Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Insurance and Extended Warranties

Just curious what your thoughts are on insurance and extended warranties on a 2017 Axis 24.1. The dealer pretty much told me stick with whoever I have all my homeowners and vehicles insured through, which for me is Allstate, but is there a benefit with going with a company like Good Sam which i believe specializes in rv's?
Also the dealer introduced us to an extended warranty through USA travel care for an additional 1400$ says it is their platinum plan and covers for 5yrs. Salesman isn't pushy about it but did say however that if he were to buy a plan, out of the several he had to pitch us, this was the one that would be most beneficial.
Whether its a sales ploy or not still curious if it is worth taking a look into?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimez78 View Post
Just curious what your thoughts are on insurance and extended warranties on a 2017 Axis 24.1. The dealer pretty much told me stick with whoever I have all my homeowners and vehicles insured through, which for me is Allstate, but is there a benefit with going with a company like Good Sam which i believe specializes in rv's?
Also the dealer introduced us to an extended warranty through USA travel care for an additional 1400$ says it is their platinum plan and covers for 5yrs. Salesman isn't pushy about it but did say however that if he were to buy a plan, out of the several he had to pitch us, this was the one that would be most beneficial.
Whether its a sales ploy or not still curious if it is worth taking a look into?
Advice about using whoever insures your other vehicles is sound. Save your money and skip the extended warranty. If you finance it with your coach you are paying a lot more than $1400 when you figure in the interest.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I live in California and use Farmers for my home and auto. But their coverage was very expensive for the RV. I went with Progressive and have had one claim. They treated me well. I didn't even know it but I had vanishing deductible. My suggestion is to shop around.

As for an extended warranty, DON'T! If you are buying new technology, maybe. But there is nothing in a Thor that is new. There will be issues. But create a good relationship with your dealer and it will be a better deal.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:14 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Didn't realize you re-posted here... I answered in the other thread...
Copying here:

Several threads recently on extended warranties... search for those as several of us added opinions...

For the insurance question - I would certainly get a quote from your current insurance company - there are often 'multi line' discounts that can help...
But I would compare with a company that specializes in RV coverage as well.

While my then provider (State Farm) quoted a policy for me, they admitted it wasn't their specialty - and the quote wasn't competitive. Price and 'Agreed Value' (replacement coverage) were the two major areas.

I used National General for the first 2 years on the current RV... Last renewal they tried to raise my premiums about 40% (no claims, no violations... just a 'thank you for being a customer'.. lol)
Now insured through SafeCo...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah it really isn't necessary to post the same question in multiple places on here as your question will be answered in all of them by the same people! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Thanks for the advise. I will do some shopping around, and the info on the extended warranty is useful.

Yeah sorry for the re-post. I realized when I initially posted in the other forum section it wasn't the appropriate area. So I thought re-posting in this forum was more appropriate.

Tanks again.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
State: Florida
THOR #7078
Insurance and extended warranty

Hello,
My name is Suzzanne, I recently purchased a thor Tuscany xte 40Ax, I have cornerstone for my extended warranty and progressive for my insurance.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Good Sam Club warranty and RV insurance (National )
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote