Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Jensen radio / Sirius/GPS

I have a Jensen radio in my 2015 Marimar and trying to get Sirius radio to work on it. Is this possible. If so how.
Has anyone switched one of these out for a unit with gps and Sirius. If si which one?

Old 01-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Which Jensen radio? The 212 or the 215? (The 215 has nav and bluetooth)

I'm guessing you have the 212 (surprising for a 2015 coach) since you asked about gps.

I switched my 212 out for the 215 (but even now the 215 is discontinued I believe): http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html

That will only get you gps/nav and bluetooth. With bluetooth, however, you can use the SiriusXM smartphone app in a pinch (of course this wouldn't work in the boonies without cell signal though).

Others have put even nicer radios in (like the Pioneer's).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
A lot of discussion on this - use search function. Short answer is NO on XM radio - an adaptor is needed which is obsolete and expensive if you can find it. Better to get XM radio car kit and put it into radio thru aux input or antenna adaptor. No first hand knowledge on GPS , bet would look at running on computer or cell phone and putting image into radio.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
On the GPS, they upgrade and change so quickly, that I have always purchased a separate unit like the Garmin 760 built specifically for RVs. That way, when the new improved models come out you can easily (and usually way more cheaply) purchase a new one. Many people like to run with the GPS on their smart phones, but that takes data and we always seem to be out of cell phone range a good part of our trips.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
Agree-we run a Garmin in the motor home also. But I also use WAZE , which is internet based , and I don't think I've ever had issues with losing cell signal ( but we travel in pretty civilized areas...😊 ) . WAZE Is interactive with other drivers, which provides good real time info around traffic, accidents, etc. But is dos take a lot of data....
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
I have the 215, warranty replacement for the 212 that died. IMHO GPS is a piece of junk. I use the GARMIN RV760LMT, no major complaints.

As far as SiriusXM, I purchased an ONYXPlus, activated it, and run its output to the AUX1in jack on the 215. Works like a charm.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
On the GPS, they upgrade and change so quickly, that I have always purchased a separate unit like the Garmin 760 built specifically for RVs. That way, when the new improved models come out you can easily (and usually way more cheaply) purchase a new one. Many people like to run with the GPS on their smart phones, but that takes data and we always seem to be out of cell phone range a good part of our trips.
The newer model Garmins come with free life-time map updates. I update my unit before each trip...no need to ever replace unless I break it.

And for Sirius, I have a Stiletto portable satellite radio that I move from vehicle to vehicle. I pay for only one subscription, but have service in all of my vehicles...GMC Acadia daily driver, Vegas motor home, and Corvette man toy.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have gps on your phone you can use a USB cable and display on your radio. Personally I use a Garmin 660, the replacement for the 760, for my gps needs, I like to keep the rear camera display on while on the road.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #9

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
It's a 212t I crossed over to your other post and got a lot of the info I need I guess. One of the buttons on the right side says Sirius so when I bought it I thought it was on
Rather disappointed. I can't believe how many little things I found on this MH that I thought was pretty classy when I bought it that are cheaper than they should be. I think you would have to look hard in a car or truck 2015 that would have that shitty of a radio. Sorry about the rant!!