Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
Legroom with Ford and class c

We are looking for a new Class C. The problem is that in the fords that we have seen, the seats don't move back far enough and the passenger seat is cramped by the engine cowling area. I get that there is frequently issues because of the level of the floor in the cab vs. the inside, and the slideouts blocking the driver's seat slide. Also, the ford used to be the only one with the swivel seats, now not so much. (We are looking at < 27')

Are there any class C Fords with adequate legroom??
Thanks
David

Old 08-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Problem?

If you don't like the legroom in a class c, you're sure not going to like crawling between the seats to get to the coach when the need/want arises.

Consider an axis/vegas for uninterrupted legroom.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
It took me a couple trips AFTER we had already bought our class C to decide "this ain't gonna work". So... I exercised the nuclear option... not for the feint of heart, but VERY effective. I'm 6'1" tall, and this "fix" completely solved the legroom problem:

https://youtu.be/K3gcFoHIGlQ

If you're anything over 5'9" or so, I would urge you to avoid the class C segment... I'd look at the Axis/Vegas twins. AND... move the seat back as far as possible to see how much room you have. You can ALWAYS move it forward, but if you're still cramped with it all the way back... keep looking.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Yes, The CHEVY Freedom Elite 22H has a little more room up there. GOOD observation
Old 08-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspixx View Post
We are looking for a new Class C. The problem is that in the fords that we have seen, the seats don't move back far enough and the passenger seat is cramped by the engine cowling area. I get that there is frequently issues because of the level of the floor in the cab vs. the inside, and the slideouts blocking the driver's seat slide. Also, the ford used to be the only one with the swivel seats, now not so much. (We are looking at < 27')

Are there any class C Fords with adequate legroom??
Thanks
David

DW & I just drove a UHaul on the Ford E350 chassis, not sure what engine it was, 1500+ miles moving our son, the drivers side was cramped, I'm 5'10" tall & very warm next the engine cover, but the passenger side was horribly cramped & extremely hot, we both made the comment wondering how/why anyone would want a class C on this chassis, not to mention it was very thirsty.
I'm guessing there's a way to insulate the engine cover to reduce the heat & noise, but the cramped legroom was as good as it was gonna get on either side of the cab.
If we were interested in a class C it would have to be some other brand of chassis or the super C with the pickup cab rather than the van can.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The Ford F Series is a different cab configuration and they build a C class on it as well. It's still a bit of a challenge to get to the back but not near as bad. Remember...the Ford E Series is really a carpet and contractor van body...not designed with motorhome in mind...they just make a motorhome out of it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You might also look at the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis Class C motor homes. Mine seems to have a lot of leg room with both front seats.

Paul
Old 08-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The Ford F Series is a different cab configuration and they build a C class on it as well. It's still a bit of a challenge to get to the back but not near as bad. Remember...the Ford E Series is really a carpet and contractor van body...not designed with motorhome in mind...they just make a motorhome out of it.

It may have been designed for contractors but it is no longer being produced or sold for any purpose other than RVs.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #9

THOR #16721
...and if I were you, if you're over 6' tall, I would not take as Gospel anyone claiming "comfortable driving position". I cannot fit in a standard bed non-king cab pickup truck either... but I see lots of them on the road. Must be a lot of sub 6' guys out there...
Old 08-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Most tall and larger people prefer Class A to C. There's a lot more room. The Chevy chassis definitely has more room than the Ford, but neither is as roomy as an A.

As for:
Quote:
Must be a lot of sub 6' guys out there...
Average height for a male in the US is 5'9" so yes, lots of sub 6' guys out there. (I'm 5'7", average height for a woman. When it comes to camping, this is a good thing!)

From Google, only 14.5% of men are 6' or more.
https://www.google.com/search?q=perc...er+6+feet+tall
Old 08-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Most tall and larger people prefer Class A to C. There's a lot more room. The Chevy chassis definitely has more room than the Ford, but neither is as roomy as an A.

As for:

Average height for a male in the US is 5'9" so yes, lots of sub 6' guys out there. (I'm 5'7", average height for a woman. When it comes to camping, this is a good thing!)

From Google, only 14.5% of men are 6' or more.
https://www.google.com/search?q=perc...er+6+feet+tall
Height can be a blessing or a curse. My best friend is 5'5"(shorty). We worked together for years. His method of "getting under something" was drastically different (and easier) than mine. However, I always accused him if having little T-Rex arms when he was trying to reach something up high. All in good fun!!
Old 08-23-2021, 10:48 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Problem?

Consider an axis/vegas for uninterrupted legroom.
This exactly! We noticed the cramped leg room right away when looking at class Cs. Both DH & I are "only" 5ft 9", but really cherish not being cramped (and are spoiled by the generous leg room of our daily driver - a Toyota Corolla. Yes, really.)

The generous kitchen counter and the leg room of our Axis 25.3 were it's two biggest selling points. It has delivered in spades on both counts.

It delivers on the <27 ft too.

You'll also love the wide vista view with that nice big windshield. Go check it out. Good luck & enjoy.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post

Last time I looked at data, the Ford E-Series had the highest market share of any chassis for motorhome use in America.

In my opinion there is little doubt poor leg and foot room are the worst design attribute of the Econoline van/cutaway chassis. It’s too bad Ford couldn’t install a large inline six cylinder to make engine doghouse much narrower.

For what it’s worth, the newest engine cover has scalloped-out areas to add extra leg room since new 7.3L V8 is narrower than old 6.8L V10. I covered that in different E-Series thread. Unfortunately, Ford didn’t do as much as they could have to add legroom. They limited revision to doghouse, instead of also revising firewall.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #14

THOR #16721
Both the wife & I don't really have a problem with the doghouse encroaching on legroom. It's mostly just getting the seats moved back far enough so you can stretch your legs... which we've accomplished. Sideways and foot room is no issue with us; actually it's no worse than my F-150 (after my modifications).

Navigating the doghouse to move from the cab seats to the motorhome interior is another story... difficult, contortive, but not impossible... unless you're a VERY large person. Having a pedestal seat level with the floor, like in a class A, is ALWAYS going to be easier. And I've seen videos of climbing up out of a Super C cab... not for me!
Old 08-24-2021, 03:30 AM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
This exactly! We noticed the cramped leg room right away when looking at class Cs. Both DH & I are "only" 5ft 9", but really cherish not being cramped (and are spoiled by the generous leg room of our daily driver - a Toyota Corolla. Yes, really.)

The generous kitchen counter and the leg room of our Axis 25.3 were it's two biggest selling points. It has delivered in spades on both counts.

It delivers on the <27 ft too.

You'll also love the wide vista view with that nice big windshield. Go check it out. Good luck & enjoy.
The class A gassers feel much more roomy with the cockpit at floor level rather than down in a a cramped hole.
When we retired we looked at class Cs to travel full time, but there were several deterents, #1 at the time the E series Ford V10 was the ONLY chassis available & not a Ford fan, #2 very little storage inside & out, #3 that extremely cramped cockpit.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #16

State: Minnesota
THOR #19096
Legroom with a class C

The Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis is much roomier for both the driver and passenger. It is also a real pleasure to drive. The “doghouse” is much smaller making it very easy to transition from driving to using the kitchen or bathroom. In the Fords, Chevys and Dodges it seems much easier to get out the drivers door, walk around and re-enter through the coach door. Not so much fun in heavy rain which may be why you pulled over in the first place! I know they cost more, but you get what you pay for. If its uncomfortable how much are you really going to enjoy using it?
Old 08-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We looked at a couple of Mercedes chassis coaches and they are nice. But only if you like small coaches. For the money we quickly narrowed our search to class A. Lots of pluses and only a few drawbacks. IMO
Old 08-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Get a Vegas 25.6!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #19

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You might also look at the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis Class C motor homes. Mine seems to have a lot of leg room with both front seats.

Paul
Amen to that...Mercedes Sprinter LOTS of room. I'm 6'2" at 240 - I love driving it and very easy access to back when stopped.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #20

Model: 22 Freedom elite
State: Virginia
THOR #21610
this is why i bought Chevy,

Tags
legroom ford classc