Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Leaving your pet inside

My DW and I have this discussion very time we leave our dog inside to go out. She insist I lock the motorhome but I say to leave it unlocked for fear of a fire. I would truly be upset if my dog was to burn up inside if someone couldn't get him out. What does everyone else do?
Would you bust out someone's window if you saw a fire in their motorhome and knew their dog was inside? These things burn rather quickly so time would be essential in getting them out.
I've also thought about having a dog inside sign made to stick on the door.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Being a dog owner I absolutely would break a window to rescue an animal. Having a sticker on the door would be a great idea, to let someone know the dog was there and also a deterrent to less than honest people. I would NOT leave the door unlocked!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #3

THOR #3952
I guess my thoughts are how hard it would be to bust out a window and get the pet out especially one of the higher windows. Maybe the window in the door but you would have reach inside to unlock the door which could be very difficult. I haven't stayed in a campground yet that I didn't feel comfortable leaving mine unlocked.
Our 30.1 has the doggy window at the passenger seat floor.
Was just interested in what others did.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
We leave ours locked my concern is someone stopping by and opening up the door and dog getting out. I like the idea of sticker I have one on the front window of my home

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
We lock the doors because we have trust issues. Had a little kid open up door one time while we were inside watching tv. He lost his mommy and we could of lost our dogs. Plus when was the last time you seen a RV at a campground you have been to go up in flames. Sure we all seen a picture from who knows where... We have been camping over 20 years and never see this before. But have seen a few houses go up in flames with more dogs than you can shake a stick at inside and people don't leave then unlocked. I think you would need a seat belt for your pets more than worrying about fires and bet you don't use any.... we don't...
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
We have seen stickers that said something similar to:
"In case of emergency, please rescue our pets."
It occurred to me that we sometimes take critters with us when we leave. I would feel badly if someone were to risk themselves searching for a pet we had safely with us. No one good answer here, I'm afraid. We have leaned both ways at times.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
We leave ours locked my concern is someone stopping by and opening up the door and dog getting out. I like the idea of sticker I have one on the front window of my home
I, too leave the door locked. I like the idea with the sticker. I have one at mu house door, got it from the local fire department. I have to try to get another one for the motorhome!
I would be concerned that my rather big dog (a Rotti - Great Dane mix) would scare some people if they just would open an unlocked door.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
We have always left ours unlocked when the dogs are inside, for that very reason. I want someone to open that door and let them out if the RV is on fire.

I'm less worried about someone getting inside for nefarious reasons. We don't leave anything of any value in the unlocked RV.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We have the placards saying pet inside, please rescue in case of emergency. We did see an in occupied motorhome burn up in a park, two or three years ago, and it went fast. Its a sobering thought, we are very attached to our dog. I also worry in warm weather, what if the AC would fail.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #10

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
We have the placards saying pet inside, please rescue in case of emergency. We did see an in occupied motorhome burn up in a park, two or three years ago, and it went fast. Its a sobering thought, we are very attached to our dog. I also worry in warm weather, what if the AC would fail.
I believe there is an app for your phone where you can monitor temps inside with some system installed.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I also have a pet, and would hate to see anything happen to him. With that being said, by the time a good neighbor got something strong enough to break the window. For as fast as this units burn it would be to late, I worry more about over heating for my pet if the ac were to fail.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #12

THOR #4160
We had the same concerns. We installed a Temp Stick so we can remotely monitor the temperature via our phones. Also set the AGS for the temperature setting of your choice.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
.....cut....
Would you bust out someone's window if you saw a fire in their motorhome and knew their dog was inside? These things burn rather quickly so time would be essential in getting them out.
.....cut....
Absolutely.

We traveled with dogs for many years and always left them locked in. While fire may be a concern, we were even more concerned that they would somehow get out and run away. Not knowing what happened to them would be even more devastating for us than having them die in accident. Fortunately my wife and I agreed on this so we didn't discuss it much.

Another thing to consider (and I hate to mention it) is that by the time a fire is noticed and someone takes action, smoke inside RV may have already overwhelmed pets. Hopefully the smoke alarm is loud enough to be heard from a distance.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #14

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
We had the same concerns. We installed a Temp Stick so we can remotely monitor the temperature via our phones. Also set the AGS for the temperature setting of your choice.
Would be interested in details on your 'temp stick' how it works where you found it etc.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #15

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Would be interested in details on your 'temp stick' how it works where you found it etc.
Simply place it where you want to monitor temperature and connect to your WiFi. We use a cellular USB stick for internet then you set the app up for alerts. It's that simple.

http://idealsciences.com/common-questions/
Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #16

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Temp Sticks

I contacted them and in the next few months they will be coming out with a plug in product that uses batteries for backup (not rechargeable ones though)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #17

THOR #4160
Great, I might have to check that one out. Maybe there is an alert when it loses AC power too.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #18

THOR #5821
Yeah if it would notify on AC loss too, you would at least know if the rising temps were because of AC voltage loss. or AC failure. Either way, of course you have to go to the RV too rescue your pet.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 AM   #19

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Personally, there is no way I would leave it unlocked. There are way too many things that could happen with the door unlocked. Vandals, thieves, curious people, etc. We always lock our motorhome and there is a sign in the door and opposite side window that says 3 cats are inside. I think it is just way too likely that your pet(s) will be stolen and/or let free either intentionally or accidentally. If you decide to not lock it please don't post it here, so I don't have to feel sad about it.

Ken
Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #20

THOR #5821
Ok, I today ordered the Temp Stick, since summer is coming, and I am only slightly paranoid about leaving our dog in the motorhome when we are not there. At least I will be able to monitor the temperature while we are away, and will know if the AC fails, in time to get back there and save her. Will post what I think of it, when it gets here.