Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2021, 02:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Thor Omni BH 35
State: Arizona
THOR #7398
Insurance question

I was wondering if anyone had any luck with insurance giving discounts for storing your rig on your property. I store my RV in my back yard behind my fence on an RV pad. I currently have All State Insurance, and have all my vehicles and home on it. The RV is also insured by All State under a different broker. Just wondering if I can get a better deal. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2021, 03:03 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You can surely try. Go to an independent agent and have them shop your policies. I know GEICO has told me they will lower the price if I take the coach off the road and list it as being stored. I haven't taken them up on it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #3

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I left Allstate to go to Liberty Mutual then left them for Sams Club insurance and left them for Indiana Farmers. In this evolutionary process I went from $700 down to $270 for full coverage with a $500 deductible. With a rig valued well ver $100,000 that is a real deal.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
insurance is all about quotes, quotes, and quotes, from all differing sources - but your independent agent typically has the most 'options' for various RV situations, as you describe - no single insurance company is going to be the answer for everybody, period.

everyone lives in a different state, has differing personal characteristics, financial needs, and personal situations - there is NO insurance company that can EVER appeal to everyone. Check around, it's the ONLY option.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
by the way, I AM AN INDEPENDENT INSURANCE AGent, and yes, I TOO, have to get quotes, quotes, quotes, from ALL of my RV insurance companies to know 'which' is best for my situation - and my situation has changed over the years, and SO has my insurance companies.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Speaking as another Independent Insurance Agent (43 years): I agree with Turner...
But shop with an Agent who is either a known RVer, oir has access to companies that specialize in insuring RVs. They know the market, and will have the best packages of coverage available.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Speaking as another Independent Insurance Agent (43 years): I agree with Turner...
But shop with an Agent who is either a known RVer, oir has access to companies that specialize in insuring RVs. They know the market, and will have the best packages of coverage available.
Good luck!
I gave you the short version of how I changed companies 3-4 years in a row. Long version?

I scan my current policy in my computer
I contact 5-10 companies or Agency’s and ask for their email for quotes
I send out the scans attached to emails asking for better rates
I answer via email only any questions they have prior to quoting
I look over the quotes in email and respond to the best with a good company
I pay once per year in full to ensure the lowest possible cost.

Works every time and saves me spending time on the phone with a talking head. (No offense to anyone but Bob) 😂😂just kiddin Bob you’re my guy you know that! 🥸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A595667-5956-476B-B5BA-272E2BC5068F.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	28689  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Works every time and saves me spending time on the phone with a talking head. (No offense to anyone but Bob) 😂😂just kiddin Bob you’re my guy you know that! 🥸
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1614097207
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Talking Heads.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	28690  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #9

Model: 2021 Thor Omni BH 35
State: Arizona
THOR #7398
Thanks everyone for the insight. We are going to just call around, but most likely will be sticking with Allstate.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #10

Model: 24' Sprinter/Chateau
State: Delaware
THOR #20378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex55 View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight. We are going to just call around, but most likely will be sticking with Allstate.

Been there, ended up in the same place. Got quotes from everybody; Sams', every group and club that we belong to, all of the bigger insurance companies, plus two independent brokers. Been an Allstate customer for decades, but our agent's office had zero experience with motor homes - go figure. Didn't really matter since the agents and brokers don't do the underwriting, and that was basically who or what set the quote. We get a bunch of stacked discounts; loyalty, accident free, living in the middle of nowhere, homeowners & four cars plus a second home. They offer to finance, but I pay for the year just out'a habit - don't recall if that saves me more, but they still had the best price initially. Then, about a month after we tagged the vehicle I got the bill (they gave us a binder over the phone since we were already customers, so that was convenient as well).

Turns out they dropped the price another 8% or so, for what I did not ask and the agent couldn't say, but when they offered to call underwriting to ask I considered it a gift horse and just said skip it.

We've never had any trouble with Allstate, but I have owned many businesses over the years, and I've had numerous clients who I helped review and replace policies of all kinds, and this is what I will say about my experiences with some of the big boys (not related to any specific RV claims).

Erie was a nightmare on straight up Inland Marine policy on a piece of earth moving equipment that was stolen while at a service yard. Had to sue them to force a resolution.

Liberty Mutual - dicked and farted around, obfuscated, low-balled, adjuster went into the witness protection program (or so it seemed), and ultimately took them almost a year to pay off on a homeowners' claim that a neighbor filed when he flipped a track hoe over that I had lent him. Again, not your standard vehicle type policy, but neither are RV's.

State Farm & Jake - friend's house was a total loss from a gas furnace fire. I've also had three or four other friends who experienced significant HO claims with them, and although I'm not a fan of the way they try to push their contractors on people, they did follow through with rebuild settlements on some pretty complicated claims.

Farmers was priced pretty reasonably (this was commercial vehicles mainly I seem to recall) but first claim they dropped the client, and it was minor after about two years of coverage.

Did I mention that Erie sucked? They were absolutely the cheapest for a fair number of products and different quotes, but my experience with them and just two claims was basically that they fight tooth and nail to avoid settling anything. I finally recovered the stolen equipment that they refused payment on, and I had the thief arrested almost a year later (total serendipity, no Dick Tracy work - I just happened to end up behind it at a toll booth as it was being moved to a new job site). Filed a claim with Erie under the vandalism coverage, since the boom arms had been bent and the undercarriage messed up 'cuz the guy who stole it obviously didn't care and ran it like he stole it. Erie came back and told me to sue the guy civilly, which I ultimately did, but them - not the perp. My question to the insurance commission was "tell me again just what the F%$# did I pay premiums for in the first place?".

Not an Erie fan.

Allstate, btw, didn't really care where I stored my rig apparently, but mine is in a mildly conditioned (so never freezes or gets above about 85 degrees F., 'cuz I like to work in there too) free-standing pole barn where no fuels or tanks are stored. They also insure the building and property. I don't recall the entirety of our discourse, but I do know that Coverage in Mexico is gonna be an issue, but Canada is not, I'm pretty sure. And actually, Mexico may not be an issue within about 25 - 50 miles of the U.S. border, but don't count on my memory if that matters to ya.

They do cover towing to an actual facility that can do the real repairs. I've heard tell of some who discover too late that their RV tow coverage just gets them off of the interstate and into somebody's locked yard where they start charging storage immediately, but either do no repair work, or they're just tire and muffler type shops, so make sure you're clear on that with your agent, as well as if and when you ever need a tow - BEFORE they touch your rig. Got a horror story about a towing scam up in R.I. for another time and place...

Anyway, I lurked on this forum and several others for a while before poking around and requesting quotes - all just to end up right where I started. If ya have a bunch of stuff to insure, beyond your rig, having just that one bill and point of contact for all insurance issues is also something of quantifiable value. My broker/agent is no Einstein, and if he hadn't been sending me calendars for the last 36 years he wouldn't know who I was, but his staff is great, and anytime I need anything, they are always quick and happy to help, and that should be worth something, so don't let a few bucks make the difference if ya find a cheaper quote. If ya do, I'd still give your Allstate agent a shot at figuring out a way to get there.

And no, not I, nor anyone in my family works for them, or anybody else in the industry.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So Erie was cheap...
Has anyone ever saved enough in premium; to make up for lousy service?
Old 02-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #12

THOR #6280
Quote:
So Erie was cheap...
Has anyone ever saved enough in premium; to make up for lousy service?
Yes! I have really really low RV full coverage rates. My Agent who reps several lines is darn cool about taking care of anything. I have zero complaints.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
For our Axis 25.2 We went with Progressive. (Nationwide stopped insuring RVs in Texas.)
However, regardless of choice, perhaps a couple of small points.
We wanted to make sure Windshield coverage is specifically covered for that large Axis / Vegas windshield.
And when asked the question about additional safety gear we shared the installation of a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer to potentially reduce impact of front tire blow out and did receive an additional small discount for that.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #14

THOR #20378
I'm also running a small 'C' with a Sprinter frontal area, so I'm guessing my windshield replacement is maybe about what your mirror glass costs, but you do raise an important issue beyond simple costs and features (or lack of) with regard to different rigs having different vulnerabilities.

My experience thus far with insurance companies in general is pretty simple; they are in biz to make money, not give it away, so I half expect them to try and screw me at every turn. The agents are just sales tools that pass paper when there's a claim afoot, and it's not that I've had many, but when I do, that's not the time to try and get granular with what you don't cover. I read the policies, but I also expect a straight no bullshit offering from the agent. Mine knows exactly what I want and need, and that I think him a useless idiot and an obfuscating liar, but he IS a salesman, so of course all of that is true, and I thank him all of the time for not trying to insult me by suggesting that he gives a shit about me in any other way. It took ten years, but I finally did convince him that his sending me thank you and Xmas cards just irritates me and pisses me off, so we've developed an understanding.

My Allstate broker is very dutiful about answering all of my questions and making sure that every one of my squirrely "what if's" is answered factually and in writing, from someone who will later potentially be involved in deciding what and if gets covered in their ubiquitous grey areas. You know, the ones that they later tell you "well, you should have read the policy and asked about that then".

If you've had nothing but great experiences with yours, by all means, please share the company info, 'cuz I'm always open to saving money, I just don't trust anyone whose mortgage payment is dependent on me. Ya see, it's all about motive and opportunity, just like in a crime, except what they do is considered legal. I mean, why do ya think they take your money, and mail you the policy later, sometimes much later? Just thinkin' on it, it's a lot like organized religion when ya get right down to it, a kind of Whimpy's Gambit if you will, where I will gladly grant you eternal life and salvation for a tithe/hamburger today. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

But hey, don't let my cynicism and antisocial personality disorder get ya down, I've just lived too long and, believe it or not, I have been lied to before.

Gonna be real interesting to watch the insurance companies line up to disallow all of these Covid treatment claims, 'cuz ya just know that they will...
Old 02-28-2021, 11:08 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Idiots and liars...
Old 02-28-2021, 11:23 PM   #16

THOR #20378
Quote:
. Idiots and liars...

and of course, I worked a lotta years as one of them.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:01 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At least I'm not a lawyer...
Or worse yet: a member of Congress!
Old 03-01-2021, 06:47 AM   #18

THOR #20378
Quote:
At least I'm not a lawyer...
Or worse yet: a member of Congress!

Nor I.

OT, but do you throw up in your own mouth, just a little bit, when ya hear them refer to each other as "the honorable", or is it just me... ?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #19

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
I have good sams Insurance, National General When I park mine my Insurance goes from 175.00 a month to 49.00. Big savings. Just call them 24 hours before I need it and they put full coverage back on it.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #20

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex55 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any luck with insurance giving discounts for storing your rig on your property. I store my RV in my back yard behind my fence on an RV pad. I currently have All State Insurance, and have all my vehicles and home on it. The RV is also insured by All State under a different broker. Just wondering if I can get a better deal. Thanks!
FMCA has a great insurance service and "always" checks for the best rate!
They saved me north of 50% from a Progressive Policy.
Everyone has a different dynamic for many different reasons!