Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #1332
Insurance Provider Options

Hello,

I'm in the research stage in buying a Vegas/Axis. I've searched the forums and didn't find much information; I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to post this question.

I live in NC and have called Geico and Progressive for quotes on a new 2015 Vegas and both quotes were around the $480-$500 mark for 6 months.

$1000 Deductible
$30/60K bodily
$25K Property
$30/60/25K Uninsured

Are there other providers that I should be calling?

Thanks in advance for your experience and help!

Brandon

Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
National General.
USAA if you qualify (it's actually Progressive, but with deep discounts).

For USAA, only military, prior-military, or family can qualify.

Also, if you put your RV into storage, some insurance plans will let you drop collision coverage for those months in storage. It makes a big difference for us in the north as my coach sits in storage for 5 months or so in the winter time.

Your season is most likely longer, but even 3 months of idle time would be a significant difference.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
National General.
USAA if you qualify (it's actually Progressive, but with deep discounts).

For USAA, only military, prior-military, or family can qualify.

Also, if you put your RV into storage, some insurance plans will let you drop collision coverage for those months in storage. It makes a big difference for us in the north as my coach sits in storage for 5 months or so in the winter time.

Your season is most likely longer, but even 3 months of idle time would be a significant difference.
Thanks for your answers and insight. I went to USAA and when I clicked the motor home insurance link it lead to: https://www.progressive.com/Insuranc...motorhome.aspx. I called and the man from Progressive said that they are one and the same; and that there would be no difference in costs.

Good advice on the storage; I hadn't thought of that.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have State Farm and it is very reasonable in Illinois don't know about North Carolina.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
When I got a quote from USAA, it was pretty reasonable, so my perception was they were giving an additional discount... but maybe not.

My quote was under $700 for a year if I recall. A big difference in price is if you elect replacement value, agreed value, or other method. Of course, I have a different RV than yours and probably a lower agreed value.

I guess though, you would have to get a quote through the USAA website (or call them) to find out for sure. There are so many options in the RV policies that one or two options could easily make a difference in the cost.

I am in the process of moving all of my auto/home/rv insurance over to USAA as they renew. It's a few months yet before my rv insurance renews, so I'll be in the process of getting quotes myself soon.

At least USAA will give me additional multi-car discounts as I move more policies over.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
The quality of insurance is the response to claims. I do not have a horse in the race for any insurance company but I do know what a claim response is. We lost everything in a tornado 11/17/2013 along with 1100 hundred other homes, 800 of them wiped out and the nightmares with different companies are amazing. We where blessed and where treated very well by our insurance company.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
You got a good point. My neighbor had a tree fall on his house over Labor Day weekend, 2014 due to a storm. There is still a hole in the side of his house and the snow is falling. They finally have a dumpster in their front yard along with a storage container and a dozen or so rafters, but no repairs have started yet.

It took us 6 months to settle with our boat insurance when our boat was damaged, but the insurance finally came through.

Can't blame them for the entire delay though (boat was in a building fire), as the fire marshal cordoned off the entire site for at least 60 days to do their investigation (there was a serious injury to one boat owner), then the marina's insurance company lawyered up and got the building off-limits for another 30 days to do their "investigation".

So all in all, it took about 90 days for my insurance company to settle after getting all of the estimates.

Too bad that insurance company doesn't insure RVs though, as I would have went with them.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I have Progressive now. My 2010 Airstream Interstate 3500 was $500.00 for the year and my 2015 Axis is $450.00 for the year with much less deductible. I am in Southern Indiana.