Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #7435
extended warranty

If I buy a used class A Thor from a dealer and get an extended warranty from xyz company can I still deal with Thor directly or do I have to go through XYZ exclusively?

Old 05-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Most extended warranties come with instructions on how to use the extended warranty.

Typically you have to get the repairs cleared by the warranty company as they are the ones paying for them (not Thor). Usually you don't involve Thor at all--unless you are having them do the repairs.

During the first year (Thor's manufacturer warranty) you don't use the extended warranty at all. A good negotiating tactic is to forgo the warranty at first and use that first year to research what warranty you want and then purchase one (if you decided to do so) shortly before the 1 year is up. This way you aren't forced into the one your dealer is trying to sell you (at a pretty decent profit for them).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
For the first year you have to go through Thor after that the extended warranty kicks in...at least that's how it was explained to me. Now that is for the "house". You should also have a warranty from Ford (I'm guessing) for the chassis (engine, transmission, etc.) that is usually good for longer maybe three years just check you paperwork. Others might know better but this is what I've been told
Old 05-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ah you said "used class A": Thus there probably won't be any factory warranty left on that.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
If I buy a used class A Thor from a dealer and get an extended warranty from xyz company can I still deal with Thor directly or do I have to go through XYZ exclusively?
You go thru a dealer / service center that will deal with XYZ exclusively...

While under warranty, Thor has been known to send parts to owners to repair themselves.

XYZ company won't do that (in my experience) with an extended service plan. You will need to have a shop (typically of your choosing) write up the issues - get authorization from XYZ to approve the repairs - and then fix it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

State: Maryland
THOR #7316
THOR definitely sends parts. . .
Today they sent me a new seal for one of the storage doors and a few weeks ago they sent me a new on/off switch and a new Battery Disconnect Relay/Solenoid. Easy as 1,2, 3, call them ask for the part, ask them to ship it. They've been very helpful and are happy to have customers do the work.

I'm willing to bet it saves them since they don't have to pay for the labor. For small jobs, this is the route I prefer because it gets me into the coach to learn about it and it also assures me the repairs are done right the first time.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpo1920 View Post
THOR definitely sends parts. . .
Today they sent me a new seal for one of the storage doors and a few weeks ago they sent me a new on/off switch and a new Battery Disconnect Relay/Solenoid. Easy as 1,2, 3, call them ask for the part, ask them to ship it. They've been very helpful and are happy to have customers do the work.

I'm willing to bet it saves them since they don't have to pay for the labor. For small jobs, this is the route I prefer because it gets me into the coach to learn about it and it also assures me the repairs are done right the first time.
Yep - that works when under the FACTORY WARRANTY - Enjoy it while you can... It is not done by Extended Service Plans - these are not thru Thor...

The extended plan companies could save as well by having us do our own labor - but the ones I have dealt with insist on dealer or service location inspecting, writing it up, getting approval, and doing the work.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

State: Maryland
THOR #7316
Good Point -

I'm not sold on the extended warranties yet. I opted to wait until the one year is out to see how things go with THOR. The thing is, most of the extended warranties that I have looked at don't cover routine things such as seals and some of them don't cover major issues like water intrusion. No sense in paying 2000 dollars for a warranty to cover a 59.00 water pump that can be swapped out in an afternoon w/ a couple beers and a few "F#$&" bombs. Not too many things on the RV's are rocket science and w/ the FORUMs and YOUTUBE there probably isn't anything someone who is half-handy can't knock out. $2k is a lot of money to drop on what might happen.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
The value (or lack of value) of extended warranties has been discussed on this and other RV forums. You'll find a range of opinions. Some have benefited from them. Personally, with the exclusions and the deductibles, I wouldn't buy an extended warranty. In 25+ years of RVing, I only had a contract on one RV, and am way ahead moneywise by forgoing that expense.

Some dealers push them hard. Do you suppose that's because they get about half of your first year cost as commission? Do you think the companies would offer them if they weren't profitable to them?