Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2023, 07:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26629
Level on when slides in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Experience and manual leveling procedure will get you were you need to be before deploying the slide, but soft ground may still throw you a curveball over several days. Id so, bump up the low slide manually with the slide still out.
I would strongly recommended against leveling with the slides out. The manual process of using the levels is not smooth and almost always results in a jerky movement of the coach which could (combined with the slides being out) result in twisting of the frame and potentially messing up the drive spindles.

Instead. I use the Level Mate Pro system. I block and perform my level with slides in and have the coach 0.75 inches low on the passenger side (opposite the full length slide). Then when the slide is extended I wind up level.

A recently learned process is to always manually level the coach side to side then front to back. There is less risk of torquing the frame and it seems to require less pushes of the buttons to acquire a level finish.

BuzzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:53 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDoc View Post
I would strongly recommended against leveling with the slides out. The manual process of using the levels is not smooth and almost always results in a jerky movement of the coach which could (combined with the slides being out) result in twisting of the frame and potentially messing up the drive spindles.

Instead. I use the Level Mate Pro system. I block and perform my level with slides in and have the coach 0.75 inches low on the passenger side (opposite the full length slide). Then when the slide is extended I wind up level.

A recently learned process is to always manually level the coach side to side then front to back. There is less risk of torquing the frame and it seems to require less pushes of the buttons to acquire a level finish.
I've been manually leveling my coach for over 5 years now - never had any jerkiness in MANUAL mode - AUTOMATIC mode is a whole different story.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:57 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffThor325 View Post
If you have a kitchen measuring cup with a flat bottom (a ¼ cup measure will do just fine), fill it to the rim with water and carefully set it on the counter. Instant 360° bubble level.
Or pay 1 cent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230524_175703_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	42063  
Old 05-24-2023, 11:04 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Or pay 1 cent

Yeah but you have to add tax to that. Now if I can just find my measuring cup

No I actually use this an automatic level.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25505-E...56958046&psc=1

If always gets it right. If my autolevel can't level, I move the coach to more level ground.

I am lucky as my slide when extended has no impact on the leveling
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:08 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yeah but you have to add tax to that. Now if I can just find me measuring cup

No I actually use this an automatic level.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25505-E...56958046&psc=1

If always gets it right. If my autolevel can't level, I move the coach to more level ground.

I am lucky as my slide when extended has no impact on the leveling
Nice ..added to my cart to review
Old 05-24-2023, 11:15 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Nice ..added to my cart to review
There are times when I park and put that leveler on the middle of the floor facing the front of RV; the coach may already be level (all green). But I level anyway because I like the support, but especially if the slide is going out. I won't extend my slide unless all 4 jacks are firmly on the ground.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-24-2023, 11:27 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I've been manually leveling my coach for over 5 years now - never had any jerkiness in MANUAL mode - AUTOMATIC mode is a whole different story.
Automatic mode jerkiness is part of the experience. Actually I can't tell the difference, when it starts it helps to remind everyone to stay seated.

IMO I don't think the motorhome should shift if already leveled with all 4 jacks firmly on the ground? Must be some other root cause, or maybe it is just poor design.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:53 AM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Or pay 1 cent
Looks like $2 with $1.99 shipping.

This one is 2 cents cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Port.../dp/B0BTD96KRW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	42065  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:33 AM   #29

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadahead View Post
Still considering myself a novice, third season with Thor, but I've gotten pretty good at reading the level and choosing the correct blocking.

Yet here's my question, I've noticed that once level and I put the slide out, the new weight distribution throws everything off.
Do I just let this be or do I account for this action and adjust the blocking from the beginning?

I know the importance of of leveling and one being avoiding undo stress on the slide motors. I just want to do it right, any words would be helpful.

Thanks all.
We do manual, even though we could use the auto leveler. We use a bubble level and leave the slide side just a hair high, and when the slide goes out it is level.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:19 AM   #30

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
I have a Freedom Elite F24. Just for giggles when I had it set up and level, I measured from the ground to the bottom of the slide, then I retracted the slide and took the same measurement. Now I know the driver side drops 1 1/2” when the slides out. P.S. I have my level mate pro set to compensate for it I just wanted to know how mush it dropped.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:57 AM   #31

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I have a Freedom Elite F24. Just for giggles when I had it set up and level, I measured from the ground to the bottom of the slide, then I retracted the slide and took the same measurement. Now I know the driver side drops 1 1/2” when the slides out. P.S. I have my level mate pro set to compensate for it I just wanted to know how mush it dropped.
I have a 24f with full wall slide. I did the same... but I use el-cheapo fixed bubble levels. I calibrated them in a fixed position (the side to side) so that when it indicates level, the driver side is actually about 1 1/2" high. Pop the slide out and it's perfect. BUT I occasionally set up with the driver side ever so slightly higher - the head of the bed. After a couple years of tinkering I just have a feel for it.