Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Jack Pads

I have been seeing a lot about Snap Pads for motorhome jacks. I don't understand the need unless your in a grass or sand area. Is there a benefit even on concrete or asphalt ?
ww.rvsnappad.com

Old 07-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I have been seeing a lot about Snap Pads for motorhome jacks. I don't understand the need unless your in a grass or sand area. Is there a benefit even on concrete or asphalt ?
ww.rvsnappad.com
I'm a newbie and haven't heard of these, but after watching the install video they look like a nice thing to have. But at $200 a set, I am ok with sliding a pad under the jacks for now. It also doesn't appear they have a model for my Thor Challenger with Lippert leveling jacks yet.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Bare metal jack pads can crack concrete and indent asphalt on a hot day. Some RV parks require pads for leveling jacks.

I also balked at the price of SnapPads. So I went to my local tractor supply and bought small stall mat for $20 on sale ($25 normal price). I cut four 12" diameter circles out of it with a jigsaw, used some 1/2" plywood I had laying around and did the same thing. Cut a circle out of the center of the plywood circles that would clear the jack cylinders and bolts at the top of the travel, added s slot so I could slide the plywood in place. Painted the plywood black, and used four 1/4" stainless carriage bolts per pad with fender washers and nylock nuts on the plywood side (Round carriage bolt heads on the bottom of the rubber pads) and snugged it up. Now I have 4 rubber tennis shoes on my leveling jacks for a whole lot less than SnapPad wanted.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
ww.rvsnappad.com
Never had them and never needed them. I have some short pieces of 2X8 that I carry for soft ground. As far as cracking concrete asphalt; yes it could happen but I have mine up regularly in 110+ temperatures both at home and the storage facility and have never had it happen. I've always looked at these as one of those great inventions that got someone rich but are really not needed, but each to their own.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
There are two places where you might need them.
  1. Asphalt site on a hot day. Your jacks can sink into the asphalt. Some RV camps with asphalt require pads.
  2. Sandy muddy spot where the jacks can sink in.

I found a sheet of 5-ply 3/4" plywood in my friend's back yard and traded him a beer for it. Then I cut 4 1-foot squares and keep them in a basement if required.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Snap Pads are real convenient for muddy sites, in rain, and after dark set up

Quote:
ww.rvsnappad.com
There are a few threads on this. Snap Pads provide a real convenience, as you no longer need to get out and place pads to go under the jacks, they are always there. After a few times getting to campsites in the dark, or rain, or in the mud after a rain and having to set jack pads down you can appreciate the convenience of not having to that again. Makes not only set up but also tear down faster and easier. I gave my DH a set for Christmas and we have used them over 6 months now and they work great.
Got them on sale at the Snap Pad website--look for a code. Or just leave it in your cart and go away. You will receive a coupon for an additional 10% off via email.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
I saw these for $15 ea.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1963.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	6102
Old 07-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Personally I think they are worth every penny, install once and done! In the past I've had to get out in the rain to put down jack pads in the rain because of grass and soft terrain, the jacks put a lot of pressure in a very small area, with the pads in place your jacks have roughly a 62% bigger footprint. Many newer campgrounds require pads under jacks to prevent damage to their pads. We park in our driveway which is large, prior to putting on the pads I could see marks from the jacks, not now.

To each his own, but again, personally I like them because I don't have to carry pads anymore or crawl under the coach. Would I buy the again, absolutely!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
I agree with SuperD, worth every penny to no longer need to place boards or blocks under the rig, especially when raining, soft ground or on gravel.

@ Mike in AZ - we have a 2017 Challenger and the SnapPad Xtra are great. The cost is $94.95 for a four pack with free shipping. (104.95 less current $10 discount code: RVLIFE)

https://rvsnappad.com/collections/snappad
Old 07-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I also agree that Snap Pads are worth the money. No more getting out in the rain to level plus they work on asphalt, so when overnighting they can be used without much effort or notice.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #11

THOR #5196
One more thing, you don't have to put them away, just retract the jacks and you're done! More than once I've seen jack pads left at a campsite because someone forgot to store them.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
They don't seem much bigger than the regular pads. Are these ok to use on hot asphalt when an RV site requires it? I assumed they were looking to have you spread the load more than these appear to do.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #13

State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
One more thing, you don't have to put them away, just retract the jacks and you're done! More than once I've seen jack pads left at a campsite because someone forgot to store them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
They don't seem much bigger than the regular pads. Are these ok to use on hot asphalt when an RV site requires it? I assumed they were looking to have you spread the load more than these appear to do.
According to the manufacturer, they add about 60 percent in area to the standard pads when used. In our case, they just barely make contact with the mud flaps when retracted, so they are adding some surface area, and a rubber pad (as opposed to wood or other materials) made from recycled tires.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #14

THOR #5196
When I installed my pads I turned them so the flat was parallel to the mud flaps. The pads are made from recycled tires and hot asphalt won't have any effect on them.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:44 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I installed the Snap Pads the day I picked up coach and haven't regretted it once. They were easy to install and once on they are there forever unless you cut them off. They provide additional stability on any type of surface and a lot of RV parks are requiring you to have some type of pad under your jacks now. I'm getting too old to climb underneath every time I setup. Bottom line, it's worth the $200.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 AM   #16

THOR #7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
There are two places where you might need them.
  1. Asphalt site on a hot day. Your jacks can sink into the asphalt. Some RV camps with asphalt require pads.
  2. Sandy muddy spot where the jacks can sink in.

I found a sheet of 5-ply 3/4" plywood in my friend's back yard and traded him a beer for it. Then I cut 4 1-foot squares and keep them in a basement if required.
This is exactly what I did super simple and cheap but actually went to Lowe's for the lumber...even had them cut it for me
Old 07-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #17

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird_in_SC View Post
I agree with SuperD, worth every penny to no longer need to place boards or blocks under the rig, especially when raining, soft ground or on gravel.

@ Mike in AZ - we have a 2017 Challenger and the SnapPad Xtra are great. The cost is $94.95 for a four pack with free shipping. (104.95 less current $10 discount code: RVLIFE)

https://rvsnappad.com/collections/snappad
Thanks Jbird, I just placed my order. Appreciate the discount code too!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #18

THOR #5196
Mike, and anybody else installing Snap Pads, the pads are much easier to install if you have a helper. I got my wife to run the jacks, put our phones on speaker so we could communicate. One at a time put the pad on the ground with a flat edge parallel to the mud flap for clearance. Have your helper put jacks manual and lower pad until it is just above the pad and stop, center the pad and lower jack until pad snaps on, repeat for other jacks. Super easy, takes about ten minutes for all of them.

You'll be happy with your choice!
Old 07-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #19

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
They're not and the claim they add 60% surface area is highly questionable but they will save you if your hit by lightning.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #20

THOR #7863
Thanks Dave, that's how their video shows also. Looks easy enough even for me!