Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #4409
To carport or not to carport, that is the question.

Good afternoon all.

I just picked up a new Thor Gemini. I'm considering a carport or some kind of covered storage.

I live in the desert area of So Cal. Winter temps don't get much below freezing too much, but summer temps can be 115 to 120 in the afternoon for much of the summer.

We won't be using the coach more than a couple of weekends a month so it's going to sit a lot.

I'm concerned about sun based exterior damage and component damage on the inside from excessive heat.

With that being said, should I be concerned and to what extent?

Option #1 - Wide, tall and long enough to just fit with some extra room and full side walls $2,200 ($3,000 with permits, engineering fees etc)

Option #2 I could go wide enough to fit over my whole parking apron behind the garage 25' X 45' and park other cars. I don't know if i'd go much taller than i need now. 11' I was thinking of going taller, to fit future coach, but really if I need taller in the future, I'll also need much longer and that won't fit the drive apron. $5,500 with permits etc.

So need some advice. 1) should I worry, 2) if so, what would you build?

Cuthahotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I recommend option #1. Blocking the sun is critical in keeping the exterior and interior looking new. Nothing worse than a one or two year old rig totally faded out, in my humble opinion. Also blocking the sun from the tires is important, whether with custom made tire covers or plywood. Both work equally well. I also recommend leaving roof vents open to help eliminate some of the stifiling heat in your area.
Good luck!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
Make it wide enough to accommodate having your slides out (assuming you have slides). You may want to have it tall enough if you ever get on top of the rig.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
I recommend option #1. Blocking the sun is critical in keeping the exterior and interior looking new. Nothing worse than a one or two year old rig totally faded out, in my humble opinion. Also blocking the sun from the tires is important, whether with custom made tire covers or plywood. Both work equally well. I also recommend leaving roof vents open to help eliminate some of the stifiling heat in your area.
Good luck!
Thanks. I'm leaning toward #1. But a couple things that have come up today in conversation. The spot picked out for #1 is tough to back or pull into. Probably an 8 point turn. If I go with #2 I can swing wider while under the carport. Second is the trail car. Don't have one yet, but thinking along the lines of a 65 MGB or Spitfire. (How cool would an MGB look painted to match the coach!!! It would be nice to be able to park it (with the rag top) out of the sun as well.

Started checking on the permit process today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Make it wide enough to accommodate having your slides out (assuming you have slides). You may want to have it tall enough if you ever get on top of the rig.
One slide only and it extends straight backwards. The bed in back partially folds up.
Cuthahotha is offline   Reply With Quote