Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Just wondering

We looked at the 24 foot model of the Thor Vegas when we were last at our local RV dealer some time ago and I really liked the feeling of space that the interior gave me. My wife was concerned about the length and height of the RV (we were using a 20 foot Class B at the time) since she wanted to stick with something small and I found myself a bit concerned about the fuel economy.

The last time I owned a Class A (a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer) we averaged about 8 mpg and most of my friends who also had Class As were averaging even less, generally 4-6 mpg. I found using it with $4.50/gal gasoline a bit too expensive and so we did not buy the Vegas at that time. What I did not do (or don't remember doing) was ask other owners what the fuel economy of the small Vegas/Axis was. I did not ask the sales guy because I did not know if I could trust his figures.

The Axis/Vegas is probably lighter than the Sightseer we had, it is not as tall and I suspect that transmissions have been redesigned in the last 12 years to give better fuel economy. Can anyone tell me what kind of fuel economy they get with the 24 or 27 foot Axis/Vegas models? I would like to know so I will be prepared if and when we go back to our local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Never less than 9 never more than 10 for me on long trips.
On 200mile legs I've had 12.1 before.

We do 75 in a 75 zone.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #3

THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Never less than 9 never more than 10 for me on long trips.
On 200mile legs I've had 12.1 before.

We do 75 in a 75 zone.
Thank you.

When we are traveling we generally do 62-65 so perhaps the lower wind resistance would allow a bit higher mileage.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
I'll second that, 9-10 mpg. 6 tons, watch the tire pressure.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
With the upgrades I have added I get 12 while towing my 20 foot boat and 14 when not towing. We live in Utah where most speed limits are 75 or 80 and I go the latter. That being said I would steer away from anything made by Thor.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #6

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag8015 View Post
With the upgrades I have added I get 12 while towing my 20 foot boat and 14 when not towing. We live in Utah where most speed limits are 75 or 80 and I go the latter. That being said I would steer away from anything made by Thor.
I'd like to do your upgrades.
What have you done to change your gas mileage by so much?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind that if you get a brand new 2021 version you'll get the new V8 instead of the V10. I doubt the mileage will be much different but it may be (I would hope its better, but probably not by much).

Our experience matches everyone's above: 9-10 mpg give or take (regardless of if we're towing a car or not).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Me too. I get 7.5 pulling a 3500lb towed.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #9

THOR #5313
9 to 11 MPG 2016 Vegas 24.1 e450 chassis. This is with and without 5600 lb open racecar trailer. Absolute best recorded was 11.1 on country roads. Worst 9.25 going to disney in a hurry during shakedown.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
9 to 11 MPG 2016 Vegas 24.1 e450 chassis. This is with and without 5600 lb open racecar trailer. Absolute best recorded was 11.1 on country roads. Worst 9.25 going to disney in a hurry during shakedown.
If that's true, there's something going on here you're not sharing.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Buying these things for their gas mileage is about like buying pig crap for it's taste.
None of it is really all that good...
Old 05-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #12

THOR #13468
Quote:

I would like to know as well.

Your link works, but the link in the post at the end of that link does not work.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:59 PM   #13

THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Buying these things for their gas mileage is about like buying pig crap for it's taste.
Yes, but it is not so much buying for the gas mileage as considering that as one of many plusses or minuses. If I had the choice of 2 RVs, both of which I liked equally well, but one of which gave me significantly better mileage, it might make enough of a difference to swing my decision. Might.

For some reason none of this kind of RV seem to be offered with a diesel engine which I assume would give much better mileage. Many of the smaller Class C RVs now come standard with a diesel and supposedly get much, much better mileage. I suppose they cost much more but the operating cost is then much lower and they presumably are worth more in a trade.

On the other hand my neighbor's 38 foot diesel pusher gets about 4 mpg.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:59 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag8015 View Post
Up until recently it wouldn't make any difference which manufacturer you choose they all used the Ford chassis with the V10. Apparently they're discontinuing the V10 & replacing with a similar displacement V8, fuel mileage doubtfully will change much.
Some manufacturers now offer Mercedes or FCA chassis, personally either of which is what I'd choose, or if Ford was the only option for better power & mileage chose the super C with the diesel option.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #15

THOR #13932
I think the last time I worked diesel vs gas break evens I came up with 139,000 miles before the premium for diesel is paid for, then you're left with another 139.000 miles to make up pennies per mile to get ahead of the gas initial and ongoing costs. I think the oil change differential might move it all to. 200,000 mile break over.

The allure of diesel used to be less moving parts and fuel injection when carbs were the norm, no distributor, no spark plugs, cheaper fuel.

No gas distributors, no carbs, 200,000 mile spark plugs, gas is often to always less money than diesel... No allure other than torque.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:28 AM   #16

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
If you like the Vegas/Axis 24.1 floorplan but your wife feels like it’s too big & wants better MPG...
You might consider the Synergy Sprinter or Citation Sprinter with the 24ST floorplan.

You’ll get the popular Mercedes diesel front end (small class C), but much better MPG. I’ve heard it’s 14-16 depending on how it’s loaded, how fast you drive and whether you’re towing.

It’s about the same length at 25’10” (vs Vegas/Axis 25’6”), but narrower and not as tall. Also has a shorter wheelbase.
So the perception for most is that it’s much easier to drive.

New or used it’ll cost more than Vegas/Axis (probably because of the Mercedes front end).

By the way...the 24.1 & the ST floorplan are my favorites because you can sleep in the coach without using the slide.
Great for inconspicuous overnight boon-docking while on the road to a final destination, or mid-day naps in the beach parking lot.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:28 AM   #17

State: Michigan
THOR #17787
I'm in concurrence with the rest of the gang. 61-63 mph gets me 10-11 mpg. Occasionally but rarely better. Towing a Jeep Wrangler XL brings it down to 8 or so. I trade the mpg for a wide screen HD picture of the world in front of me. Pretty good deal by my measure.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #18

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I agree with AAL787. Sitting up high on top of the world with that huge, huge front window is something that most only dream about.

Also, we decided that the 30% premium for a Mercedes front end while sitting down low didn’t pencil out for us.

As they say...different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #19

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Agreed, Bob!
If anyone is that worried about fuel mileage then don't even consider a DP with its $400 oil changes (44 quart oil capacity).
GVP
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #20

THOR #13468
Quote:
I think the last time I worked diesel vs gas break evens I came up with 139,000 miles before the premium for diesel is paid for, then you're left with another 139.000 miles to make up pennies per mile to get ahead of the gas initial and ongoing costs. I think the oil change differential might move it all to. 200,000 mile break over.

The allure of diesel used to be less moving parts and fuel injection when carbs were the norm, no distributor, no spark plugs, cheaper fuel.

No gas distributors, no carbs, 200,000 mile spark plugs, gas is often to always less money than diesel... No allure other than torque.
I have never spent much time trying to determine the break-even point but I think you may not have considered that the trade-in value for a diesel RV should be considerably higher than that for a gas RV and that would also need to be factored in to the break-even point.

In addition much of it depends upon the relative gas and diesel fuel prices and right now gas is much, much less expensive where I live in southern Arizona. I see gas for a little over $2.00 a gallon while diesel is still $2.60.