Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Just how long is a 25.2 with the slide extended?

Inquiring minds want to know! And so did I. It's important to know for reservations at many state parks. Last fall, we almost were thrown out of a SP site that I had registered as 26'. I had reserved before delivery, and hadn't considered that the spec 26.5 didn't include the additional slide length.

No precision here, but extended, our 2016 Vegas 25.2 measures just over 29'. The slide extends 32", but you shouldn't add that to the coach length because of the bumper. I didn't allow for the rear slide awning either, so a precise measurement would add a few inches.

We are prepping for a few days near the beach, north of Daytona. Wish you all could join us!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Thanks Mr. S!

I have been using the est. of 28 feet. Now I know 29 is better.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I'm surprised they count the rear slide in your total length. What do they do about side slides?

This just confirms my wanting your 25.2 motorhome with the 24.1's rear Twin/King beds. I measured the bedroom length difference and it's only 1 foot, bringing the total to 27.5 feet.

And as I posted recently in another thread, Fleetwood made a very similar motorhome floorplan that was only 27-feet long. Only real difference was it was on F53 chassis which appears to save a little length compared to E-Series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1909  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #4

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Inquiring minds want to know! And so did I. It's important to know for reservations at many state parks. Last fall, we almost were thrown out of a SP site that I had registered as 26'. I had reserved before delivery, and hadn't considered that the spec 26.5 didn't include the additional slide length.

No precision here, but extended, our 2016 Vegas 25.2 measures just over 29'. The slide extends 32", but you shouldn't add that to the coach length because of the bumper. I didn't allow for the rear slide awning either, so a precise measurement would add a few inches.

We are prepping for a few days near the beach, north of Daytona. Wish you all could join us!
Are you staying at Gamble Rogers SP? That is just up the road from where we are located. Please let use know how you like the park, if it is Gamble Rogers.

Thanks;
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:46 PM   #5

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
Are you staying at Gamble Rogers SP? That is just up the road from where we are located. Please let use know how you like the park, if it is Gamble Rogers.
Yes, we'll be at Gamble Rogers, along with some other RV friends. On the river side this time. Great park but availability is always a challenge. Those beach sites often fill on the day they are released!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #6

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'm surprised they count the rear slide in your total length. What do they do about side slides?
They were kind and didn't measure. The reason we were sticking out was because it was a beach front site, and we had nosed in. Had we backed in, the slide would have extended over a short fence. Had they pushed the issue, I would have offered to turn the coach around. The extra length wasn't really a problem, and they let us stay. They suggested I use total length in future reservations. Watching the sun rise over he ocean from the driver's seat, priceless!

Many state park campgrounds were designed for tents and small trailers decades ago. They struggle with the providing for today's bigger rigs while limiting the number of campers in the park to something manageable. Of course, they tend to be eternally short on funds for campground upgrades or expansion. Gamble Rogers SP in Florida is a great example of progress. The added an entire new section away from the beach with all long sites, and a few pull-throughs. Empty sites are rare in the good months.

Yes, a few more sites are available for shorter coaches in some of these state parks. We considered Navion and Travato, among others before we discovered Vegas. The others had just too many sacrifices for us in comfort, livability and storage (and I believe no fewer problems.)

Chance, our last coach was a 2007 model with two slides on a F53 and the floorplan was somewhat similar. At 33', it had both a couch and a booth, and a chair. I am expecting the lighter bed slide on our 25.2 will be less trouble with less mass to move. For us, at this time, it's our "Goldilocks" coach, just right.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:35 AM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
They were kind and didn't measure. The reason we were sticking out was because it was a beach front site, and we had nosed in. Had we backed in, the slide would have extended over a short fence. Had they pushed the issue, I would have offered to turn the coach around. The extra length wasn't really a problem, and they let us stay. They suggested I use total length in future reservations. Watching the sun rise over he ocean from the driver's seat, priceless!

Many state park campgrounds were designed for tents and small trailers decades ago. They struggle with the providing for today's bigger rigs while limiting the number of campers in the park to something manageable. Of course, they tend to be eternally short on funds for campground upgrades or expansion. Gamble Rogers SP in Florida is a great example of progress. The added an entire new section away from the beach with all long sites, and a few pull-throughs. Empty sites are rare in the good months.

Yes, a few more sites are available for shorter coaches in some of these state parks. We considered Navion and Travato, among others before we discovered Vegas. The others had just too many sacrifices for us in comfort, livability and storage (and I believe no fewer problems.)

Chance, our last coach was a 2007 model with two slides on a F53 and the floorplan was somewhat similar. At 33', it had both a couch and a booth, and a chair. I am expecting the lighter bed slide on our 25.2 will be less trouble with less mass to move. For us, at this time, it's our "Goldilocks" coach, just right.
Thanks for heads up on Gamble Rogers State Park. We've been spending time in Florida caring for my parents, and have been looking for nearby places we may be able to take them on short trips. We want to stay close to home just in case they no longer enjoy traveling or can handle it.

Anyway, I agree the Axis/Vegas is a great size; which is why I'm disappointed that Thor doesn't make a simpler floorplan I want enough to purchase. A compact Class A in the 25- to 27-foot range would be just right for us also.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
To reserve sites at Florida State Parks, one must use ReserveAmerica. The parks website informs you of that when you go to make reservations. They will take 6 months out.
Just some FYI in case.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Being curious myself, I just went out to the RV , extended the slide and measured. Tip of the rear awning to the front bumper apex is 29 feet.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

THOR #2121
I'm also curious how many 25.2 owners would have purchased the exact same floorplan if made 29-feet long on a permanent basis?

It shouldn't affect weight or cost enough to worry about (may actually be lower), so the question is how much is having an RV +/- 2-feet shorter worth while driving it? Or storing it?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'm also curious how many 25.2 owners would have purchased the exact same floorplan if made 29-feet long on a permanent basis?

It shouldn't affect weight or cost enough to worry about (may actually be lower), so the question is how much is having an RV +/- 2-feet shorter worth while driving it? Or storing it?
Not us, we wanted a smaller footprint. But we still want adequate storage inside and out. You know that if Thor thought there was enough market demand, they would build your dream coach. Models come and go, based on demand and, of course, profits!

Compared to our previous coach, I am less concerned about the integrity of the slides on Vegas/Axis because they don't carry the weight that bigger slides have. Especially the 25.2 and 25.3, where the slide is only half the height. We had issues with both the bedroom slide and the LR slide on our Class A. We've heard plenty of nightmare stories about full wall slides.

When slide outs became popular, the value of used non-slide coaches plummeted. The top item of our want list was a walk around queen bed. The only way to get that without extra length is a slide out. On our Vegas, the slide goes out 32", so that would make a non-slide Vegas about 29'. You are back to a short F-53 Class A, or a long Class C.

Storage length isn't an issue for us, nor is it an issue at most of the campgrounds we have used, except for the rare (to us) SP with short sites. Most of the driveways we have been in were OK at 33', but wouldn't have been good had we been 40'. Our Vegas is much easier to maneuver from the street into those driveways. For us, our 25.2 is the right fit.

Your results will surely vary.