Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Watching Matthew

After completing our summer visits up north it is time to head home to Florida. We are slowing our progress in order to see what exact track Hurricane Matthew takes. Might know more by Monday afternoon.

Anyone else planning on hitting the sunshine state around Wednesday or Thursday?

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Model: FE22 (traded)
State: North Carolina
THOR #4681
Not heading to Fl. but watching the storm just the same.We live close enough to the coast here in NC that we usually will get hit pretty hard if the darn thing skirts the coast, going to make sure that we have the MH gassed and watered up. I like the latest European storms track models saying that it will be pushed more to the east for sure. I can't leave for the west because my job prevents it... CANNOT WAIT FOR RETIREMENT Hope we all get spared.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I may be leaving the Sunshine state by Tuesday or Wednesday. My yard is only about 6' above sea level. And there is nothing between me and the ocean. Hope your easterly push is correct. Latest advisory (1100) has it meandering west but supposed to head north this afternoon. Never really know with these darn things.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
After completing our summer visits up north it is time to head home to Florida. We are slowing our progress in order to see what exact track Hurricane Matthew takes. Might know more by Monday afternoon.

Anyone else planning on hitting the sunshine state around Wednesday or Thursday?
Just got back to south Florida at noon today -- haven't seen latest weather reports yet. I know, screwed up priorities!

If it looks like it's coming our way I may just load up my parents and head back to Texas before it gets here. Provided roads don't become a parking lot.

Last time that happened to us years ago we were visiting family in south Florida and were pulling a small camping trailer. The Florida Turnpike was a mess -- took forever to get to I-10 and getting gasoline was a very slow process. It was OK but a stressful drive. Had it not been for fear of the trailer getting damaged we probably would have stayed through storm.

If anyone is thinking of leaving, they should do it as early as possible. It's a tough call though, particularly if having to travel with very old people who feel more comfortable and safe at home.

Please keep us posted. I'll also take a look at weather channel.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Just arrived in FL Thurs evening... Watching the weather.
We are in central FL - Lake County - an hour from either coast so at least storm surge isn't an issue - but expect we can still get quite a bit of wind and rain depending on its track...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Just arrived in FL Thurs evening... Watching the weather.
We are in central FL - Lake County - an hour from either coast so at least storm surge isn't an issue - but expect we can still get quite a bit of wind and rain depending on its track...
The Orlando forecast this AM showed all the projected tracks well out to sea, and just 30% chance of rain on Thursday and 10% on Friday for central Florida.

It appears that everyone's travel plans are safe, except for some heavy rains tonight around Sarasota.

Looks good for our Vegas/Axis/Thor gathering at Lake Grifffin State Park this weekend!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:

Hey Joe-FL, not heading to Florida, we live here on the NC coast and have started preparing for it today. Be careful its large and strong!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #8

THOR #5246
We will probably stay in Alabama Monday night and check the track and reports on Matthew again then. When we left the house a couple months ago we put all the hurricane shutters down so we don't need to rush home for anything. Everything I am reading tonight (Sunday) looks like Florida may get rain from Matthew late Wednesday or Thursday only.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #9

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
The Orlando forecast this AM showed all the projected tracks well out to sea, and just 30% chance of rain on Thursday and 10% on Friday for central Florida.

It appears that everyone's travel plans are safe, except for some heavy rains tonight around Sarasota.

Looks good for our Vegas/Axis/Thor gathering at Lake Grifffin State Park this weekend!
Everyone should get on their computers and look up the latest information on this hurricane before continuing into Florida this week. As of Tuesday morning the suspected track has shifted in toward the Florida coast, but that could change for the better or worse in the next 24 hours. Just because you may be in the center portion of the state on Thursday you still may experience 60 mph sustained winds.

Based on the latest information this morning we are staying up in Alabama. Maybe Matthew will shift back to the east and spare Florida but as of this morning it doesn't look like it.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

THOR #1765
I agree. It's too early to call. How running over Haiti and the eastern tip of Cuba affects the track may give us better information. I have seen them jog either east or west and the steering currents are very complex. It's forward speed may determine if it gets past southern Florida. North of central Florida is still "up for grabs". I watched Andrew take a left jog at the last minute and hit much further south than we originally believed. The computer models have much improved since 1992, but these beasts are still unpredictable. My RV is ready to move. The problem in the Keys is that there is little place to run - unless you start really early.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #2162
Luckily we are heading to N Ga. on Wednesday, moving out if Matthew's way! Spending the weekend in the mountains, we'll do clean up when we get back...
ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
Well we are in NE Fl so we have a little more time to figure out what is happening then those south of us. If it changes current plans and moves closer to the coast we may head west for several hundred miles.
Waiting and watching is our current plan, but ready to move if needed!!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #13

THOR #5246
Oneilkeys, funny you should mention hurricane Andrew. We are camped next to a couple that just told me the same thing about Andrew. Because of a late turn they didn't even have time to get their 5th wheel loaded and get out of harms way, they ended up just taking the car up into Georgia and staying in a motel.

I got into Punta Gorda right after Charlie to help my elderly mother who lost everything. 500 miles is about the right distance away from any hurricane for me right now.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #14

THOR #2121
I filled up my van last night on way back from installing hurricane panels on a family member's house, and the gas station had quite a few people filling up their generator gas containers. No doubt some people in south Florida (Palm Beach County) are getting ready just in case. If I had an option I'd stay away too -- they can be an adventure but not the kind I enjoy.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #15

THOR #1765
Quote:
Oneilkeys, funny you should mention hurricane Andrew. We are camped next to a couple that just told me the same thing about Andrew. Because of a late turn they didn't even have time to get their 5th wheel loaded and get out of harms way, they ended up just taking the car up into Georgia and staying in a motel.

I got into Punta Gorda right after Charlie to help my elderly mother who lost everything. 500 miles is about the right distance away from any hurricane for me right now.
In 1992 we evacuated from the Keys to the north eye wall of Hurricane Andrew. Luckily I was still on active duty and had my own concrete command post built to withstand an indirect nuclear blast. We needed it. Everything around us was totally destroyed along with the two cars we brought from Key Largo. At our house in the Keys we did not lose a coconut. You never can tell with these things.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #16

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

I hope anyone that was being encouraged to continue their travels toward Orlando this weekend has realized the danger. Forecast calls for up to 70mph winds in the greater Orlando area. Matthew may stay "out to sea" but as long as it stays at Cat#4 or #5 that doesn't matter when it is that close to the coast.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL
Matthew may stay "out to sea"
Not according to this morning's tracks the Weather Channel was showing. Looks like the eye is going to ride right along the beaches. They were even saying that Orlando might see some significant winds.

Stay safe my FL friends.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Yeah, Mathew is coming a little too close for comfort. The eye should stay east of Palm Beach County but you never know with these things. It has gotten stronger again, so we need to respect its power.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #19

THOR #5246
It is looking like SW Florida will be spared, but our east coast neighbors are in trouble I'm afraid. Thoughts are with those residents and the first responders who have to stay behind.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #20

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You gotta respect Mother Nature. Sadly, people will die who ignore the desperate warnings to evacuate ahead of this storm, that the officials are saying will be Florida's Katrina.

Here in the middle of the state, north of Orlando, the current forecasts are for winds from 40-75 mph and bands of heavy winds. There is going to be a lot off heartache for a lot of folks.

Folks in my neighborhood are hunkered down, as are we. This is going to be one for the history books.