried a temporary mount with Velcro, and as you said it didn't have LD on a hot day. I'm looking at Gorilla double sided mounting tape.