Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #19762
license renewal

I live in Missouri, but store my RV in Colorado. When my plates are due, I would have to have it inspected in Colorado. Do I get Colorado plates? I'm not sure how this works.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Check with Colorado DMV.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1bone View Post
I live in Missouri, but store my RV in Colorado. When my plates are due, I would have to have it inspected in Colorado. Do I get Colorado plates? I'm not sure how this works.
Where is the RV registered, in Missouri or in Colorado? If currently registered in Missouri why would you have to get it inspected in Colorado? Is this a storage facility requirement and if so do they require Colorado plates as well or only a safety inspection? If registered in Missouri, do they require a safety inspection because if they do I doubt a Colorado inspection would satisfy the requirement.

You don't provide enough info for any suggestions besides a guess.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
After 9/11...... you legally can only have one driver's license based on your state of residence and all vehicles must then be registered in that state.

The state of registration controls any vehicle inspection requirements, etc.

Insurance companies "prefer" vehicles are stored in the state of registration.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Drivers license and vehicle registration and inspection are two different things. Generally:

You get your drivers license in your state of residence. I can't possibly cover all of the residence rules, but it is basically where you call home.

You register vehicles in the state where you use them the most. If you store your MH in another state and use it in that state for the plurality of the time, then that is where you need to register it.

Some states allow you to have it inspected in another state for renewals. Check with the state for their rules.

David
Old 11-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Drivers license and vehicle registration and inspection are two different things. Generally:

You get your drivers license in your state of residence. I can't possibly cover all of the residence rules, but it is basically where you call home.

You register vehicles in the state where you use them the most. If you store your MH in another state and use it in that state for the plurality of the time, then that is where you need to register it.

Some states allow you to have it inspected in another state for renewals. Check with the state for their rules.

David

Based on my experience, that is not necessarily the case. There are only a couple states that allow you to be a resident of one state and have your vehicle registered in another state.

Most states require that once you have established residency in their state, you have X days (30 days in many) to obtain your drivers license and then register the vehicle in your name in that same state.

Here are the states where the DL state does not need to match the registration state:

Delaware
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania

There are a few exceptions to this rule such as members of military, college students and some others.

My wife and I split time between FL and PA. We are both originally from PA and still have family there. I have my DL in FL as my home state and my wife has her DL in PA as her home state. This allows us to keep a car registered in FL and a car registered in PA.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
add ALABAMA to that list, as well - we moved there last year, and had no issues whatsoever registering all four of our vehicles with an out of state license - which happened to be NC at that time. They did not care at all. Of course, though, they DID require documents to show our 'new' resident address in ALABAMA, along with utility bill, etc.

Now, after moving back to GEORGIA, though, just now, yes, THEY require you to have a GA LICENSE before you can ever register any vehicle.

For your RV that is 'stored' in CO, it matters not, as CO has no jurisdiction over that, since you don't RESIDE there - your RESIDENT state determines your TAG REGISTRATION, not just where your RV happens to 'sit'. If you don't live in CO, you won't be getting a TAG there, no matter whether you want to or not.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #8

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
After 9/11...... you legally can only have one driver's license based on your state of residence ...

well, maybe, but right now I have no less than FOUR in my pocket :
GEORGIA(former), NORTH CAROLINA, ALABAMA, and now a 'new' GEORGIA again. None of these states 'took' my license for the former state when registering for a new one, though only AL punched a hole in my NC when registering there - but still handed it back to me : )

states also now mostly access a central database, so each knows what other states you might already hold/have held a license in ... yes, they don't allow you to have two 'active' at the same time.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
One exception to motor vehicles as far as registration goes is if you own property and or have a mailing address

Then you are able often to have plates from a different state than your primary residence
Old 11-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
well, maybe, but right now I have no less than FOUR in my pocket :
GEORGIA(former), NORTH CAROLINA, ALABAMA, and now a 'new' GEORGIA again. None of these states 'took' my license for the former state when registering for a new one, though only AL punched a hole in my NC when registering there - but still handed it back to me : )

states also now mostly access a central database, so each knows what other states you might already hold/have held a license in ... yes, they don't allow you to have two 'active' at the same time.

Don’t let let your insurance company find out you claim residence in one state and register vehicles in another or multiple other states. I have heard about a couple people accused of committing insurance fraud when rates in the registration state were lower than the state of residence. They had to jump through some big hoops to prove there was a valid exception for it.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #11

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
My drivers license says it’s illegal to have more than one. On the back
Old 11-07-2020, 12:23 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Don’t let let your insurance company find out you claim residence in one state and register vehicles in another or multiple other states. I have heard about a couple people accused of committing insurance fraud when rates in the registration state were lower than the state of residence. They had to jump through some big hoops to prove there was a valid exception for it.
Vehicle registrations and vehicle insurance must be from the same State..
Registrations and driver's licenses are dealt with based upon how the States involved want to play the game...
Old 11-07-2020, 12:45 AM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I think some of you live in the state of confusion. DL and veh are two completely different things and separate offices in separate buildings and separate people every where I have ever lived. How would the DL place know what or how many veh we own? None of these states require you to have DL to purchase or title a veh. I do know some states do reguire a DL to title a veh for some strange reason. In the 3 states I am referencing a 6 month old child could be listed on the title as the legal owner with the parents permission.
We have veh currently registered in NE, TX and MT. They are all insured thru the same agency, the same ins co and on the same policy. The registered owner is different on each, and one of them is a MT LLC. We both still have NE CDL licenses. Never had a single problem or been questioned anywhere by anyone. We maintain residency in NE. YEMV

Bill
Old 11-07-2020, 12:59 AM   #14

THOR #4735
as an agent, I can assure that unless you have a COMMERCIAL Auto policy, there is NO insurance company that is going to insure vehicles registered in differing states, IF THEY KNOW THEY ARE. Their application actually ASKS if each vehicle is licensed/registered/tagged in the state that the policy is ISSUED for.

The reason is simple: EACH STATE HAS IT'S OWN RULES AND INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS, period.
Now, a COMMERCIAL Insurance policy is different, since it is NOT personal insurance and does NOT fall into the same 'realm' of insurance regulations as PERSONAL INSURANCE. They are not regulated by states, so therefore they can more easily 'cover' vehicles that might be registered in different state, although the policy itself will most CERTAINLY have greater LIABILITY coverage than any state would require, regardless, and will have a clause that provides that the policy coverages will 'conform' to any state regulations, if any, the vehicle is driving in/thru, since even commercial vehicles, or at least vehicles insured on a commercial policy, can certainly be used for 'personal' reasons from time to time, which then puts them under different scrutiny versus when a vehicle is being used for commercial purposes. Ask any semi truck owner.

STATES regulate insurance. No state allows you to insure a vehicle here, but that you register 'there', in another state, and vice versa. No state is also going to register your vehicle in their state if you have it insured in another state.
Insurance and Registration go hand in hand. If you have three vehicles tagged and registered in three different states, you would have to have three different insurance policies, period.(and you'd also have to somehow 'prove' that you have residency in all three different states, at least when you first register each one in these states. Now, if you've moved since you registered a vehicle, and you can 'renew' your registration/tag online, no other 'proof' may be needed.)
Old 11-07-2020, 01:03 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree!
Old 11-07-2020, 01:21 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
DL and veh are two completely different things and separate offices in separate buildings and separate people every where I have ever lived.
In Florida, the exact same buildings, the exact same offices, the exact same people, the exact same computer systems handle driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, even concealed carry permits.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:22 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
So let me get this straight:

My name is Bill Hates and I have a few dollars to my name.

I own a house in Washington state and keep 2 vehicles there for my personal use.

I also have a house in Texas, Connecticut, and Florida, all of which I keep one or two of my personal vehicles there for personal use. Let's not even get into my house and cars in the Bahamas.

I only have my Washington state drivers license as I can drive anywhere in the US and in most countries around the world with it.

Are you telling me I can't register my Texas, Connecticut and Florida vehicles in the location where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington Drivers License?
And that no insurance company will insure those vehicle where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington state Drivers License?

That sure makes it difficult for me and my friends in similar circumstances to drive legally at our vacation homes with our vacation vehicles.

Signed - Your Friend Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill.png
Views:	51
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	27056  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:25 AM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It all depends on your insurers in each State allowing you to obtain insurance (and registrations); with a license from your home State...
Old 11-07-2020, 02:38 AM   #19

State: California
THOR #20374
Florida registration

In our motorcoach Florida and are having trouble getting our Florida drivers license. Without our license we cant register our motorcoach. Just moved here from California bought our coach in Arizona. Have a Florida adress with escapees but they say we cant use a PO box for registration. Any ideas??
Old 11-07-2020, 02:42 AM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you've moved to Florida: just use your physical address.