Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Learning curve just got steep...

Since purchasing our Thor Compass 23TR in March, 2018, we have had so very many learning opportunities! Thought I would share our latest, in the hopes others could glean something from our experience.

We live in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where winters can be hard. Our original intent was to find inside storage for our new baby, but we also wanted to be able to access our RV in March for a spring trip. That turned out to be an almost-impossible task for us (and we should have started looking much sooner), as most storage facilities in our area were either already booked, or would not guarantee year round access. We finally found an RV storage facility about an hour away which had plans to build a new storage building, and we secured a spot. The owner promised year round access, and the place was fenced and had gated access, so we thought we were golden!

That’s when the drama started...construction of the new building was delayed, and delayed again, as winter was fast approaching. They finally started construction in late October, and in early November, just after some of the trusses went up, we had a huge windstorm with 60 mph wind gusts and most of the trusses were blown down. The whole project was halted as the contractor began wrangling with his insurance company, and then winter set in. The owner of the storage facility offered us outside parking for our RV, and at that point we really had no other choice. So we agreed, and made the commitment that we would visit once a month to check on our baby, keep her shoveled out, run the engine, and (as another poster on this forum so aptly put it) give our baby a hug now and then. We were parking on graded gravel, on top of rubber tire mats, and backed up to the security fence.

There was no way to predict that this would be one of our worst winters on record, or that we would keep every flake of snow that fell from November through March, because temperatures would be too cold to allow any significant melting. On two separate occasions, we shoveled through 3 feet of snow to get into the RV, and the first time we did this we realized that there had been some freeze/thaw cycles before it began snowing in earnest, and that the tires of the RV were locked in about 3 inches of ice (despite the fact that we had parked the RV on inch thick tire mats). The mats, the tire covers, and the bottom 2-3 inches of the tires themselves were firmly encased in ice. Thought about trying to bust it out of the ice, but we couldn’t get the tire covers off, and were afraid we might damage the tires or wheels. Nothing to do but wait for a thaw, right?

Well, this week we had 36 continuous hours of above freezing temperatures, and we drove down to check on our RV with the hope that there had been enough thawing to release it from the ice. BE careful what you ask for...The pictures give some idea what we found. The streets of the RV storage facility were mostly flooded, with anywhere from 3-8 inches of water on top of ice. The owner had a crew working with a front-end loader and dump truck to remove snow from the facility, and they were dumping it across the street, uphill from the storage facility. That’s right, UPHILL from the storage facility. When we got to our RV, the water was just a few inches from the bottom of our rig. Did I mention that it was raining, and that the forecast called for continued rain through the evening?

We waded through 8 inches of water to find that the tires (and tire covers) were still iced in. That’s when panic set in. After I recovered from the momentary loss of my mind, I called the owner of the storage facility, and he came with one of his crew and a front-end loader to try and help. Managed to cut away the tire covers, and to chisel the tires free from the ice, but the rig was sitting in icy trenches, lubricated by ice water, and was going nowhere. I learned from this part of the experience that the front end of the Compass is all plastic, and there is no place to attach a tow strap. Brilliant design, Ford! Tried rocking back and forth, pushing, putting sand under the tires, mats under the tires...nothing worked. Meanwhile, the water level is continuing to rise...

Finally, the owner of the facility got the idea to have the front-end loader clear a path from the street to the back of our RV, just outside the security fence. They put a tow ball in the hitch of the Compass, threaded the tow strap through the chain link security fence, and attached it to the hitch. The front-end loader was able to pull the RV back a few inches toward the security fence, just enough to get it out of the icy trenches, and that gave us just enough traction to drive the RV forward out of it’s icy tomb.

Though the owner of the facility graciously offered us parking in another site (which he plowed out), as we stood in the new site and looked around, all we could see was mountains of snow, mostly uphill, waiting to melt...We decided to bring our baby home and park her in the driveway for the rest of winter. And maybe in the near future take her someplace warm...We’ve all earned it!

Sorry this ran so long, and thanks for listening...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85735F9D-2901-43C4-9FB8-6A7065E13BAA.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	16195   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E824361-11B2-4D44-9D59-1A533A4A312C.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	16196  

Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow!
I'm glad to hear that both and your new rig survived the Winter.
After this: anything else will seem easy!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
And I thought I had problems during hurricane season.

Glad to see you and your rig are in one piece.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

Model: Aria - 3901
THOR #14654
We too live on Michigan and stored our motorhome at a local site. I feel your pain - we got out late Feb for a trip to Alabama. It was 14 degrees in the rig as I was not able to get the furnace to fire up. We got out just before several big storms. We decided that we seek out a storage site in the south! Hope you have a wonderful summer with your new rig - enjoy
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have friends (that's right, Bob) that own a cabin right on the bay/river in Detour Village. I've been there in the winter and it's brutal. Beyond what most people have endured. Your lucky ice dams and melting water didn't crack it into 4 huge pieces.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I have friends (that's right, Bob) s.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Cool

Wow ! That's the kind of stuff that nightmares are made of.

And it reaffirms my decision to move to Florida many years ago ! 🌴
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #8

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I have friends (that's right, Bob) that own a cabin right on the bay/river in Detour Village. I've been there in the winter and it's brutal. Beyond what most people have endured. Your lucky ice dams and melting water didn't crack it into 4 huge pieces.
Believe me, we know we were lucky! There are homes and businesses (and RV storage buildings) everywhere up here that have collapsed under the snow load this winter.

The irony of this story is that we almost talked ourselves out of going down to check on our rig...it was a cold, foggy, drizzly day, and it was soooo tempting to just stay home, warm and safe, and check on it another day. One moral of this story is to ALWAYS listen to that little voice inside!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk1putt View Post
We too live on Michigan and stored our motorhome at a local site. I feel your pain - we got out late Feb for a trip to Alabama. It was 14 degrees in the rig as I was not able to get the furnace to fire up. We got out just before several big storms. We decided that we seek out a storage site in the south! Hope you have a wonderful summer with your new rig - enjoy
We have had more than a few discussions about where we could store our RV next year...not ready to leave Michigan permanently, but certainly open to storing the RV in a nice warm spot! Be curious to know where you decide to store yours!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sure seems as if it'd be a good idea to start your search right now...

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
We have had more than a few discussions about where we could store our RV next year...not ready to leave Michigan permanently, but certainly open to storing the RV in a nice warm spot! Be curious to know where you decide to store yours!
Store it in Florida and fly home. Lotsa people do that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote