RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 493
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnecd View Post
Florida registration

Have a Florida adress with escapees but they say we cant use a PO box for registration. Any ideas??
How about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-06.png
Views:	19
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	27058  
__________________

__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,403
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So let me get this straight:

My name is Bill Hates and I have a few dollars to my name.

I own a house in Washington state and keep 2 vehicles there for my personal use.

I also have a house in Texas, Connecticut, and Florida, all of which I keep one or two of my personal vehicles there for personal use. Let's not even get into my house and cars in the Bahamas.

I only have my Washington state drivers license as I can drive anywhere in the US and in most countries around the world with it.

Are you telling me I can't register my Texas, Connecticut and Florida vehicles in the location where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington Drivers License?
And that no insurance company will insure those vehicle where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington state Drivers License?

That sure makes it difficult for me and my friends in similar circumstances to drive legally at our vacation homes with our vacation vehicles.

Signed - Your Friend Bill
I've been down this road....

We split time between FL and PA. I have a FL drivers license since Florida is my legal residence. My wife has a PA license using our PA address as her legal residence.

We do this because it is much easier when it comes to dealing with vehicles. We have a vehicle in FL but it is my name and it had to be titled and registered in FL.

We have a vehicle in PA but it is in her name because they would not title it and register it in PA in my name.

When we bought our last coach we put it in both names. That gave us the flexibility to register it in FL or PA. I chose PA because insurance is cheaper in PA because there is now surcharges for hurricanes, tropical storms, etc. I store the coach in PA and we use that as our RV basecamp because I have indoor storage in PA and it will take less abuse from the brutal FL summer heat.

I deal with two insurance agents. One in PA and one in FL because one can't offer insurance in both states. I even ended up getting rid of my umbrella policy because the insurance companies did not want to deal with property and vehicles from two states.

Now that being said.... I have friends who have homes in FL. They drove their cars down from PA and parked them at their FL homes permanently. PA is still there residence so they have a DL from there and the cars are registered and titled there. They get their registration renewal from PA. PA requires vehicle inspections but FL does not. Their vehicle inspections have been expired for years and FL does not care as long as the vehicle has a valid registration. I'm not sure their PA insurance agents would be happy that the car is registered in PA but parked and used in FL.
__________________

__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #23
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
Posts: 33
THOR #20900
Just as a comment, it's generally possible to be a legal resident of two states at the same time. For a couple years I was a legal resident of both KY and OH at the same time. Both states required that I spend at least 3 days a week in the state. I had an apartment in Columbus, where I worked, and spent 4 days a week there. I had another apartment in Louisville, where I lived, and spent 3 days a week there. Made taxes fun though, even with OH and KY's reciprocity agreement. (I also put A LOT of miles on my car, which was bought in KY and registered in OH because OH doesn't charge PPT! )
__________________
ON ORDER: 2021 Thor Four Winds 26B
atreis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,994
THOR #8860
Besides: Bill Hates could probably insure the whole fleet through a Company like Lloyds anywaY...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1,063
THOR #13362
Many of you are aware of the “South Dakota” option where vehicle licensing is abut $50/yr.

Several companies advertise legal addresses in SD where mail can be received (as a primary address) and forwarded to anywhere in the country for a small fee.

So, the theory is that you license all your vehicles in SD and receive a SD driver’s license (all easily done thru the mail without ever going to SD).
Hence, you use that same SD address to file your taxes.

Many full-timers do this even if they own a home in another state.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1,063
THOR #13362
I was told by the CA DMV several years ago that your official residence is where you spend 51% of your time (or the majority of time if splitting between more than two locations).

So in the Bill Hates hypothetical...he could probably choose the cheapest tax liability state as his primary residence as long as, if asked, his answer is that he spends the majority of time there.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1,063
THOR #13362
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I've been down this road....

We split time between FL and PA. I have a FL drivers license since Florida is my legal residence. My wife has a PA license using our PA address as her legal residence.

We do this because it is much easier when it comes to dealing with vehicles. We have a vehicle in FL but it is my name and it had to be titled and registered in FL.

We have a vehicle in PA but it is in her name because they would not title it and register it in PA in my name.

When we bought our last coach we put it in both names. That gave us the flexibility to register it in FL or PA. I chose PA because insurance is cheaper in PA because there is now surcharges for hurricanes, tropical storms, etc. I store the coach in PA and we use that as our RV basecamp because I have indoor storage in PA and it will take less abuse from the brutal FL summer heat.

I deal with two insurance agents. One in PA and one in FL because one can't offer insurance in both states. I even ended up getting rid of my umbrella policy because the insurance companies did not want to deal with property and vehicles from two states.

Now that being said.... I have friends who have homes in FL. They drove their cars down from PA and parked them at their FL homes permanently. PA is still there residence so they have a DL from there and the cars are registered and titled there. They get their registration renewal from PA. PA requires vehicle inspections but FL does not. Their vehicle inspections have been expired for years and FL does not care as long as the vehicle has a valid registration. I'm not sure their PA insurance agents would be happy that the car is registered in PA but parked and used in FL.
I believe that you and your wife (by PA Democrat standards) are committing fraud by intentionally deceiving local PA govt and avoiding taxes & fees. Same thing where I live in CA and other Blue states.
They want their $$$$

Now, on the other hand, a Republican state like FL, AZ, or TX is much less likely to enforce the residence law.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 356
THOR #2053
I don't know where you are an agent, but I am SURE it's not in NE. Our policy lists me, my wife, 2 different trusts and our MT LLC as "Named Insured" all on the same policy with a residence address in NE. As I said earlier= the 350 ford and 5th wheel re registered in MT, the ford explorer is registered in TX and a f-150 and ford flex are registered in NE.
And the NE state insurance board will be really disappointed that they do not regulate commercial policies. Which ours is not. It is a standard policy thru Farmers Mutual of NE and an agent in Seward county, along with our NE house and umbrella. All are 100% personal use vehicles. Our TX and MT homes are insured by local agents in their respective states.
16ACE27 is pretty much on target. It's pretty much like CC and other things=every state allows different things and prohibits certain things. I'm telling you what is reality in my world and don't care what FL or any other state requires, so don't tell me it ain't so because you're wrong.

Bill
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,994
THOR #8860
42 years as an Agent in New York...
It depends entirely on two things:
The insurance laws in your State
AND...
What you can talk your insurer into doing for you.


Sometimes you can start raising too many questions about the risk you are asking the company to underwrite, and then you'll find them looking for a reason to cancel you...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
Posts: 11
THOR #7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
In Florida, the exact same buildings, the exact same offices, the exact same people, the exact same computer systems handle driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, even concealed carry permits.
And in some counties, like mine, the Tax Collector issues DLs and plates. Concealed Carry is issued by the state.
__________________
Marsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 26B
State: Montana
Posts: 8
THOR #6733
If you do it that way to save on taxes, you can get dinged big time. I had a cousin that registered his RV in OR to save on tabs and taxes and he had a 5 figure fine when caught. I'm sure laws are different in different states
__________________
Chateauduchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 13
THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1bone View Post
I live in Missouri, but store my RV in Colorado. When my plates are due, I would have to have it inspected in Colorado. Do I get Colorado plates? I'm not sure how this works.
Each state has their own rules and laws. If you register it in MO then you must comply to that states laws, if you register it in CO then that states laws prevail. By federal law both states can not require you to register and follow their laws at the same time, only the state you register it in.
__________________
danl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 13
THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
After 9/11...... you legally can only have one driver's license based on your state of residence and all vehicles must then be registered in that state.

The state of registration controls any vehicle inspection requirements, etc.

Insurance companies "prefer" vehicles are stored in the state of registration.
The 'one' drivers license/state ID started long before the 9/11 date. The fine print of drivers license renewal and/or application has a legal statement that you 'do not possess' one from any other state. Been law since early 1960's.
Florida used to have a special drivers license the stated "Valid in Florida Only" for part year residents, but those have been banned from being renewed and are no longer used.
__________________
danl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
Posts: 1
THOR #20800
Angry

Living in Colorado, I wouldnít recommend registering your vehicle here. Since we legalized marijuana, our auto insurance has gone up exponentially! My insurance company tells me itís the marijuana and uninsured motorists that have caused it to go up so much. JME infuriating having never had an accident in over 60 years of driving!
__________________
Ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #35
Member
 
jr_nicholson's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
Posts: 44
THOR #7004
My rig is registered in Montana, but I live in Michigan. Best to check with both DMV's
__________________
jr_nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #36
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 45
THOR #15940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnecd View Post
Florida registration

In our motorcoach Florida and are having trouble getting our Florida drivers license. Without our license we cant register our motorcoach. Just moved here from California bought our coach in Arizona. Have a Florida adress with escapees but they say we cant use a PO box for registration. Any ideas??
Call your PO Box a lot number or "suite" number. Our whole neighborhood has boxes at the entrance to the neighborhood and we call them Lot Number 5, Lot number 127 etc etc. We have no trouble getting any mail, even from entityies specifying no PO Boxes.
__________________
Capt.Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.4
State: California
Posts: 111
THOR #7440
I worked in a heavy truck repair shop years ago and always noticed all the motorhome who came in for front end work had Oregon license plates, I got to know some of the customers and they told me they lived in California and bought the coach in Oregon to avoid the sales tax, they claimed they lived on the road and got away with it back then, now the laws have changed, I bought a boat in Nevada an I live in San Diego County, Insurance company was very specific on where the boat will be used and stored, department of motor vehicles was also very specific on where the boat will be used an stored, sounds like all the loop holes have been closed up, not worth the problems if something happens and you have been fudging on the rules
__________________
BASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
DogLovers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 SynergyTT24Ming Blue
State: Indiana
Posts: 505
THOR #6280
Lots of high end (expensive) rig owners register and plate their RV in Montana through one of the agency's there that specialize in that. You can use their (100%) legal RV plating services for a few hundred dollars per year rather than the oppressive plate costs in some other states where you may reside. I'm in Indiana and about to acquire a very expensive diesel pusher. Indiana's plate will run north of $2500 annually. That is why I will use the Montana plate service for around $300. Huge savings and you would be an idiot not to take advantage of that.
__________________
Bill & Martha more than 42 years.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella, Baxter and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #39
DWB
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 11
THOR #20059
Mo. Changed their inspection rules a couple of years ago. After the initial license you donít need another inspec for years. Just renewed mine and all I needed was 2 years of property taxes.
__________________
DWB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,403
THOR #12751
license renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I believe that you and your wife (by PA Democrat standards) are committing fraud by intentionally deceiving local PA govt and avoiding taxes & fees. Same thing where I live in CA and other Blue states.
They want their $$$$

Now, on the other hand, a Republican state like FL, AZ, or TX is much less likely to enforce the residence law.


I travel for my job..... I spend more time on the road than I do in any one place in a typical year. Iíll even work from the motorhome when I donít have to travel and be in a different state.

My company allows me to live anywhere in the US near an airport. My W-4 is out of FL where I spend the bulk of my time when I am not on the road or at our home in PA. I also do no actual business in the state of PA.

My wife does / did work in the state of PA. She pays / paid state income tax. I also have a rental property in PA and file a tax return for it and pay accordingly.

My wife has retired a year early as a result of COVID so she will likely now list FL as her legal state of residence.

I bought a home in FL over 10 years ago after the housing crisis. The first thing I did was become a FL resident because PA is such a poorly run state and the nature of my business allowed me to live anywhere.

PA would have a hard time trying to say I was avoiding their taxes. I havenít done business in PA. I get paid in FL. I vote in FL. I have credit card receipts showing all of the various cities and states I am in at any one time. Iím in FL now as I type this as well.

Now if it was NY, NJ or CA, I could see them sending the dogs after anyone who lived in those states and then started claiming FL, AZ or TX as their residence.

There was a story this week about people from high state taxes starting to leave as the new administration unfolds. There is going to be an avalanche of people doing this very soon so the high tax states will be very busy chasing those people.
__________________

__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×