Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: WS31
State: Wisconsin
THOR #25771
Instant hot water heater question

Hi all,
Just received our Thor Quantum Class C with instant hot water heat. My concern is when using the shower or other faucets for that matter when I tried to regulate it with cold water it drops off significantly. If I leave the hot on only it works fine for the shower.

My question is should I just leave it that way or am I doing something wrong??

Thanks
Pete

Old 01-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #2

Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
THOR #24507
I have the same heater. It is very touchy and needs water pressure to work. You will get use to it and find it is and will be a pain in the butt. Wait until you try using it at a campground with low pressure!. Keep your fresh water tank filled and use your water pump when that happens. Does anyone out there have a idea on how to get it to operate with lower pressures without burning it out? Mine works well if there is a good pressure on the line. ( more than just the internal pump puts out).
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Low pressure:
Never use the shore water. Always use your tank and pump for consistency.[the poster might have a pump problem]
No one I tell this to has ever had a convincing argument against it.

The hot water:
Almost all of us have found a temperature setting we like without blending in cold.
The heater is perfect that way.

You're 108° and the spouse is 103°?
It's five taps up or down on the up or down arrows of the controller.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I assume that this is the Girard tankless water heater. If so, do not try mixing hot and cold water to get your required shower temp. Set the temperature you want on the Girard panel and always only use the hot water full on. Mine is set for 110 F.

If that won't always work, remove the shower head and look for a plastic restrictive orifice inside. Remove it and throw it away. The Girard should now stay on.

For FHU users, my advice is to fill your tank from the campground's water supply, but use the coach's freshwater pump. That way the pressure is always the same. Low campground pressure may not supply enough water to trigger the Girard's flow sensor.

And finally, sometimes the sensor sticks so it will never come on. First try tapping with the handle of a screwdriver. It can be reached by opening the outside cover. The flow switch is on the right side. If the switch has failed, call Girard and they will send you a replacement.

David
Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #5

Model: Thor Delano 24TT
THOR #24507
Great points. It seems to me if you set the temp higher and turned both hot and cold on at the same time you will get more pressure from your shower head. You are now opening 2 valves for more flow. The way that has been described is easier but does not produce as much pressure. Try both of your faucets at the same time to see the difference. My water pump works decent. I have at times had better PSI and GPM from outside sources. That is when I get that great higher pressure shower like you get at home. Of course you usually want full hookups at that time as the shower use does use water if you want to linger like sometimes we all do. At a 2.5 GPM shower head and 5 minute shower times 2 (can’t forget your wife)is 25 gallons. Most of us love a nice long high pressure shower at times. I guess the full timers get used to it! . I have learned quite a bit from all the forum comments.
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #6

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
We've had both types of water heaters on campers. Tankless is preferred for us. There is no maintenance, zero. No winterization needed either. Barely uses propane. Lighter weight...
Had an issue one time with low water pressure in a Georgia State Park but no big deal.
We change the temperature setting all the time depending on the task. Wash dishes, crank up the heat, quicker and saves water.
Shower, 95 for me, wife 106. Never use cold water knob unless filling up a glass to drink.
Would recommend to anyone, but there is a learning curve understanding how it works and how that effects how you operate it.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:20 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Some people love it, I hated it and getting a new RV I made sure that POS wasn't in it.

One issue especially the XG32 is the shower is tiny and for me it was difficult to lather up with the water running. Can't turn the water off because that interrupts the hot water flow to the shower resulting in steam of cold when you turn it back on. Lousy entry-level bottom shelf design in my opinion.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have had both systems and love the tankless system best. I never run out of hot water(unless propane runs out). Like others have said, set it to the hot temp you like and leave it. No need to mix cold with it. It does require about 55 psi to operate correctly. If the campground pressure is too low, just use your onboard water tank and pump. I use an adjustable pressure regulator and know if the campground pressure is too low/high when I first set up. I also changed out the cheap shower head for a better one.

Paul
Old 01-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #9

THOR #25771
Matthew, Thanks for the reply. and the great advice.We have now figured it out with some trial and error for showers and doing the dishes. I have ordered a high pressure shower head like we had in or TT so I know that will be big help as well.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #10

THOR #25771
Thanks all for the advice on this issue. We have it now figured out with some trial and errors.

Pete
Old 07-30-2022, 10:40 PM   #11

Model: Quantum WS31
State: Washington
THOR #27401
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I also changed out the cheap shower head for a better one.

Paul

Please share a picture! I'd be interested in changing out mine.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
This is the one to get…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...88400175209def
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E2D7011-9C6B-451F-9530-0EBDFC2CEA1F.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	38948  
Old 07-30-2022, 10:53 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Any Oxygenics shower head is a vast improvement over OEM RV shower heads.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:55 PM   #14

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Also consider upgrading the cheap 60” plastic hose for a metal one that’s 72”.
That way you have enough length to hose down the toilet (assuming it’s in the same space)