Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
kenwood 875S Navigation

a must need to upgrade from the Axxera system. Looking at the but .... has a Garmin Navigation system does it work well for your RV ? Any other thoughts?

Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
While I don't prefer a built-in dash navigation app, if I wanted one, I would want a type that could take my Google Maps established route and bluetooth it into the navigation screen.
One of the reasons I've never wanted a dash mount system is that it seems very awkward and difficult to input your destination, and then change/add other points. The input just seems too much trouble versus the ease of google maps zooming in and out, picking a point and finding out details and websites, and even letting 'it' give turn by turn directions.

over 86,000 miles without one...it's doubtful I'll start using one now!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
While I don't prefer a built-in dash navigation app, if I wanted one, I would want a type that could take my Google Maps established route and bluetooth it into the navigation screen.
One of the reasons I've never wanted a dash mount system is that it seems very awkward and difficult to input your destination, and then change/add other points. The input just seems too much trouble versus the ease of google maps zooming in and out, picking a point and finding out details and websites, and even letting 'it' give turn by turn directions.

over 86,000 miles without one...it's doubtful I'll start using one now!
Thanks. Yes, the non-in dash has its benefits but I kinda steer towards simple and less clutter, less hassle. With that said, newer navigations have audio commands and many apply play so its as easy as anything else. The new systems truly can handle much more in the less space. Rear/front camera, TPMS connections, along with just about anything else you can throw at it. It can even tilt, although just up/down, not able to tilt towards you though which is a bummer.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 AM   #4

THOR #12830
Just to inform. Kenwood suggests their DNX775RVS for RV use.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have the Garmin RV 760. It is mounted above the instrument cluster in my line of sight. I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see where I need to go and how fast I am going.

With the length, width, height, and GVWR entered, it has never taken me into a place that would have taken off the roof of the RV.

My only issue is that their RV Parks database is not always accurate. I always cross check the address of the park with my smart phone.