Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
I have a rarely-used auto that needed emissions testing done yearly in my residence state of Illinois (before I moved to Tennessee), where it was registered. I stored the vehicle in Tennessee, at our 2nd home, though, and didn't see any sense of driving it 10 hours just to get tested. In Illinois, you needed to pass the emissions test in order to be allowed to register and get plates. I applied for an extension/exemption from testing, due to the car being in storage, out of state, and was still able to plate the vehicle. All that was needed was some sort of documentation showing where the vehicle was stored. I was able to do this for two years before the state no longer granted the extensions... but I was ready to change my residency by then. Perhaps you can do something similar with your stored camper...?

Old 11-12-2020, 03:04 AM   #42

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
After 9/11...... you legally can only have one driver's license based on your state of residence and all vehicles must then be registered in that state.

The state of registration controls any vehicle inspection requirements, etc.

Insurance companies "prefer" vehicles are stored in the state of registration.
Judge, please state the law. I have a friend that resides in AL, lives in a motorhome in AL but has property in Mississippi. His MH is licensed in MS. Has been in AL for nearly 5 years and I mentioned to him that he may be in violation of a law pertaining to license and insurance coverage.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #43

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Based on my experience, that is not necessarily the case. There are only a couple states that allow you to be a resident of one state and have your vehicle registered in another state.

Most states require that once you have established residency in their state, you have X days (30 days in many) to obtain your drivers license and then register the vehicle in your name in that same state.

Here are the states where the DL state does not need to match the registration state:

Delaware
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania

There are a few exceptions to this rule such as members of military, college students and some others.

My wife and I split time between FL and PA. We are both originally from PA and still have family there. I have my DL in FL as my home state and my wife has her DL in PA as her home state. This allows us to keep a car registered in FL and a car registered in PA.

New York requires license, registration to be done within 30 days of residency, also if purchasing outside the state taxes are required to be paid and registration are required in order for them to recognize insurance on unit! I just went thru the battle with the state!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #44

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I think some of you live in the state of confusion. DL and veh are two completely different things and separate offices in separate buildings and separate people every where I have ever lived. How would the DL place know what or how many veh we own? None of these states require you to have DL to purchase or title a veh. I do know some states do reguire a DL to title a veh for some strange reason. In the 3 states I am referencing a 6 month old child could be listed on the title as the legal owner with the parents permission.
We have veh currently registered in NE, TX and MT. They are all insured thru the same agency, the same ins co and on the same policy. The registered owner is different on each, and one of them is a MT LLC. We both still have NE CDL licenses. Never had a single problem or been questioned anywhere by anyone. We maintain residency in NE. YEMV

Bill

Don’t know where you’re from, but in NY the DMV issues both your drivers license and vehicle registrations. For walk in I is done by the County but regulated by the State, for online renewals it’s done through the State of NY. Again your license and registration are required to be the same within 30 days of residency. If you purchase a new vehicle the state won’t recognize insurance policy until sales taxes are paid to to the state.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #45

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
license renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlanchard View Post
Judge, please state the law. I have a friend that resides in AL, lives in a motorhome in AL but has property in Mississippi. His MH is licensed in MS. Has been in AL for nearly 5 years and I mentioned to him that he may be in violation of a law pertaining to license and insurance coverage.

One of the things the 9/11 Commission learned was some of the terrorists had multiple ID's / drivers licenses. Some with 17 different names based on 17 different state drivers licenses.

As part of the move to REAL ID's, the federal government started requiring that people surrender their current drivers license when applying for a drivers license in another state so no person could hold a valid drivers license in more than one state.

Now individual states have different rules for when you have to apply for a drivers license and transfer your vehicle registration upon moving to their state. Many states say that once you have established residency (deed, rental agreement, utilities bills, etc.) for 30 days, you must apply for a drivers license in that state and register your vehicle in that state.

Then, most personal insurance carriers require you to be insured in the state in which you are registered. You must then provide proof of vehicle registration in that state for most insurance carriers to provide coverage for that vehicle.

In my case, my wife's car and our motorhome are registered in PA in her name since she declares PA as her state of residency. The PA house is in her name. The vehicles are stored there and insured there. My vehicle is registered in FL since I am a FL resident and it is stored and insured in the state of FL. The FL home is in my name but I also own a rental property in PA.

Now we don't live in Russia and we can drive across state borders and spend a lot of time out of our home state... traveling.... visiting relatives..... working, etc. You won't be violating any laws and your insurance carrier will cover you if there is an accident, theft, etc. while out of your home state.

I'm not an expert and don't know the specific laws for each state but if your friend established residency in AL (he owns a house, rents, has utility bills in his name, etc.), he should find out AL requirements for recognizing residency and if he must get an AL license, registration and insurance. Residency also requires you spend 51% of time in that state.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #46

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
well, maybe, but right now I have no less than FOUR in my pocket :
GEORGIA(former), NORTH CAROLINA, ALABAMA, and now a 'new' GEORGIA again. None of these states 'took' my license for the former state when registering for a new one, though only AL punched a hole in my NC when registering there - but still handed it back to me : )

states also now mostly access a central database, so each knows what other states you might already hold/have held a license in ... yes, they don't allow you to have two 'active' at the same time.

A quick search for the laws in those states regarding multiple drivers license returns government website that state clearly that having more than one DL either in 'your possession' or in 'your control' is up to a felony charge. But I am just giving information directly from their websites.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #47

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I think some of you live in the state of confusion. DL and veh are two completely different things and separate offices in separate buildings and separate people every where I have ever lived. How would the DL place know what or how many veh we own? None of these states require you to have DL to purchase or title a veh. I do know some states do reguire a DL to title a veh for some strange reason. In the 3 states I am referencing a 6 month old child could be listed on the title as the legal owner with the parents permission.
We have veh currently registered in NE, TX and MT. They are all insured thru the same agency, the same ins co and on the same policy. The registered owner is different on each, and one of them is a MT LLC. We both still have NE CDL licenses. Never had a single problem or been questioned anywhere by anyone. We maintain residency in NE. YEMV

Bill

I agree mostly, however we lived in MI for 40 years before moving to TN. In MI there is the 'Secretary of State' offices. The offices handled drivers license, vehicle registration/title, voters registration, watercraft registration/title,organ donor registry. However in TN there is the DMV for Drivers license, voters registration and County Clerks Office takes care of the vehicle, watercraft registration, passports etc.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #48

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think years ago that 'law' might have made more sense, but now that states share information with each other, there's no 'risk' that someone has several 'active' licenses in differing states - but, in the end, what difference does it really make anyway. If you think about it, it's only a representation of who you are, with your picture and your personal info - there's nothing that you can 'do' with it that you couldn't do before.
And, if those laws were actually viable, WHY would then the local DMV give you BACK the very license you just showed them from another state?

No, I don't think those 'laws' are very applicable, or meaningful. If they were, the DMV would have taken my AL license when I applied in GA - but, they didn't.

I don't know of anything I can 'do' with an out of state license anyway. I just have them because I have them.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #49

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlanchard View Post

I've 'lived' in my motorhome off and on for many years now - have had only a GA tag on it the whole time, since I renew the tag automatically online and they mail me the tag decal. If you think about it, an RV is a vehicle, and is not designed to be 'parked' in the same place all the time, so therefore it's reasonable that folks are not going to necessarily feel the need to 'register' it in every different state they travel to, regardless of whether they stay there one night, or 365 nights. The state where you register it doesn't care either. Your insurer may have some underwriting rules having to do with 'permanent' location, but again, since you are a 'mobile' home, it's very uncommon for any insurer to ever be able to somehow 'pin down' where you are and make some issue of it.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #50

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So let me get this straight:

My name is Bill Hates and I have a few dollars to my name.

I own a house in Washington state and keep 2 vehicles there for my personal use.

I also have a house in Texas, Connecticut, and Florida, all of which I keep one or two of my personal vehicles there for personal use. Let's not even get into my house and cars in the Bahamas.

I only have my Washington state drivers license as I can drive anywhere in the US and in most countries around the world with it.

Are you telling me I can't register my Texas, Connecticut and Florida vehicles in the location where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington Drivers License?
And that no insurance company will insure those vehicle where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington state Drivers License?

That sure makes it difficult for me and my friends in similar circumstances to drive legally at our vacation homes with our vacation vehicles.

Signed - Your Friend Bill
To me, someone does not know the laws in every state but are trying to put all 50 of them into one basket. We moved/transferred from MI to TN, upon doing that I did change my DL and vehicle registration since I was employed there and it was required to get a commercial drivers license from TN. When my wife joined me 2 months later she did not change her DL right away but the vehicle registration/plate was due to expire so she did change that. MI drivers license and 2 documents showing you have a residence in TN. I was actual in a RV park monthly and the electric meter was turned on in my name with their address. My wife used her MI drivers license and the cell phone bill and bank account statement with both our names on it. Hence she drove a vehicle titled and registered in TN in her name with a MI drivers license. so your question is very valid. Enjoy your multi state/country life and all those vehicles. lol
Old 11-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #51

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Many of you are aware of the “South Dakota” option where vehicle licensing is abut $50/yr.

Several companies advertise legal addresses in SD where mail can be received (as a primary address) and forwarded to anywhere in the country for a small fee.

So, the theory is that you license all your vehicles in SD and receive a SD driver’s license (all easily done thru the mail without ever going to SD).
Hence, you use that same SD address to file your taxes.

Many full-timers do this even if they own a home in another state.

A small correction of the law. South Dakota does in fact require you to show that you are in that state and any of those companies do not qualify. However you can simply stay in a hotel/motel for one night and take the receipt in for proof you are actually there, required at least for the first time around.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #52

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl61 View Post
A quick search for the laws in those states regarding multiple drivers license returns government website that state clearly that having more than one DL either in 'your possession' or in 'your control' is up to a felony charge. But I am just giving information directly from their websites.

I agree with you. The problem is most people don't realize how much 9/11 changed everything and the laws enacted as a result.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #53

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
And in some counties, like mine, the Tax Collector issues DLs and plates. Concealed Carry is issued by the state.

Your lucky then. In TN, the tax collector in the County Clerk and City Clerk. The County Clerk issues titles, registrations etc. while the DMV issues drivers license. The carry permits are also at the DMV, however you must go to the City Clerks office to get an appointment for a federal background check.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #54

THOR #12751
For the naysayers who think it is legal to hold multiple drivers licenses and want to see the law...... here it is..... it is a Federal law that was part of the 9/11 Commission's recommendations and the REAL ID Act.

Before attempting to obtain your REAL ID from your state of residence, you better terminate your other licenses or as previously posted, you will be / are committing a federal offense.

And hopefully no one from the FBI is a member on this site. It would be their duty to investigate claims of people holding multiple state ID's. This is about our nations security as much as anything.

6 CFR § 37.29 - Prohibition against holding more than one REAL ID card or more than one driver's license.

§ 37.29 Prohibition against holding more than one REAL ID card or more than one driver's license.

(a) An individual may hold only one REAL ID card. An individual cannot hold a REAL ID driver's license and a REAL ID identification card simultaneously. Nothing shall preclude an individual from holding a REAL ID card and a non-REAL ID card unless prohibited by his or her State.

(b) Prior to issuing a REAL ID driver's license,

(1) A State must check with all other States to determine if the applicant currently holds a driver's license or REAL ID identification card in another State.

(2) If the State receives confirmation that the individual holds a driver's license in another State, or possesses a REAL ID identification card in another State, the receiving State must take measures to confirm that the person has terminated or is terminating the driver's license or REAL ID identification card issued by the prior State pursuant to State law, regulation or procedure.

(c) Prior to issuing a REAL ID identification card,

(1) A State must check with all other States to determine if the applicant currently holds a REAL ID driver's license or identification card in another State.

(2) If the State receives confirmation that the individual holds a REAL ID card in another State the receiving State must take measures to confirm that the person has terminated or is terminating the REAL ID driver's license or identification card issued by the prior State pursuant to State law, regulation or procedure.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #55

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Lots of high end (expensive) rig owners register and plate their RV in Montana through one of the agency's there that specialize in that. You can use their (100%) legal RV plating services for a few hundred dollars per year rather than the oppressive plate costs in some other states where you may reside. I'm in Indiana and about to acquire a very expensive diesel pusher. Indiana's plate will run north of $2500 annually. That is why I will use the Montana plate service for around $300. Huge savings and you would be an idiot not to take advantage of that.

Just a comment. WOW!!! Sorry, but I am sure glad I have a residential 'home of record' address in TN. You state you pay a couple of hundred just for the service, in TN we pay less then $100.00 for the actual registration. That amount changes with the amount of passenger seats, 1-7 is the same price regardless of size/value of the vehicle. Just surprised on how much other states are.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #56

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I have a rarely-used auto that needed emissions testing done yearly in my residence state of Illinois (before I moved to Tennessee), where it was registered. I stored the vehicle in Tennessee, at our 2nd home, though, and didn't see any sense of driving it 10 hours just to get tested. In Illinois, you needed to pass the emissions test in order to be allowed to register and get plates. I applied for an extension/exemption from testing, due to the car being in storage, out of state, and was still able to plate the vehicle. All that was needed was some sort of documentation showing where the vehicle was stored. I was able to do this for two years before the state no longer granted the extensions... but I was ready to change my residency by then. Perhaps you can do something similar with your stored camper...?

Not sure why you would even need to do this. When we moved from MI our vehicles needed the emission testing, whereas the county we moved to does not have that requirement. My wife's car registration (from MI) was about to expire so she titled and registered it in TN, while having a MI drivers license. The documents needed for this is minimal and can be done almost immediately upon arrival. Not only that, but the plate/registration for my vehicle was almost $200.00 in MI while TN was less then $60.00 at that time. As far as the address we used, it was a RV park I spent 2 months with electric bill in our name. That bill and a statement from a local bank was all she needed to register/title her vehicle.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #57

THOR #20931
Quote:
One of the things the 9/11 Commission learned was some of the terrorists had multiple ID's / drivers licenses. Some with 17 different names based on 17 different state drivers licenses.

As part of the move to REAL ID's, the federal government started requiring that people surrender their current drivers license when applying for a drivers license in another state so no person could hold a valid drivers license in more than one state.

Now individual states have different rules for when you have to apply for a drivers license and transfer your vehicle registration upon moving to their state. Many states say that once you have established residency (deed, rental agreement, utilities bills, etc.) for 30 days, you must apply for a drivers license in that state and register your vehicle in that state.

Then, most personal insurance carriers require you to be insured in the state in which you are registered. You must then provide proof of vehicle registration in that state for most insurance carriers to provide coverage for that vehicle.

In my case, my wife's car and our motorhome are registered in PA in her name since she declares PA as her state of residency. The PA house is in her name. The vehicles are stored there and insured there. My vehicle is registered in FL since I am a FL resident and it is stored and insured in the state of FL. The FL home is in my name but I also own a rental property in PA.

Now we don't live in Russia and we can drive across state borders and spend a lot of time out of our home state... traveling.... visiting relatives..... working, etc. You won't be violating any laws and your insurance carrier will cover you if there is an accident, theft, etc. while out of your home state.

I'm not an expert and don't know the specific laws for each state but if your friend established residency in AL (he owns a house, rents, has utility bills in his name, etc.), he should find out AL requirements for recognizing residency and if he must get an AL license, registration and insurance. Residency also requires you spend 51% of time in that state.

Re: 9/11/2001
This is somewhat false information. We moved from MI to TN, April of 2000 and was required to surrender our drivers license upon applying for our TN drivers license. Very few states allow multiple drivers license it is against the law. The terrorist that were involved in the 9/11/2001 disobeyed the law the states simply did not follow up on their own laws, which allowed them to retain more then one because of the states lax enforcement. That has absolutely nothing to do with "Is it legal", it is not legal and has not been legal for dozens of years in almost all cases.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #58

THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Don’t know where you’re from, but in NY the DMV issues both your drivers license and vehicle registrations. For walk in I is done by the County but regulated by the State, for online renewals it’s done through the State of NY. Again your license and registration are required to be the same within 30 days of residency. If you purchase a new vehicle the state won’t recognize insurance policy until sales taxes are paid to to the state.

We moved from MI to TN in 2000. While MI 'Secretary of State' handled everything similar to NY, TN DMV did drivers license, while County Clerk did registration/title. The same 30 day restriction applies in TN also.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #59

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl61 View Post
Re: 9/11/2001
This is somewhat false information. We moved from MI to TN, April of 2000 and was required to surrender our drivers license upon applying for our TN drivers license. Very few states allow multiple drivers license it is against the law. The terrorist that were involved in the 9/11/2001 disobeyed the law the states simply did not follow up on their own laws, which allowed them to retain more then one because of the states lax enforcement. That has absolutely nothing to do with "Is it legal", it is not legal and has not been legal for dozens of years in almost all cases.

This is why the REAL ID Act was passed as a Federal Law....... to force the states to follow the law and provide federal guidance that it is illegal to hold more than one REAL ID or drivers license at any one time.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #60

State: Missouri
THOR #19762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Check with Colorado DMV.
I do have property in Colorado. Sounds like I need to talk to Colorado DMV, and my insurance agent here in Missouri.