Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
An interesting floorplan

This is an interesting non-Thor coach: The Coachmen Cross Trail 20XG:

https://coachmenrv.com/class-c-motor...oss-trail/20XG

Noteable about it:
The rear bed is on a lift. Thus when used as a bed its lower and eaiser to get into, but when driving you can lift it to store stuff below it--like a bicycle.
Edit: Hmm can you sleep on the bed in the raised position? Have a bike in it but an overnight stop at a rest area....

No generator, instead there is a 3kW inverter (and Li-Ion option).

Also note: No slides.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Old 12-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yes, very cool idea, but has a few critical flaws in my opinion compared to EKKO.

Coachmen had to change name which was CrossTrek before (trademark — name used already?). We discussed on this thread when it came out much before Winnebago EKKO.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...age-18128.html

The “new” rear bed can be slept on at higher elevation — with same problem as when it was permanently high before.

The CrossTrek (now CrossTrail) was initially very affordable (low cost) but now price is way up with EcoBoost engine and AWD on most units (before naturally aspirated V6 and RWD). I think that’s still an option though from Coachmen.

Both units are great in their own way, but quite different from each other. I personally prefer the EKKO twin rear beds with separate bike garage. And though EKKO has longitudinal twin beds like your Axis 24.1, the overall length is shorter than the CrossTrail if I recall correctly.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #4

THOR #2121
I know there is a market out there for smaller Class C (B+). The new to US (they have been popular in Europe for some time) smaller units that are the same footprint and also low profile of van campers should be roomier than vans and less expensive to build.

For people wanting to go places that traditional motorhomes just can’t reach. Picture below is on ProMaster/Ducato chassis, but I prefer on an E-350 SRW with over 8,000-pound towing capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62F4D257-7CCD-4067-AFB7-E1EABE843B8D.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	35382  
Old 12-30-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
This is an interesting non-Thor coach: The Coachmen Cross Trail 20XG:

https://coachmenrv.com/class-c-motor...oss-trail/20XG

Noteable about it:
The rear bed is on a lift. Thus when used as a bed its lower and eaiser to get into, but when driving you can lift it to store stuff below it--like a bicycle.
Edit: Hmm can you sleep on the bed in the raised position? Have a bike in it but an overnight stop at a rest area....

No generator, instead there is a 3kW inverter (and Li-Ion option).

Also note: No slides.

Jamie, went back and watched video. Nate (Cross Trail product manager I met at Tampa SuperShow a couple of years ago) states in video the bed is rated at 800 pounds and can be slept in at any elevation.

The other major difference at rear is that under-bed garage is now open to inside of motorhome. That has pros and cons in my opinion. A real advantage is that I could place a mattress on garage floor and turn the back area into large bunk beds, with lower bed accessible from inside and with air conditioning/heat. The lower level would also make great place for dogs to sleep at night or rest out of the way during day. A downside is that if hauling motorcycles, ATV or generator, gas fumes (smell) may get into RV much easier.

The floorplan you posted seems to be the original with 2-person dinette width of 25 inches (they still haven’t updated website). However, printed brochure shows a 37-inch-wide 4-person dinette that matches all the new photos from different dealers. The center aisle may be 12 inches narrower now, but at least two people can face TV at same time. The wider dinette was a necessary evil, and great improvement IMO.

Starting price compared to Winnebago EKKO is much much lower; and even with EcoBoost and AWD, the MSRP listed by MHSRV is about $50,000 lower than EKKO’s MSRP. The lithium package adds about $9,000. MSHRV states the lithium package is 800 Ah, but video above said 2 X 320 Ah Lithionics batteries for total of 640 Ah. Those are high-end batteries.

One advantage I like about the Cross Trail versus EKKO is that floor is pretty much level between cab and coach. The EKKO requires sitting on thick cushions when using cab seats if wanting to use dinette table.

As mentioned before, the EKKO is listed at 23-feet long whereas the Cross Trail is 24’-1”. That extra length buys Cross Trail a full dinette (versus EKKO half dinette) and separate shower (versus semi-wet bath in EKKO), but the EKKO seems to have larger kitchen and rear twin beds are a million times easier to get into.

For what it is worth, Nate mentions in video that the extreme Cross Trail they are looking at has 2,200-pound OCCC. That’s impressive given added weight for off-road package. Still, weight must be around 8,800 pounds since GVWR is 11,000 pounds.

Below is new floor plan showing wider dinette and squared-off pantry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D077E2C1-AA12-4C16-9E09-49AC7291486A.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	35396   Click image for larger version

Name:	C805F726-8DA1-4215-B734-6D89CE5C55D7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	35397  

Old 12-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Jamie, went back and watched video. Nate (Cross Trail product manager I met at Tampa SuperShow a couple of years ago) states in video the bed is rated at 800 pounds and can be slept in at any elevation.

The other major difference at rear is that under-bed garage is now open to inside of motorhome. That has pros and cons in my opinion. A real advantage is that I could place a mattress on garage floor and turn the back area into large bunk beds, with lower bed accessible from inside and with air conditioning/heat. The lower level would also make great place for dogs to sleep at night or rest out of the way during day. A downside is that if hauling motorcycles, ATV or generator, gas fumes (smell) may get into RV much easier.

The floorplan you posted seems to be the original with 2-person dinette width of 25 inches (they still haven’t updated website). However, printed brochure shows a 37-inch-wide 4-person dinette that matches all the new photos from different dealers. The center aisle may be 12 inches narrower now, but at least two people can face TV at same time. The wider dinette was a necessary evil, and great improvement IMO.

Starting price compared to Winnebago EKKO is much much lower; and even with EcoBoost and AWD, the MSRP listed by MHSRV is about $50,000 lower than EKKO’s MSRP. The lithium package adds about $9,000. MSHRV states the lithium package is 800 Ah, but video above said 2 X 320 Ah Lithionics batteries for total of 640 Ah. Those are high-end batteries.

One advantage I like about the Cross Trail versus EKKO is that floor is pretty much level between cab and coach. The EKKO requires sitting on thick cushions when using cab seats if wanting to use dinette table.

As mentioned before, the EKKO is listed at 23-feet long whereas the Cross Trail is 24’-1”. That extra length buys Cross Trail a full dinette (versus EKKO half dinette) and separate shower (versus semi-wet bath in EKKO), but the EKKO seems to have larger kitchen and rear twin beds are a million times easier to get into.

For what it is worth, Nate mentions in video that the extreme Cross Trail they are looking at has 2,200-pound OCCC. That’s impressive given added weight for off-road package. Still, weight must be around 8,800 pounds since GVWR is 11,000 pounds.

Below is new floor plan showing wider dinette and squared-off pantry.
Yeah I had also noticed the 800lbs and usage in any position of the bed.

Didn't notice the wider dinette interesting.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:36 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah I had also noticed the 800lbs and usage in any position of the bed.

Didn't notice the wider dinette interesting.

A dinette that size in an Axis 24.1 would eliminate need for slide and would also allow for a larger conventional bathroom layout (similar to that of 25.2 floor plan except 24X36 versus 30X36 shower).

To this day I still don’t agree with Thor not offering a non-slide Axis/Vegas floor plan.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:40 PM   #8

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
I guess it would be an OK floor plan for a single person. The bed is to small for two and you would have to climb over top of each other....at least the one in the very back.