Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #10374
Looking for tow vehicle

Ok folks, I’m new at this, and I’m trying to decide on a new tow vehicle, and method of towing. Suggestions Please.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
First check out this site to see a list of cars you can tow 4 wheels down.
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | Motorhome Magazine
We tow a 2016 Ford Focus using the Falcon Tow Bar and Stay-N-Play breaks. Hooking the car up takes me around 5 minutes and I don't really feel it behind me as I'm driving. It did cost me around $3500 for the set-up.
I did start out using a ACME Tow Dolly. With the dolly you have more options on what cars you can use, but does take longer to hook up and unhook. You also have to stop and check the straps and I have had a strap break and come loose. I like the flat towing better (4 wheels down), it gave us more peace of mind.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Which are you looking for? Are you looking for a car to pull behind a motorhome? or a truck to pull a trailer?

If you're looking for a car its "toad" (tow vehicle implies the vehicle in front doing the towing).

Ok I'm done being pedantic.

A lot of people recommend Jeeps as toads. They are probably the easiest vehicle to setup for four down towing.

Personally I usually recommend any of the Ford hybrids: Lincoln MKZ hybrid, C-Max Hybrid or Energi, or Fusion Hybrid or Energi. They all can be towed four down or on a dolly and with the plug-in hybrid models (the Energi's) you can charge up at the campground and get 20+ miles of electricity only driving.

Another good one (if you are into plugging the car in) is the new Chevy Bolt which can only be dolly towed (manual page 200).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmisinco View Post
Ok folks, I’m new at this, and I’m trying to decide on a new tow vehicle, and method of towing. Suggestions Please.
Last year we bought an older 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara that already had the tow plate installed. We also bought a used Roadmaster tow bar system, and hubby did all the necessary tweaking to get things just perfect to flat tow behind our 28' Hurricane.

We've been happy with our setup. We didn't want to invest tons of money into the towing system until we were sure that was the way we wanted to go. We might end up eventually upgrading our toad, but for now (based on very little traveling lately) we're fine with our setup.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You asked a really broad question about towing, without telling the folks here what you are towing with.

There are so many variables. If you need room for more than two or two plus pets, our Miata wouldn't be your choice. Need something the is easy to get repair parts for, eliminate all the Saturns.

Motorhome magazine is a great source for flat towed vehicles, but maybe you want to try a dolly which gives you many more options. Do a search for "toad" or "towed" on this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion, pro and con.

Some folks get along fine with renting cars at their destinations. Another possible option for you. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

Model: Thor Ace 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #8470
I went this route exactly to find a tow vehicle. Also, check the Remco website as it will help you figure out what you have to add to tow based on vehicle you are considering
Old 02-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #7

THOR #6671
Jeep and Blue Ox

We have a 31-foot Thor Quantum. Bought used 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara in great condition and great price. Spent $1,900 installing Blue Ox Aventa tow package for flat tow. Jeep will hold its value for eventual resale. Easy tow - 5 minutes hookup and 5 minutes unhook.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"It's a Jeep Thing..."
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
And as a 31 year GM Employee it REALLY bugs me that we don't make a toad that convenient to flat tow!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 AM   #10
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Smart for Two.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
And as a 31 year GM Employee it REALLY bugs me that we don't make a toad that convenient to flat tow!
I stand corrected the new 2018 Equinox seems ideal. You don't even have to pull any fuses to flat tow. Just make sure the accessories are off.

Cool!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #12

THOR #6671
Yep. Lovin' my Sahara!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #13

THOR #6671
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
I queried the forum, and when 8 of 10 said Jeep and Blue Ox, I listened. No regrets. And yes, wonder why more manufacturers aren't getting in the game.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #14

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
"It's a Jeep Thing..."

↑ This
Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I love my 2014 Honda CRV behind my Thor Chateau 28F. Tow bar and base plate are Blue Ox. Brake system is a RVi. Like others it’s a 5 minute hook up. The 2014 is the last year you can flat tow a CRV, what a mistake by Honda..
Good luck..
Old 02-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #7217
Towe

Jeep Cherokee makes a unit drive2 just for flat towing
Old 12-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #17

Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
I bought a 2018 2.0 premier equinox, was told by dealer and Chevy learning center it can be flat towed. but the manual does not list this model as flat towable, only the 1.5. I have a FWD because I was told only FWD can be flat towed. Help!
Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #18

THOR #1589
Check out the Motorhome magazine Dingy Towing guide for your model year: http://images.goodsam.com/newmotorho...inghyGuide.pdf

It says the 1.5L or the 1.6L diesel only can be towed. You are going to have a deep discussion with the manager of the car dealership. (This is why we distrust all car salespeople, and RV salespeople, too!)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #19

Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
I am pretty angry about this. If you read that motorhome guide when it describes the new Equinox, it talks about the 2.0 model! Further along in the chart, it is not listed. I am trying to get a definitive answer before I spend the money to get the tow equipment installed. I can trade it for the 1.5... if I have to, over the winter. I do love the 2.0 turbo. Sigh.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #20

THOR #1589
You've got some homework to do to get a straight answer. The text on that Motorhome article says the 2.0 has a new 9 speed tranny. That is likely the reason for the comment.

My previous tow car was not on the list, but I did a ton of online research and found several people towing the car without a problem. Took a chance and found it towed quite nicely. I wouldn't be comfortable being the guinea pig on this one. if no one else has proved it. Good luck!