Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Inverter

As I've mentioned I'm looking to buy my first MH. While touring the Thor Axis yesterday at CW I asked the sales rep about installing an inverter and of course the cost of doing so. The reaction I got from both the sales rep and the service rep was "Why do you want an inverter, the Axis has a generator?"
I must admit this question caught me a little off guard. I wouldn't think an inverter would be a common addition to a MH as many makers include them as standard equipment.
CW was never able to give me an answer. For those of you who have installed inverters in their Axis/Vegas, where did you put them and what would I be looking at in terms of cost?
I plan to install a 2000w inverter as this seems to be a popular size for running coffee maker, microwaves and etc.
Thanks

Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Its personal preference... no right or wrong answer..

I've carried a small plug in inverter for years - can't remember the last time I used it.
The majority of the MH runs on 12v...
The microwave/AC/and plug ins like coffee maker as you said are about the only things I can't run on 12v... (I installed a 12v TV/BluRay player too and a couple of 12v fans.)

In rare cases I didn't have shore power - I run the generator long enough to make DW her coffee - or run the micro...
The inverter isn't going to power the AC - so need the genny for that anyway.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Axis/Vegas Mods...1,2,3 Go. - Page 44 - Thor Forums

This is a post I did some time ago on the two small inverters I installed in my 2014,Vegas and 2016 Axis.

They are not large enough to run the microwave, but as gmc says, when you want to do that, you turn on your generator. Small inverter is good for running your laptop or TV or other small appliance.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:11 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We have a small, 1200 watt inverter mounted on the wall near the passenger seat on our Vegas 25.2. It is just off the floor and forward of the bed apparatus when it is lowered. From there, the wires go straight down thru the floor into the storage cabinet, then back thru the left side of the cabinet directly to the coach battery.

The main use is for us is running a small fan overnight when parked without an A/C hookup. We have also used it to run a crock pot so dinner can cook while we go down the road.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:56 AM   #5

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
We looked long and hard at the Axis/Vegas but ended up with the ACE for a variety of reasons. The extras like built-in inverter and levelers were part of the reason, but mostly the extra room and larger chassis. Since you haven't purchased yet, you may want to give the ACE a look.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

THOR #1765
This is not to knock the ACE, it is a very nice RV and we came close to purchasing one last February - but we bought another Axis instead. From a first time owners perspective you need to drive both and decide what you need in an RV and how you are going to use it. If you are used to driving large vehicles and you do most of your RVing in KOA type RV Parks and you don't mind towing a vehicle, then the extra size and room of the ACE makes sense to me. I went to the Tampa RV show last year with a check in my pocket ready to upgrade from our 25' Vegas to something in the 27-30' range. We looked at every manufacturer and model out there and I could not convince my wife nor myself that we needed or wanted an F-53 chassis over the E-450. So we bought a new Axis. In 2015 we drove from Florida to Alaska and lived in the Vegas for 4 months. You would think that we would want the extra room in the F-53. It's not the size that bothers me, I drove large trucks while in the USAF. But we like to camp in National Forests and National Parks and in our two month trip out west last summer we would not have fit a 30', F-53 chassis in the campgrounds we we in. In addition, we find the E-450 small enough that we do not need to tow. So there are lots of thing to think about before you buy. There is no right answer and the ACE may be best for you. I have always believed that the smallest boat or RV that meets your need is the best. My wife reminded me of that last February. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

THOR #5953
I hear ya and went through the same process ourselves. It was a close call between the 24.1 and 29.3 but we felt we'd need the larger space the ACE would afford, since we are planning some long extended trips away. We may end up downsizing back into the Axis/Vegas after we've had our fun, and don't need to drag a dingy along.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn57
don't need to drag a dingy along.
The Axis/Vegas units are more than capable of dragging a dingy along (same engine, less camper).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #9

THOR #5953
True enough. It's more of "want to" vs "have to" for us when considering 24.1 vs 29.3.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Your right Jamie. But I felt that with the ACE I would have to tow and with the Axis/Vegas I do not. That may not be true and I might find that in time I would be as comfortable finding a place to put the 30' as I am with the Axis. A lot of this is just in your own head. It is what you, individually are comfortable with. I spent a lot of years in the sail boating community and I can't tell you the number times one of my sailing buddies bought that "bigger boat" that we all want and then never left the dock because he was not comfortable sailing it. I feel like I can take my Axis just about anywhere and I do. I got some real stares on back roads in Alaska and northern Canada - what is this idiot doing out here with that!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
not an axis/vegas, but
I've considered trying to find an inverter to install without spending too much.

I really only need it for one thing..... coffee

I'd love to be able to fire up my Keurig for that 1st cup of the day instead of my genny. I'm an early riser and feel bad disturbing my family. Have even been a few places dry camping too, with others in a CG where I surely didn't want to run it.

I've considered even installing it near my converter so that i could wire to existing outlets, but that would make a long run to the battery....and i'm guessing the existing wiring between the converter and battery isn't nearly big enough. Suppose I'd have to mount it close to the battery, and then either to a dedicated outlet, or run high voltage back to the converter....
Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #12

THOR #1765
You can buy a small, independent one (enough watts for your coffee maker) and plug your coffee maker into it directly or use a short good extension cord. Put it as close to the batteries as possible and use a large enough wire and it will be fine. From the web, it looks like a Keurig coffee maker takes about 1500 watts to run. Amazon has 1500 watt inverters for about $80-150 plus the wires and I would put in a fuse with direct wiring to the battery.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
... I've considered even installing it near my converter so that i could wire to existing outlets, but that would make a long run to the battery....and i'm guessing the existing wiring between the converter and battery isn't nearly big enough. Suppose I'd have to mount it close to the battery, and then either to a dedicated outlet, or run high voltage back to the converter....
You want the 12v DC wiring as short as possible - run the 110 AC longer if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
You can buy a small, independent one (enough watts for your coffee maker) and plug your coffee maker into it directly or use a short good extension cord. Put it as close to the batteries as possible and use a large enough wire and it will be fine. From the web, it looks like a Keurig coffee maker takes about 1500 watts to run. Amazon has 1500 watt inverters for about $80-150 plus the wires and I would put in a fuse with direct wiring to the battery.
If you are just looking to power a coffee maker - this is the way I would go... Run some heavy wire from batteries into the coach to connect the inverter (not sure where the batteries are on your 31L) - and plug in the coffee maker as needed.
I'm a believer in not running things at their max if I can avoid it - so I would opt for a 2000 watt inverter if I needed 1500... Of course that does up the price tag a bit - but still some under $200.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:44 AM   #14

THOR #1765
Actually, the stuff I read on the web indicated that a 1000 watt inverter should be OK, but some people had trouble making that work, do I upped it to 1500 watts to be safe. 2000 watts would be even better, but 1500 should be OK. I believe the high wattage is to hear the water and the actual running of the machine after that is relatively small.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Actually, the stuff I read on the web indicated that a 1000 watt inverter should be OK, but some people had trouble making that work, do I upped it to 1500 watts to be safe. 2000 watts would be even better, but 1500 should be OK. I believe the high wattage is to hear the water and the actual running of the machine after that is relatively small.
Thinking alike... lol... I didn't know you had already 'upped it' a bit...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
The single-cup Keurig like we have pulls well over 1,000 watts, but for less than a minute. Total brewing time for mid-size cup is just over a minute, but during part of that time it pulls very little power. I checked current myself. This would explain why 1,000-watt inverters may not work reliably. There is also issue of current wave quality.

Having said that, I've read reports in other forums that there is a Keurig coffee maker that pulls less than 1,000 watts (about 700 watts if I recall correctly). I've looked for such a coffee maker but haven't found one yet. If it added 30 to 45 extra seconds to brew a cup, I'd be OK with that.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #17

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Chance let us know the model number on that Keurig if you find one. I love my Keurig!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Chance let us know the model number on that Keurig if you find one. I love my Keurig!
This may be the one some have reported, not sure. I'd have to see one in person to check power rating on tag. Then test it. It is rated at 700 watts.

In theory this coffee maker "or" a 700-watt microwave (pulls 1,000 watts) could run off 1,000 watt inverter. But since inverters have gotten cheaper, I'd probably go a little bigger anyway.

Is the Keurig B130 Deskpro Brewing System right for you?