Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Leveling & Wheels Off Ground

I read someplace where you are not suppose to auto level in an uneven camp site and leave your unit with a wheel(s) off the ground. Coming from a 5th wheel background this was never a problem.

Driving through a CG to get to my storage area I have seen a couple motorhomes set up with at least one front wheel off the ground this winter. Now, getting ready for close to 7,000 miles of traveling through numerous states I am thinking we will probably find a couple sites that are uneven.

If you are going to be stuck with a pull through site that is angled enough that when you auto-level your front wheels are off the ground, what do you do? Do you retract your jacks, drive your front wheels up on boards, then do the auto-level again? Find another CG?

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
When this happens, I usually manually jack the tires a little higher, place jack pads down then relevel so my tires aren't hanging in the air. Looks much better and has to be better on the ball bearings.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
While I try to avoid it for the front wheels - I don't sweat it if they need to be off the ground. Being level is more important (and more dangerous not to be with an RV (absorption) fridge running)

I've never seen 'ball bearings' be the reason cited.. and can't picture how hanging with just the weight of the tire can be worse than the pressure of a 5000 lb axle...
From storing cars in the past the recommendation was also letting the suspension hang.

The jacks are designed to hold the weight as well... so that doesn't concern me either (they are holding most of the weight before the tires ever leave the ground...)

I have (for looks more than anything else) slid ramps under the lifted front wheels once jacked up - typically in my driveway of past house which needed to lift the wheels off several inches to allow the fridge to run properly.

I do try hard to avoid rear wheels off the ground - but that is more for losing the 'brake' of the transmission in park - and the parking brake (also a transmission brake). Would have to be very well chocked in front.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I am not concerned about a tire being off the ground when the vehicle is level. As long as I don't detect any movement when the slide out is deployed or when we are moving around inside. I feel the same way about having one leveling pad off the ground. Three leveling pads and six tires make for a stable vehicle. These things happen in certain circumstances.