Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I found and ordered this on Amazon. It's not cheap, but it "looks like" it'll be the most sure, hassle free option for my use. And it's Amazon so if I don't like it, I can return it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/f.html?C=2...YDQVCS20WNJWEA

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #22

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
The suction mount I purchased for my Garmin 770 kept falling off so I used a bit of museum putty to secure it in place! It hasn't fallen off since!
I use museum putty to secure most everything in my Axis. It's cheap, it takes very little to work, it holds well and is reusable! What's not to like?

I suggest trying a bit of clear RTV silicone for your regular Garmin mount. I tried using the suction cup on the radio "shelf", but lost enough of my satellite signals that I dropped NAV in the middle of Sacramento on a busy Friday (when I really could have used it, BTW!). The next day, I asked my son (who happened to work for Scosche at the time), and learned that Scosche doesn't actually make a mount with that little ball tip that Garmin uses.... So I bought that bean bag mount mentioned above. It works. Sort of. It slides around too much for my tastes, but maybe it's just me. I actually stuck some Velcro under IT. Velcro or silicone aren't permanent, and can be shifted around fairly easily until you find the sweet spot where you want it to stay.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #23

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Highly recommend this adhesive for your mount.

ARKON APVHB20 90mm Extra Strength Adhesive Mounting Disk for Car Dashboards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YPNVMUU..._tJyJzbTEVGERQ

Ken
Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #971
I used that disk Ken it worked great for a year then I found my gps on the floor I have tried everything I used silicone on the disk 24 hour dry time and the gps has not fallen off since. Just my thoughts
Old 08-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
We stayed in same cg last year and had same difficulty with Seiki tvs. They are not compatible with the cg system. I called Seiki and learned they are one of only a few tvs that are not configured with a certain system to receive the cg satellite distribution system. I used the "OVER AIR" antennae and we got along fine. The Seiki tv is one of only a few of all tv makes that does not contain the needed system to display the inputs from that particular distribution combination, as I understand it. I've threatened to trade in the seikis for a different, and compatible tv.
Bruce W
16 Windsport 31S
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Mike, I've found out there is no need to take it to CW for repair. Ask around and find a good RV repair place. Have them take a look and then call THOR to get authorization to do the warranty work. I was amazed at how easy it was and the work was way better than CW.
Thanx,
Dan
Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #27

THOR #5645
And here's a thought on the residential fridge. I was going to call THOR about ours but had the inspired (her name's Brenda) thought that maybe I should read the book first. Turns out it's a matter of balancing the airflow and temp controls. Once we understood that the two work together we were able to reach a happy medium. I just checked - it was 90 today - and the fridge is 41 degrees. Play with it.
Thanx,
Dan
Old 08-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #28

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
Mike, I've found out there is no need to take it to CW for repair. Ask around and find a good RV repair place. Have them take a look and then call THOR to get authorization to do the warranty work. I was amazed at how easy it was and the work was way better than CW.
Thanx,
Dan
Thanks for the tip, Dan! My sister in law suggested we talk to a mechanic they know, and he said he does Thor Warranty work. He said Thor takes as long as six months to pay him, and it's a small business so he asks that we pay him, then collect from Thor. I'm thinking, as long as I see a Thor authorization, that would be okay. I plan to call Thor to discuss Monday.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #29

THOR #7863
Quote:
And here's a thought on the residential fridge. I was going to call THOR about ours but had the inspired (her name's Brenda) thought that maybe I should read the book first. Turns out it's a matter of balancing the airflow and temp controls. Once we understood that the two work together we were able to reach a happy medium. I just checked - it was 90 today - and the fridge is 41 degrees. Play with it.
Thanx,
Dan
I'm not sure I understand. There are two controls I'm aware of, one each for fridge and freezer (both located in fridge), that say "Colder-warmer" or something similar. Do you mean, turn freezer a bit warmer and the fridge may get colder? The freezer worked great for us, by the way.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #30

THOR #7863
Rookie mistake!

Ok, I learned a good lesson today.

Disconnected everything at the CG, packed up all our stuff. Pulled the wheel chocks, retracted the slides... WHOA! What the?!?!?!?

It rained last night. Sounded kinda nice and peaceful in the Challenger. When we leveled on Tuesday, the front Right came up a lot. Rear Left jack never even lowered at all. Apparently, the rain water settled on the full slide (left side), didn't drain because of the tilt. So when we retracted the slide, a lot of water came down inside the rig.

So my lesson is, retract the leveling jacks before retracting the slides!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:17 AM   #31

THOR #5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I'm not sure I understand. There are two controls I'm aware of, one each for fridge and freezer (both located in fridge), that say "Colder-warmer" or something similar. Do you mean, turn freezer a bit warmer and the fridge may get colder? The freezer worked great for us, by the way.
My Windsport has a Whirlpool. The control in the fridge says OFF...MIN...MAX and the control in the freezer says FREEZER CONTROL. The one in the freezer is actually an airflow control the sends freezer air to the fridge. I'm guessing you have the same? Look at your book. thanx
Old 08-12-2017, 01:40 AM   #32

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
I personally don't think retracting the levelers first and then retracting the slides is a good idea. The first thing I do when arriving is level and the last thing I do before I leave is retract them. The jarring sometimes when retracting would not be good for the slides. If your worried about water on the slide cover just drain it off before retracting.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #33

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Ok, I learned a good lesson today.

Disconnected everything at the CG, packed up all our stuff. Pulled the wheel chocks, retracted the slides... WHOA! What the?!?!?!?

It rained last night. Sounded kinda nice and peaceful in the Challenger. When we leveled on Tuesday, the front Right came up a lot. Rear Left jack never even lowered at all. Apparently, the rain water settled on the full slide (left side), didn't drain because of the tilt. So when we retracted the slide, a lot of water came down inside the rig.

So my lesson is, retract the leveling jacks before retracting the slides!
Do what you want, but my advice is never operate your slides in or out without the jacks down. Your coach has a huge hole in it where the slide goes, if the jacks aren't down and your coach level you run a risk of your slide binding in that big hole. When you park and level your coach it's always a good idea to verify your jacks are down and level before moving the slides, this makes sure the frame of your coach is solid.

You should have received a manual for your jacks. Get a 36" bubble level, lower your jacks in automatic mode, use the level to see how your coach is sitting. If it's not level use the instructions in your manual to reset the automatic level. Many times from the factory the auto level is not set very well, mine was off enough I had to reset it, you should check yours too. Many people set their auto level VERY slightly low on the drivers side so the AC condensation will run off to that side.

Someone may disagree with this advice but in the end it's your coach.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #34

THOR #7863
Thanks all, I will have to rethink the level/water thing. If I was level, and it was, then why would water be up there waiting to rain inside when I closed the slides? I'm confused!

I'll also check the fridge again to find what I missed.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 AM   #35

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Thanks all, I will have to rethink the level/water thing. If I was level, and it was, then why would water be up there waiting to rain inside when I closed the slides? I'm confused!

I'll also check the fridge again to find what I missed.
Two reasons that I can think of. Water sometimes tends to pool on the slide topper in heavy rains, not much you can do about that. Depending on your coach orientation relative to the storm wind can blow rain under the slide topper and it pools on the slide. One more trick, when setting the auto level you can also put in a LITTLE nose high for condensation drainage and for the rain. Since you have a residential fridge it's not as picky about being level as an RV fridge.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 AM   #36

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Two reasons that I can think of. Water sometimes tends to pool on the slide topper in heavy rains, not much you can do about that. Depending on your coach orientation relative to the storm wind can blow rain under the slide topper and it pools on the slide. One more trick, when setting the auto level you can also put in a LITTLE nose high for condensation drainage and for the rain. Since you have a residential fridge it's not as picky about being level as an RV fridge.
Got it, thanks Dave!
Old 08-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #37

THOR #7863
Quote:
My Windsport has a Whirlpool. The control in the fridge says OFF...MIN...MAX and the control in the freezer says FREEZER CONTROL. The one in the freezer is actually an airflow control the sends freezer air to the fridge. I'm guessing you have the same? Look at your book. thanx
My Challenger also has a Whirlpool residential fridge. Model WRS322FDAM04.

No controls in the Freezer side. In the refrigerator side, at the top (inside) there are two knobs, I've tried various settings because both on Colder did not help cool the fridge. Freezer is great.

There's a phone number on another sticker, I'll call it Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170812_170411.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6333  
Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #38

State: California
THOR #7060
Hang in there, its a huge learning curve. It will get easier. It took my husband and I over one year, a trailor, a Class C and now our perfect size 25 foot 24,1 thor vegas. We love it now, we were also fortunate our first year we had friends who were seasoned and we learned a lot from them. Don't give up, there are always some bugs to work out
Old 08-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #39

THOR #7863
Well, I guess the shower drain WOULD leak into the basement, since it was never connected to begin with. Argh.

Hopefully I'm not going to have problems with whatever that electrical harness is for, down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_112257.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	6360  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #40

THOR #7863
I called Whirlpool today at the number Thor Customer Care gave me. After about 25 minutes on hold, a very nice lady helped me.

Whirlpool is sending a technician to look at / repair our fridge. But they won't take the fridge out of its mounting place, I have to do that before they arrive, so he can get to the back of it where the fan (most likely cause, she said) is located.

Have any of my Challenger friends removed their residential refrigerator? I'm looking for operating experience, please! Is this as easy as a few screws and the physical effort of pulling it out of the nook and setting it on the floor (on top of some carpeting or something)?

Mike