Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2018, 01:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
limited Gas purchase using Credit Card.

I like to run the gas gauge down to just above a 1/4 tank before filling up. Does anyone know a way around the usual $100 dollar limit using a credit card? I've been told it's the gas station that sets the limit. I asked if they could bypass that limit and let me fill up. The answers have been no. Is there a particular company that allows fill-ups?

Old 03-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I don't recall having any issues filling up at Pilot or Love's truck stops and my fill ups can be 40 or 50 gallons at a time.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I like to run the gas gauge down to just above a 1/4 tank before filling up. Does anyone know a way around the usual $100 dollar limit using a credit card? I've been told it's the gas station that sets the limit. I asked if they could bypass that limit and let me fill up. The answers have been no. Is there a particular company that allows fill-ups?
I've always been told you can just start a second purchase. I am sure Pilot allows fill ups. Don't know for sure since I only have a 25 gal. tank.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:34 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Lucky you it's $75 here in MA, so I end up flagging my card twice. Sokay it usually just pisses off the person behind me even more.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I've reached my $65 max on Shell card many times. I have been told by the store to go inside and prepay for your desired amount.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #6

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I've reached my $65 max on Shell card many times. I have been told by the store to go inside and prepay for your desired amount.
Just give Shell a call, and tell them to "up the anti"....
I have the Shell small business card, Called Shell and they upped it to a $100 per transaction and up to 6 transactions per day. with a $6,000 limit per month...We have a 200 gallon fuel tank..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Had this problem years ago when we first got our DP with 100-gallon tank. If I remember right it was the gasoline station (brand) and not the credit card company setting the limit.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #8

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Had this problem years ago when we first got our DP with 100-gallon tank. If I remember right it was the gasoline station (brand) and not the credit card company setting the limit.
Yup, it can be the station setting a dollar limit per transaction or as our CC had set a 2 transactions per 24 hours limit..
All it took was a lengthy phone call to correct the issues..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I just swipe again to get what I need - but every station is different - some under $100, some as high as $125 - even Walmart Murphy’s - and that’s while using their OWN Walmart credit card! strange, but true : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
200 gallon tank...damn...I would hate to fill that up. Don't want to be behind you.

Normally, I just pop in a different credit card and keep on moving. I don't even notice it anymore.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Run it on a debit card. You can do multiple purchases on debit, but credit only lets you do one. At least that's what happens for me. Usually a $75 limit here.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Got gas at two Flying J's this week with both purchases exceeding 100 dollars without stopping. I use a Pilot Flying J card to gas up. Not sure if that is the reason why there is no limit.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I own a gas station so I am asked this question often. When you swipe your card the credit card provider has no way of knowing how much your going to put on it. All they do is verify the card is active and authorize the transaction. The card provider typically puts a $50 - $100 limit to stop the transaction, depending on whether it is a MC, Visa or some other proprietary card.

This is system is in place to allow "pay-at-the-pump" to exist. The station operator can opt out of the system, thereby removing the cap set by the provider, but that makes them responsible for the entire transaction, should it be fraudulent.

As long as the station uses the caps set by the provider, they are not accountable for fraudulent cards...up to that limit. That's why the station puts the auto stop at the levels of guarantee by the provider.

I argued with the Visa/MC provider about allowing me to be responsible for the amounts in excess of the caps they set, but it is an all or nothing deal they set.

Inside transactions are not held to this limit because the retailer gets to "see" the purchaser and has the option of verifying the validity of the purchaser or even rejecting the sale.

Just a side note...most truck stops, due to the percentage of over limit purchases, opt out of the program so they do not auto stop at a predetermined dollar amount.

In the convenience store world the average sale is 12 gallons. I'm not willing to remove the guarantee given by the card provider on all transactions, for the few that exceed that cap.

This may be more information than anyone cares to know, but there you go. Bottom line, just swipe your card again to finish your fill up. Oh, one other note. Some cards will not allow more than 2 transactions in close time due to the threat of fraudulent use. A third swipe may case an "invalid card" or "frequent user" warning and not permit the sale.

I hope I was able to explain the process to everyone's understanding.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Interesting...

There is a gas station near our storage lot that I frequent (filling up before putting it away or after getting it out of storage). Sometimes I have to double charge there and sometimes I don't--it seems as if the one cashier is there that recognizes me then I go past the limit and don't have to double charge.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #15

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting...

There is a gas station near our storage lot that I frequent (filling up before putting it away or after getting it out of storage). Sometimes I have to double charge there and sometimes I don't--it seems as if the one cashier is there that recognizes me then I go past the limit and don't have to double charge.
The limit is set in the program of the system and the network. Can not be done on an individual basis. The only explanation for what you experienced is the network may be temporarily off line. In that case the card is simply authorized with no limit as set by the card provider, since it is unable to access the network. The station has to decide for its default setting in the event of temporary loss of network...either reject all cards or approve all cards.

I can tell you most operators have no idea how this works. The only reason I understand it is (before I bought my own C-Store) I was the CEO for a chain that had its own proprietary card.

Most operators, even if they have their own card, are still using either Visa or MasterCard networks so are still bound by the outdated regulations. It is frustrating but even a sizable chain can not fight the regulations set by the network providers. You either follow their rules or assume all risk. Even debit cards are subject to these caps unless they are Shazam only with no MC/Visa logo.

With all the said..."You don't know what you don't know." Perhaps there is some exception that I am not familiar with.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Can you explain what happens, why & how the "Bank Hold" works? Where it looks like your card was charged twice for the one transaction for 24hrs or so?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just take what they give me on the first purchase, and repeat the process.
I've spoken with Exxon/Mobil about this, and they confirmed that it is the individual stations that set the limits.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #18

Model: challenger 37YT
THOR #6874
I have a Marathon card that got rejected after pumping $180 worth of gas. I called the company and they told me I had a $150 per purchase limit. I told to either raise the limit to $200 or lower the price of fuel so I can fill my RV. They said it’s a fleet card can’t be lowered, I said I own the fleet, want to see what I can do next ? They raised it for my card only. The rest all stayed the same. Negotiations are cool !
Old 03-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #19

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I just take what they give me on the first purchase, and repeat the process.
I've spoken with Exxon/Mobil about this, and they confirmed that it is the individual stations that set the limits.
Exxon/Mobile, assuming they are using MC/Visa network is not being completely honest with that statement. As I said earlier, the station has the right to refuse the guarantee offered by the provider (MC/Visa as example) as business owners always judge the revenue with the risk involved. If 98% of your customers purchase less than 12 gallons per transaction, it is not good business to put all that at risk for the 2% that may have to swipe their card twice. The provider is the one that sets the caps...the retailer has the right to accept that guarantee or not.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #20

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
I have a Marathon card that got rejected after pumping $180 worth of gas. I called the company and they told me I had a $150 per purchase limit. I told to either raise the limit to $200 or lower the price of fuel so I can fill my RV. They said it’s a fleet card can’t be lowered, I said I own the fleet, want to see what I can do next ? They raised it for my card only. The rest all stayed the same. Negotiations are cool !
This is a different issue. I have $1,000 per day debit limit which can be changed with a phone call to my local bank.