Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Leveling Jacks or not - High Winds expected

Getting our Class A Windsport set up close to the house to gain some aerodynamic streamlining (hopefully) as Hurricane Dorian glances by us in the next 48 hours or so. Gravel driveway is "relatively level", but off a bit.

What is recommended or best with winds anticipated up to 75mph? Lower the jacks and level to get extra points of contact but slightly elevated; or leave it on the tires?

Figure I'll need the genny and AC for a day or two; and would prefer to have it level for quick/easy slideout and setup. If that's inherently less stable though, I'll adapt and overcome.

Any experience?

Thanks,

Old 09-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The coach's base is wider and longer with the coach's jacks up. Also there is less chance of air getting under the coach and flipping it. We always try to face the coach into the wind if you can guess the direction the strongest gust. Generally the most damage will come from the flying debris and not fron the wind alone.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Lower the levels to stabilize the rig, not level it as normal (start from level if possible).

Face your RV AWAY from the prevailing wind direction to protect the windshield. For this storm that should be pointing south.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
actually, I look at facing it the 'normal' driving way - as the coach is already designed to travel at 70mph - so keeping it facing that way makes sense - I'd rather replace a windshield than a fiberglass rear cap.

also, leave the jacks up, and the slides in... your rig is designed to handle the road and wind and passing vehicles at 70mph or more, so let it's suspension and wheels handle the movement and load - it really takes a LOT to 'tip over' an rv.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #5

THOR #11007
Thanks all! I have the rig oriented just off NE to W. Our first and probably strongest winds from an offshore storm will come from the East and NE. Tail facing that direction, as I also considered comparative costs of back window vs windshield replacement. Biggest concern with this orientation is that I'm almost assured the wind shroud on the bathroom vent will peel away - as it will be open to the wind. I may duct tape some plastic or tarp over that to minimize the drag.

Back to original question - consensus seems to be jacks up, or only touching without leveling. I'll make that adjustment first thing in the morning (or midnight tonight, if outer bands start to creep in sooner than expected).

Happy Trails, ya'll!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, if you have the notion, you can bring down the jacks where they come within about 1" of touching - allowing the suspension to take much of the movement, but also have the jacks there to help with any real dramatic tipping movement, especially for a direct 'side' hit by a big wind event.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Making sure water and fuel are full adds some weight below the center of gravity, plus is helpful after the storm (probably too late for that now, but just for the future).
Old 09-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: lowering the center of gravity is a VERY good thing!

Good Luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Article regarding high winds.

Can High Winds Flip RVs Parked In A Campground?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
I might be totally wrong here but I also heard somewhere that if you let the air out of the tires so it is or just barely sitting on the rims, thats better so wind and debris cant get under the coach. Makes the center of gravity even lower and lower is better.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That might be true: but it's got to be pretty tough on those sidewalls...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

THOR #11007
I did reorient the rig to be facing into the expected highest winds (which are now forecast to include gusts up to 115mph.... a "little" faster than I normally drive, unless you hear it from Mrs PTS. ). Unless forecast changes drastically in the next 24 hours eye wall will pass within 35 miles of us; so not sure orientation will make much difference.

But that change does let me get it parked a little closer to the house. Hopefully that will give some aerodynamics to help protect my porch roof - and then partial shielding for the rig as the storm passes by and wind changes direction.

Also filled gas tank yesterday, and approximately 50 gallons in the fresh tank, so have an extra 1000# or so to help hold it down and run the genny for a few days.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Spider web tape the glass just in case it/they get broken. If taped well and get hit, sometimes the broken glass will stay in place and still give a bit more protection than just bare glass alone, which would shatter. Either way...stay close to the ground and tell your wife you love her every 15 minutes. Well, tell you love her all of the time but just say it every 15 minutes. Be safe!! Where in NC?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What if you could chain down the axles and hubs to some solid in-pavement attachment points?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #15

THOR #11007
"Every 15 minutes..." She'd kill me ;-) We're about 20 miles NNW of Wilmington. We've ridden out several storms since moving here in '13; but this is the first one we've had to secure an RV as well - thus my questions. We did load up the rig and bugged out for Florence last year; but only because it looked to come right into our back yard as a high-end Cat 3 or more. Felt foolish when wind speed dropped to Cat1. Felt much better about decision after is stalled over our yard for 4 days, brought the river and dead fish into our yard (from 1.5 miles away). We'd planned to be away for 4 days, 5 tops. Flooding prevented our return for 16 days. Since neither of us killed ourselves or the other, we count it as a practice run for eventual retirement full-timing.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #16
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I've done 2 different setups for two different storms... different circumstances...
For Matthew (the tropical storm version where we were in central FL) - the RV was parked facing into what I expected to be the worst wind - slides in, jacks down, Jeep Wrangler tucked close alongside, and us inside... gulp...
That was our welcome to FL the week after leaving Michigan to move here.
we and the rig did fine...

For Irma (Cat 2 eye wall passed directly over us - not as predicted), the rig was tucked behind the garage blocking the east wind. Slides in, jacks up. We were in the brick/block house a few yards away this time.
Rig did fine... Garage deflected the 50+ foot falling pine away from the RV (pine needles were tickling the windshield...)

For Dorian, set up the same - less 2 major pine trees... we fortunately didn't get much this time as it turned and followed the coast (a week earlier was looking much different...)

I would shelter it as best you can near the house... I'd leave the jacks up to let the suspension flex - but don't think it matters much... Tanks full is good more from the standpoint of fuel for genny and water for you... Keep yourself safe and hopefully it will turn away from you as well.

Of course if the concern is flooding - things change... "Shelter from wind, run from water" is what they say down here... Take the 'lifeboat' (RV) and head on out if that is the case. I've had an overflowing river lapping at the tires of the camper as we hooked up to leave the campground being evacuated following remnants of Ivan passing through the catskills in NY many years ago. Petefoss will remember that one as well.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
We brought our Vegas to our house for the storm this week. I wanted a "back-up" in case we lost power and ran low on gas for the house generator. Also didn't want to leave it at the storage facility, even though it's a great storage company, some construction contractors like to leave trailers with loose items, not secured. When we took the coach back to storage today, once the winds subsided enough, there were three large pine limbs in my parking spot from the tree directly behind my spot. Wow, did I make the right decision!
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #18

THOR #11007
Quick update -

We (and the rig) survived close pass of Dorian with no issues. Recorded sustained winds overnight in the mid-40's mph range, some gusts into the 60's, and 12.5 inches of rain. Only thing I see which will need some repair work is the fireplace smokestack on the house which is off-kilter. RV got a free pressure wash.

Now to check on the status of the KOA in Charleston SC.... we're booked to take the grandsprogs down there for a long weekend at the end of the month.

Thanks again for all the advice folks!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that the damage was minimal!
Old 09-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #20

Model: FW Chateau Citatiion 23BA
State: Tennessee
THOR #8316
Great news. Enjoy your new toy.