Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #5487
2014 Hurricane - Hood Issues / Concerns

Good afternoon all!

My parents just picked up a 2014 Thor Hurricane 32N with 4400 miles. The unit is flawless - some things look like have been never or hardly used.

Anyway - the hood. I've read and seen a couple of posts around the hood being though to open or close. Welcome to our world. However, ours may go where nobody else's has gone before.

The pistons / struts seem extremely stiff. The number on the side is 7785QB and they are rated at 190N (42lbs) and are 329/13 which translates into ML 13-40. Here is the rub - they are so tight or rigid that it bows the center of hood out about 3/4" if the corners of the hood are flush with the front. If you try to collapse the cylinder with your hand or pushing on the ground, they seem to be much more rigid than 40lbs.

The dealer, who is not a Thor dealer, they took it in on trade for a larger more expensive Newmar, could only pull the corners in to help suck in the middle a little. They could offer no more.

So - being an Engineer, I popped the cylinders off to start looking around. We closed the hood with no cylinders attached and everything aligns beautifully!

So I ask you fellow RV owners of Thor products - most specifically Hurricanes (if it matters) what struts / cylinders / pistons do your have on your hood?

I called Thor and they said they only seen a ML 15-40 which is 2 inches longer and just the same poundage. They offered nothing else other than saying that maybe someone swapped out the incorrect cylinders or they are located incorrectly. He could even really tell me what I really needed. He did say at the end of the conversation he sees a ML 13-20 - but not really linked to our VIN.

I am asking for any help you may be able to offer. The bow looks horrible, but the hood is stiff. And a 42lb cylinder for such a light hood seems over-rated - but it could be because of the wind resistance?

Thanks -greatly appreciated.

Scott

Old 09-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
That is waaay to big for the engine hood. You can go to an auto parts store, get the same length with less lift pressure and exchange them. That's what I would do.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

THOR #5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
That is waaay to big for the engine hood. You can go to an auto parts store, get the same length with less lift pressure and exchange them. That's what I would do.
Thats my thoughts as well. Wish I could find a factory number just because. He showed a 15-40 but that gains me 3" and the same poundage. Ummmm- no.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Bowed Hood

Interesting, because my 2015 Windsport 27K has the same issue with the hood, ever since day #1 (new). It's bowed out in the middle while flush at the ends. When I unlatch the hood, it only comes up about half way and I have to lift it the rest of the way.

I never complained about it; too many other things. Now I am curious what struts are on mine so will need to take a look.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Interesting, because my 2015 Windsport 27K has the same issue with the hood, ever since day #1 (new). It's bowed out in the middle while flush at the ends. When I unlatch the hood, it only comes up about half way and I have to lift it the rest of the way.

I never complained about it; too many other things. Now I am curious what struts are on mine so will need to take a look.
2015 Hurricane is the same as yours. I lubricated all the joints and it seems to have helped it some.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I also had issues with the lifts on my Challenger hood. Once I lubricated all the joints, opening and closing the hood much better but its still a two hand use your body weight for assistance job in closing. I noticed one time after getting back home that the left side hood latch came open. The latches on both sides were loose. I added some lock washers and the latches now stay secure. Amazing that they couldn't even get this right before the unit left the factory.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I initially had a wind whistle about 50-55 mph, it was loud AND annoying!!! The top of the hood stuck out at least 3/4 inch, VERY hard to open. First was lube the pivot points with silicone with teflon and work up and down several times. Next was adjust hood so that it contacted to rubber bumpers. Took several tries to get the adjustment correct but now no whistle, and the hood works smoothly. Total time was about 20 min and worth it.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #8

THOR #5487
Wow - thanks for the replies so far. At least I know we are not alone. Safety in numbers . Does anyone have a number of what they have on their coach? Ours is a Master Lift I believe and the specs are in the first post. It just seems odd to have that high of a rating on the hood... Unless that's the lightest rating they could get on the size and style - but it seems doubtful.