Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
I listed 3 for replacement around the first of Nov. Received first replacement within about 2 weeks. Second replacement arrived about 3 weeks after the first and finally got the last new replacement about a week ago. Overall, took about 6 weeks to get all 3 new replacements. The 2nd replacement extinguisher I received was a larger and better model (a commercial model with short hose) than any of the types that I submitted for replacement but no problems with it, other than I had to remove the old bracket and install the larger one, and I put it in our motor home.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
After telling me that the replacement extinguishers were on indefinite backorder, my replacement showed up on my doorstep this morning. I'll call Fedex on Tuesday to have them come get the old one.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
When I got my replacement, they had instructions to call FedEx for a pick up. I was out today and thought I might save everyone some time by dropping it off at a FedEx store that was on my way. The guy working there saw the box and said "is that a fire extinguisher?". I said yes and he said that they had been told not to accept them by FedEx. So I'll call for a pickup and leave it on the front porch. Denver has been having significant problems with porch pirates recently, so if one decides to grab it, they are welcome to it. Just as effective for me as FedEx picking it up.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #24

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Makes me wonder if they made a deal w corporate FedEx and not the private owned stores? They keep saying 30-40 million and that's a lot of freight. Got to think someone got an awful good rate for that!!! Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #25

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
I dropped off 2 of my return extinguishers, at 2 different times, at Office Depot in Deland, FL. They are a FedEx drop point. They accepted them with no problem. Last one I took in was a few days before Christmas, so maybe this is something new.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #26

State: California
THOR #6944
You are partially correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Did you leave a 1 (one) out before the "2". Never heard of a 2 year replacement requirement anywhere, it's certainly NOT required by the Coast Guard rules or any other statute that I have ever seen.

Since most are CO2 extinguishers, how do they lose their effectiveness if that haven't leaked the charge?

"According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards adopted by most federal and state safety agencies, a non-rechargeable fire extinguisher must be removed from service, discarded and replaced with a new unit every 12 years, unless the manufacturer specifies an earlier expiration date."
As far as replacement goes on a boat it is determined by length. CO2 extinguisher are used only in a certain application. I have attached couple of links for clarification. Stay safe out there.

Required Equipment for Recreational Boats - BoatSafe.com

What type of fire extinguisher does the USCG require on a boat

Types of Fire Extinguishers ? The Fire Equipment Manufacturers? Association