Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Inverter purchase & install

I'm traveling in New Mexico and will be in Albuquerque for the balloon fiesta! I would like to purchase an inverter for my Axis! For those of you familiar with the area can you recommend a place to purchase an inverter and have it installed?
Thanks

Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Can't help you with installer, but can tell you that I mounted mine on my Vegas on the curb side next to the seat. It is just ahead of of the padded rail cover that comes down with the bed. The wires go straight down into the forward curbside compartment, then back through the wall to the coach batteries under the entry stairs. I use it to run a small fan and heater, crockpot, phone or computer charger. Anything I run off the inverter has to have a cord connecting it the way it is set up.

You may be looking for something that is switchable and capable of running almost everything in your coach, including the TVs. In that case, none of the above applies!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Can`t help with the inverter, but have a great at the balloon fiesta. Maybe we will see you there. We are there thursday thru sunday. Have a safe trip out.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

THOR #6203
Thanks guys for the help! I am wanting something to run TV's, gaming console, coffee maker, hair dryer and small fan. I don't think I want the microwave, but not sure!
JRS950 I will be attending the balloon fiesta the last four days. If you're there during that time I would love to meet you! Safe trip for you as well!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Thanks guys for the help! I am wanting something to run TV's, gaming console, coffee maker, hair dryer and small fan. I don't think I want the microwave, but not sure!
JRS950 I will be attending the balloon fiesta the last four days. If you're there during that time I would love to meet you! Safe trip for you as well!
The simplest case for an inverter is the plug in kind Mr. Sunshine uses - and just power what you want at the time... Usually wouldn't handle a microwave - and likely not a hair dryer.

Next is powering a single circuit in the RV - run the output of the circuit breaker - and the 12v supply to the inverter - and connect what was the output of circuit breaker to the output of the inverter...

You've blown past both of those - and are looking to power multiple circuits in the RV... typically a hardwired installation that requires a subpanel - and a substantial transfer switch in the inverter to handle the normal pass through load.

Let's step back and look at what you want to power - and be sure it is reasonable to you... and yes - I've rounded some of the numbers below... but all based on Watts = Volts * Amps...

Typically the microwave is on its own circuit - the coffee maker in the kitchen and hair dryer in bathroom are likely both on the GFCI circuit, and the TV's are likely on a third circuit...
Powering all together (well - likely the hair dryer and coffee maker couldn't be on at the same time - would likely blow the 15A breaker - so just one of those) - would need to provide upwards of 30A... or over 3000 watts.
(Figuring the microwave in the 10-12A range - hair dryer or coffee maker the same - and <5 for TV, gaming consoles, etc... Plug in actual usage numbers from your appliances)
This would draw over 250A from your 12V batteries...

Reducing to one major load - either microwave, hairdryer, or coffee maker - would reduce need to closer to 15A or 1500 watts - still 125A draw on 12v batteries...

None of the large appliances here are on long term - so a normal load of less than 5amps may be more the norm... around 500 watts... or 41amps from 12v batteries.

The above numbers just to give you an idea of both the inverter size AND the battery capacity you will need (batteries should not be drained below 50% normally as a general rule to extend their life) - and what method/how frequently you will need to recharge (via shore power, genny, solar, etc).

Some of the smaller devices (some TVs, fans) may run more efficiently off 12v directly... (if they have a 'brick' that converts 110 back to 12v.. - or just a 12V powered fan...) rather than the overhead and loss converting 12v DC to 110v AC to take it back to 12v DC.

Can be a significant expense if a battery upgrade, and charging methods are included... Anything is doable with suitable application of funds.

Decide what you really want/need... and we can figure the alternatives to get there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
We will be at the Fiesta the same time as what you will be there. Should arrive mid afternoon Thursday. I'll PM my phone.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

THOR #6203
gmc
I believe I could use the same circuit/outlet for the hair dryer, coffee maker and fan. So that wouldn't require me to run wire to the opposite side of the MH.
Would the tv, HDMI switcher and gaming console need to be on a separate circuit from the one above? I use my computer often to mirror movies onto the tv so other than that I can't imagine a time when more than the tv, HDMI switcher and computer or gaming console would be used at the same time! Maybe tv and coffee maker in the morning??
I'm thinking a 1500 watt inverter with a automatic transfer switch is what I would need. Would I require more than the two house batteries to power that?
I now use the generator to keep the house batteries charged when dry camping, but I honestly cannot stand the noise it makes. That's the real reason for purchasing the inverter. That and not being able to have coffee earlier in the mornings than some campground genny restrictions allow!
I plan to purchase a 100 watt suitcase solar system to help keep the house batteries charged!